TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch failure

FordFan1

At only 2,500 miles- a catastrophoic clutch failure-

This happened when attempting to down shifting from 4th to the 3rd, it came out of 4th hard then went KABOOM- even sending pieces thru the bellhousing. (see pictures below)

Official cause of failure: A clutch disc spring had fallen out of the Ford disc and lodged in the pressure plate. This issue is something that Ford is apparently aware that can happen. They have had some vibration issues in the clutch and found loose disc springs to be the root cause.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

011.jpg

I drove it home today (150 miles) after it was all buttoned up with a new bellhousing filled with a Fidanza 2.1 Clutch kit and Aluminum Flywheel. Compared to stock it's a little grabby and rev happy :drool:

Now the challenge is to stay out of it for the next 400-500 miles to allow the clutch to properly break-in

This situation although inconvenient at the time plays well into my future plans and will work well with my E-force next spring :)

Wow, were you racing when this happened or just normal driving?

That all depends on your definition of normal driving?? Some spirited driving may have been involved :shift: but that's normal to me.. NEVER EVER HAVE I HAD ANY CLUTCH FAILURES IN 29 years of driving a stick shift including race conditions.. Early mileage failures are 98% do to some kind'va part malfunction not neglect.

:o .... wow at only 2,500 miles? Great set up you went with but why not let it be covered under warranty?

Ford Warranty took care of everything including towing & rental car. I elected to have the dealership installed the upgraded parts, I purchased them from a local performance shop on my own while the oppurtunity offered itself. I choose this particular dealership based on there willingness to work with there customers on installing upgrade parts. These parts won't be covered under warranty from here forward but that's OK with me...

Hey, Isn't this the car that was stolen from the dealer's lot? Did Ford deny warranty service due to that???

Yes, but 1.5 miles of driving after it was stolen would not have contribed to any of this... Failure analysis confirm that there was no abuse issues (hot spots, extreme wear) this was just a case of part failure. There really wasn't much warning but a minor vibration at various RPM's.

At only 2,500 miles- a catastrophoic clutch failure-

This happened when attempting to down shifting from 4th to the 3rd, it came out of 4th hard then went KABOOM- even sending pieces thru the bellhousing. (see pictures below)

Official cause of failure: A clutch disc spring had fallen out of the Ford disc and lodged in the pressure plate. This issue is something that Ford is apparently aware that can happen. They have had some vibration issues in the clutch and found loose disc springs to be the root cause.

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

011.jpg

I drove it home today (150 miles) after it was all buttoned up with a new bellhousing filled with a Fidanza 2.1 Clutch kit and Aluminum Flywheel. Compared to stock it's a little grabby and rev happy :drool:

Now the challenge is to stay out of it for the next 400-500 miles to allow the clutch to properly break-in

This situation although inconvenient at the time plays well into my future plans and will work well with my E-force next spring :)

Hey, I just dropped my sgt off at the dealership for a on going vibration and the other nite it sounded like I blew my engine but when the clutch was engaged it stopped knocking.

Hey, I just dropped my sgt off at the dealership for a on going vibration and the other nite it sounded like I blew my engine but when the clutch was engaged it stopped knocking.

Hopefully they will find the issue- keep us posted on the out come-

• 2 weeks later...

Archived