TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dead Battery

Golive093

I have a 2007 GT500 and the battery is completely dead. In reading the owner's manual for the Mustang it talks about that fact the engine is electronically controlled by a computer, the engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy or optimum driveability and performance. Then it tells you have to complete this task. However, in reading the GT500 supplement it does not say anything about doing anything after replacing the battery.

Any input would be appreciated. I currently have the battery on a charge, but doubt it is going to work. Might try jumping it as a last resort and just to get it to the dealership. Anyone see any problem with this plan of attack?

Thanks for any input.

Why would you bother taking it to the dealer for a battery?

The car doesn't know whether you disconnected the battery or it was swapped, so just pop a new one in there and you're set to go. Like Light66 said, mine had a hanging idle during the initial drive, which later resolved itself without doing anything. I had to remove my battery to install headers, btw.

This is normal.

my car battery went dead quite often the first year I owned because it is not my daily driver.

The security system (plus in my case, the radar detector) will drain the battery if it sits a while.

It should be fine if you recharge. then consider a trickle charger if you do not drive often.

Ron

If your cars sits and is not a daily driver you need a battery tender. Most people use them and they work great.

:yup: Most of us in the colder climates have the Battery Tender hard wired to the battery and just plug it in

whenever it sits for more than a couple of weeks. Can be shorter if the alarm is set.

On another note any input on replacing the battery with another Motorcraft battery or upgrading to the Optima AGM.

If Ford is replacing the battery under warranty, its a no-brainer. Motorcraft is a fine battery with a good history. Use your own preference if the battery is not covered by Ford. You can most assuredly obtain a replacement battery for less than the dealer would charge you. Optima has a good reputation, as well.

Does anyone know who actually makes the Motorcraft battery? Is this really made by FMC, or do they private label someone else's battery?

99.99% sure that all Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls Inc., which also manufactures Interstate and Optima brands, among others.

Go with Optima if you drive it. If it just cruises around every now and then, then just have it replaced with a new motorcraft for free. (Warning) The optima is a hair taller than the stock, but is will clear the hood. Just make sure it is mounted and strapped tight and as far to the center of the engine bay as possible for added security. I have it in mine and it works well.

• 2 years later...
If I am running an aftermarket tune and need to swap the battery out, will that automatically reset to factory settings? Please advise. Thanks.

The short answer is no. The long answer is that your tune is written to the computer eproms. They will not go away unless you return the car back to stock with the original tuner.

• 2 weeks later...

If your cars sits and is not a daily driver you need a battery tender. Most people use them and they work great.

+1 on the Battery Tender.

I actually use a Battery Tender Jr. to keep the battery "at charge" whenever I have it sitting for more than a couple of days. Very inexpensive and works like a champ.

Archived