TEAM SHELBY FORUM

aluminum drive shafts

topic says it all. im looking to go with an aluminum drive shaft. what have we used on the sgt's? i have 3 inch pipes under my car so im looking for something that wont interfere with them(i think i can get away with a 4 inch shaft) im almost done to a shoe string budget so i can't spend a grand just to buy a drive shaft. i can install everything myself.

so list em if you got em! what company's have you used and what are their prices?(dont forget a website)

topic says it all. im looking to go with an aluminum drive shaft. what have we used on the sgt's? i have 3 inch pipes under my car so im looking for something that wont interfere with them(i think i can get away with a 4 inch shaft) im almost done to a shoe string budget so i can't spend a grand just to buy a drive shaft. i can install everything myself.

so list em if you got em! what company's have you used and what are their prices?(dont forget a website)

I bought from Lightining Force Performance, but the shaft is actually a Coast DS. 4" (see sig)

(I could not add hyperlink... Hmmm)

I paid @ $625 delivered to my door.

DynoTech 3.5" is a direct bolt-on with no adapters required.

http://www.brenspeed.com/dshaft05gt.html

http://www.dynotecheng.com/

I too am interested in this mod somewhere down the road. But this where that proverbial road takes a fork for me!

Some folks say that the aluminum driveshaft is a plug-and-play, bolt-on mod, while others are adamant that adjustable upper control arms are integral to the swap. Most of this is Greek to me, but from I can glean, some of the confusion may lie in the fact that the SGT is lowered substantially from the standard GT sit. Ergo, what may work on a GT will not on an SGT?

Does someone speak Greek and mebbe 'splain to this geek? What's needed beyond the DS and when?

Kevin

Here's what you need.....

Coast aluminum drive shaft.

Steeda non-adjustable 3rd link.

On lowerd cars to get the right pinion angle you have to install a different 3rd link. The Steeda non-adjustable 3rd link is perfect for this. Just change that and the shaft and your all set to go!

I took it a step further and installed Steeda chrome-moly controll arms, Steeda adjustable panhard bar and the brace, and a K-member brace.

Good luck!

I bought my 4'' d.s. from the axle exchange. I paid 699.95 for the d.s. They are rated at 750+ H.P. i also installed an adjustible upper control arm from steeda on account of the car being 1 and a half in. lower than stock g.t. This is important so that your pinion angle will be correct and not have any vibration and wear out your u-joints prematurely. I have driven mine over 100mph with the new set-up and the car is very smooth. I have no clearance issures either. There is a lot of so called name brands out there so read all the advertisements and pick what you feel comfortable with. The web site for mine was theaxleexchange.com. You will need an adjustible upper control arm on account of the correct degree for the shaft. I don't remember the degree but i think it was a minus 4 but not sure. The axle exchange told me what it needed to be set at. Good-Luck.

Drive Line Services of Sacramento

http://www.drive-lines.com/

That's who built my custom aluminum DS for my 66. I'm still running the stock 2 piece in my SGT and don't intend on changing it.

Anyway, DLS of Sac might save you some dough. My 3.5" custom Al piece was only $300 and it's top notch quality. Good luck.

Ken

Does anyone know what our pinion angle should be and exactly how it is measured? This is one area of expertise that I don't understand....

Then again, it sounds like the special Steeda upper control arm is already configured for lower cars so if that's the case that would seem to be the easiest solution! Steeda part no. is 555-4096

Does anyone know what our pinion angle should be and exactly how it is measured? This is one area of expertise that I don't understand....

Then again, it sounds like the special Steeda upper control arm is already configured for lower cars so if that's the case that would seem to be the easiest solution! Steeda part no. is 555-4096

I like the non-adjustable part of this. If it can be adjusted, then it can get loose on you and you have to keep checking it. Jam nuts just don't stay tight in my experience.

Bingo!!!!!!!!

:shift:

To answer your first question, the proper angle is -1.5 this I believe is what the Steeda 3rd link is set up at. If you install the Steeda 3rd link you don't have to worry about the angle it will be pre-set for you. I've heard of guys going -2 to -3, I don't know if their cars were lowerd or not. You can find the angle by using a 360 degree gravity angle finder at Home Depot for around $10.

Bingo!!!!!!!!

:shift:

To answer your first question, the proper angle is -1.5 this I believe is what the Steeda 3rd link is set up at. If you install the Steeda 3rd link you don't have to worry about the angle it will be pre-set for you. I've heard of guys going -2 to -3, I don't know if their cars were lowerd or not. You can find the angle by using a 360 degree gravity angle finder at Home Depot for around $10.

Thanks to all for the aluminum driveshaft input.

The Steeda Third Link for lowered cars does sound like a good deal. I was just browsing their site in regard to the driveshaft itself, wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to get all the stuff from them as a package. They sell a tapered 3.5"-4" aluminum shaft. Does anyone know who makes that shaft for Steeda and any thoughts on a tapered construction?

I went with LFP adjustable UCA. I was my understanding that as HP was added, the angle may need to be re-set. I'm also set at -1.5* from when it was a stock SGT. Whatever gains I may have gotten from the DS, it was a wash with the heavier wheels/tires.

I dynoed "after" and showed virtually the same RWHP/TQ.

Now I wonder if I should reset due to the SC... :headscratch:

Dan

Edit for pics...

NewDS01.jpg

NewUCA01.jpg

I too am interested in this mod somewhere down the road. But this where that proverbial road takes a fork for me!

Some folks say that the aluminum driveshaft is a plug-and-play, bolt-on mod, while others are adamant that adjustable upper control arms are integral to the swap. Most of this is Greek to me, but from I can glean, some of the confusion may lie in the fact that the SGT is lowered substantially from the standard GT sit. Ergo, what may work on a GT will not on an SGT?

Does someone speak Greek and mebbe 'splain to this geek? What's needed beyond the DS and when?

Kevin

You lost me at hello!!!! Something about a plunger as a back scratcher????? :headscratch:

Archived