TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint Blemishes

ACCLERCR

Hello all!

While doing a detailed spray&wipe on my '08 GT-500, I noticed two paint blemishes. :banghead:

The first one is on the hood, right in the front. In the front of the car, looking at the hood, there is a pimple to the left of the racing stripe. Some type of particle must have been present when they sprayed the car at the factory...this should NOT have passed Quality Control in my opinion.

The 2nd one is on the driver side door...the front part of the door, at the thin part (near the gap...when the door opens, this area turns in) It seems like a little touch up paint was used either at the factory or at the dealer. It's about a 1/3 inch long and an 1/8 of an inch wide...no big deal right? But for the price paid for this special car, it should have been reported or fixed professionally.

Okay, so what do I do? Rollover, and move on with my life and just watch these 2 areas? Contact the dealership? Please help...thanks!

Hello all!

While doing a detailed spray&wipe on my '08 GT-500, I noticed two paint blemishes. :banghead:

The first one is on the hood, right in the front. In the front of the car, looking at the hood, there is a pimple to the left of the racing stripe. Some type of particle must have been present when they sprayed the car at the factory...this should NOT have passed Quality Control in my opinion.

The 2nd one is on the driver side door...the front part of the door, at the thin part (near the gap...when the door opens, this area turns in) It seems like a little touch up paint was used either at the factory or at the dealer. It's about a 1/3 inch long and an 1/8 of an inch wide...no big deal right? But for the price paid for this special car, it should have been reported or fixed professionally.

Okay, so what do I do? Rollover, and move on with my life and just watch these 2 areas? Contact the dealership? Please help...thanks!

Something to consider, most aftermarket paint work will have some type of inperfection no matter how good it is. I wouldn't get it re painted unless it was really bad and you just couldn't live with it. As for the area they touched up, carefully 2500 grit and buff can minimise that in most cases.

Something to consider, most aftermarket paint work will have some type of inperfection no matter how good it is. I wouldn't get it re painted unless it was really bad and you just couldn't live with it. As for the area they touched up, carefully 2500 grit and buff can minimise that in most cases.

Agreed. Leave well enough alone. A hood re-paint would probably make matters worse. Remember, even though its got a big engine and goodies attached, its still a Mustang and goes down the same line with even the lowliest of 6 cylinder cars (no disrespect intended to those vehicles) Keep things in perspective and enjoy the power. Still one of the best buys for all the power you receive.

Agreed. Leave well enough alone. A hood re-paint would probably make matters worse. Remember, even though its got a big engine and goodies attached, its still a Mustang and goes down the same line with even the lowliest of 6 cylinder cars (no disrespect intended to those vehicles) Keep things in perspective and enjoy the power. Still one of the best buys for all the power you receive.

Thanks guys for the replies...same page...I will stick...as I blur the landscape in the future, undoubtedly I will get come marks on the front end...Carroll Shelby wants us to drive these beasts, not incubate them...thanks again!!!

It is also one of the best LOOKING cars on the road today. The compliment's that are heaped upon my 09 black with red stripe coupe at cruise in's, with dozens of all sorts of motor vehicles is testimony to that........I wonder if you matched up the color and type of paint if you could have area repainted with an airbrush...if it was not an exact match would it at least be better than the way it is now?......I mainly airbrush scale models but one time I airbrushed an entire golfcart in camaflouge. Just make sure you have plenty of scrap test pieces for the paint....I learned that step the hard way...There ARE good collision center paint shops out there. I understand you wanna make sure you pick a reputable one with our collector cars.....If that is who you choose to do the touch-up and or repaint

As mentioned above.. DON'T TOUCH IT.... Even an experienced shop can make it worse than what it is.. and definitely don't take it to the dealer. Just my $.02

Hey Lee what's wrong with taking it to the dealer?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :hysterical::poke::stirpot:

Hey Lee what's wrong with taking it to the dealer?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :hysterical::poke::stirpot:

Guys, heads up! My brother just found what caused the little chip (which resulted in the factory touch up) on the driver's side door - at the front of it, right above the mid-body (forgot the name) line. When you open either the driver's side or the passenger's side, you will see a stud that sticks out from the front fenders...the clearance is about an 1/8 inch from the tip of the exposed stud to the front of the door when it is opened. Apparently something happened to mine (driver's side) when they put it together. Quality must have picked this up as the stud should be at least an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch shorter as a spec.

Take a look at your cars and let me know. Again, when you open either door all the way you will see the lone stud...see if there are any marks where it could have potentially hit.

Thanks again guys...let me know!! Also, do I bring this up to their attention???

Archived