TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The restoration now begins!

BobsShelbyDakota

Well I have started the project. I have started taking parts off the engine in preparation for engine removal. The AC compressor still has a charge so I just set it to the side for now. The wiring harness is very brittle, Anyone know where I can get a new engine wiring harness? Steve? Looks like it should be easy to pull the Engine / Tranny out (I probably just jinxed myself). I take pictures of everything I do (I learned this lesson when I rebuilt my 68 Charger), Pics come in handy when assembling it back together.

Hopefully it will be completely restored and showable by April of 2010 for the "Mopars at the Strip" show here in Las Vegas. :happy feet:

Picture%20640.jpg

You can get the engine/trans out as a single unit if you remove the front doghouse. Doghouse is all the sheetmetal from the firewall forward. Hood, fenders, radiator support, grille, etc.

If you don't want to remove the front end of the truck you can drop the trans from below and cherry pick the engine from up top. Shelby Autos removed the front end of the trucks when they did the conversion but they also had to weld in a new crossmember.

Don't know of anyplace for a new wiring harness. It's basically a 1989 V-6 harness with an overlay for the electric cooling fans.

Digital pics and video are the restorers best friend. Can't have too many of them.

Good luck.

Steve

I also am going to "Chrome the Engine" but have not decided on an engine color (Hemi Orange maybe). I know it will not be original but since it looks as though these trucks may not be worth much in the future I am thinking customize it a little. I will keep the Shelby Dakota look on the outside though, just make the engine and engine bay flashier! This truck would look really cool painted "Lemon Yellow". :drool:

Bob

• 1 month later...
I also am going to "Chrome the Engine" but have not decided on an engine color (Hemi Orange maybe). I know it will not be original but since it looks as though these trucks may not be worth much in the future I am thinking customize it a little. I will keep the Shelby Dakota look on the outside though, just make the engine and engine bay flashier! This truck would look really cool painted "Lemon Yellow". :drool:

Bob

Newbie question.

I have allot to learn, and I am way behind. Why is it that these trucks may not be worth much in the future? What is considered allot?

It would be great if they increased in value. But, at the same time, it's very cool to own a piece of Shelby automotive history.

Trey

Newbie question.

I have allot to learn, and I am way behind. Why is it that these trucks may not be worth much in the future? What is considered allot?

It would be great if they increased in value. But, at the same time, it's very cool to own a piece of Shelby automotive history.

Trey

Trey,

I do think they will increase in the future. The problem right now is that they are only 20 years old. In most states 20 years is not even a classic yet. It is like my 1968 Charger, in 1988 it was for the most part a run of the mill Dodge car that was everywhere, however now 40 years later it is worth quite a bit more. The Shelby Dakota being only built in 1989 and only 1500 built makes it to me a valuable asset for the future. So figure by 2029 it will be worth alot of money! Of course this is if the Government does not make all old cars and trucks illegal to own!

Bob

Archived