TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can You Slap An Ebay Seller Thru Your Monitor?

Someone is selling a GLHS dash plaque on ebay. Seller acts like he knows exactly what he is selling, especially with his $150.00 opening bid, but then make statements like these in his description:

Shelby Dodge Charger GLHS dash emblem number 651 of 1000. Parted from a 1986 Shelby GLHS

Must be pretty rare since they made zero Shelby GLHS Chargers in 1986.

Part number 04220830

Sorry that's not a Shelby part number for a dash plaque.

And now for the quote that set me off:

You don't have a real GLHS unless you have this emblem as proof. If you need this emblem, buy it because you aren't going to find another one any time soon.

You don't have a real GLHS unless you have this emblem as proof? What kind of logic is that?

Sounds like what he is saying is, pay my high price for this dash plaque and build yourself a clone. Well there's no way to stop that except that 1987 GLHS Dash Plaque #651 is now noted in the SAI registry as just that. Thank you ebay seller.

Steve

1987 GLHS Plaque #651

What if I buy that and retrofit the Shelby with it? Then what happens?? :hysterical:

Once again, Steve... your knowledge of these cars simply amazes me.

Have you/do you contact the seller?

Then you would have one rare GLHS GT500 #0651!!!

That's great you watch for these Steve and note them in the registry. BTW when is the registry available???

It's coming but that's something Roger will have to give the official word on. Don't worry about missing it as once its ready it will be the hot topic for quite awhile.

Have you/do you contact the seller?

No need to contact the seller. The regsitry has been updated. And please nobody harass the seller. Sellers like that are what they are. Nothing wrong with selling the plaque as a keepsake but to suggest that it be purchased and applied to another car so that one can claim this other car is now a real Shelby is plain wrong.

What if I buy that and retrofit the Shelby with it? Then what happens??

Hmmm, never thought of that. Putting a Dodge plaque on a Mustang. Thats only fair as there have been plenty of people putting Shelby Mustang plaques on Dodge's thru the years. And no I don't know why.

Steve

Very interesting, I have parts from the same number #651 that the guy is asking $149.00 on E-bay for this shelby plate. I saw it was from Las Vegas and the number sounded familiar. Steve, thanks for verifing it. This GLHS was in a boneyard here in great shape, when I saw it the seats were gone already but I got the SHELBY valve cover, the speedo cluster, the Shelby labeled intercooler and the VIN data plate all for 50 bucks. The next day I came back and it was really stripped down. This was about 2 years ago. I remember taking the valve cover off and some guy said, (Darn, you got to it already). This car was in great shape and the speedo says only 32K miles. This GLHS should NEVER have been in the boneyard! The shape that it was in it might be actually 32K.

Can I get $150.00 for the data plate? Ha ha!

Bob

some one bought it though.......

We the SD group are screwed though untill Shelby autos starts remaking a few of these parts. Dash placks and the under hood stickers. Then the all important door stickers. You either leave your SD to rot and keep the proof or you repaint it and it looks like a clone. Clearly they can't do a lot of competing with Ford directly but it would be nice to have some one licensed through them with permission to sell these parts. My dads 88 CSX T is the nicest one I've seen in person in over 15 years, they are so rare to find in nice shape. No Dash plack and no hope of getting the right one.... This car is worthy of a repaint and restore and with Chrysler stickers under the hood it is hard to show it isn't a fake. MSO's would also be another nice thing to be able to buy..... My title on my 86 GLHS says make SHLBY and the 89 CSX says DODGE, but I don't have the MSO for my car so I'm hosed. I would go to the dealer but hey,,,, the dealer is Shelby autos!

I wonder how much mark up there is on a $150 piece of plastic Shelby could make for OOOOOOOO $5? Maybe a Year One license? Something, I've debated buying a plack for $100 off the forums just so the car has one. A couple years ago someone tried to steal the plack out of my 86 GLHS and it is still hiding in the glove box as I know it isn't replacable. People should be thinking more about giving the dealer a hard time than giving people that sell them a hard time.

Yes I saw it sold. I would highly doubt that Shelby Automobiles would build restoration parts as they deal with Ford and I don't think that Dodge is in their vision anymore. Unless there is a demand for those parts I doubt that Year One or any resto place would bother, it really comes down to the almighty dollar. I am all for anyone getting as much money as possible for a hard to find part but just slapping a badge on a car doesn't make it legit. I would think there are plenty of NOS plastic badges out there but the actual plate with the number etched on it are one of a kind. I felt the aurgumant is selling a numbered badge in this case #651 does not make it the actual #651. I can see finding a plastic badge and then having the metal inscription etched with the actual number if in fact it is a real numbered car. Now the Shelby Dakota badge is different as it is all metal. Dodge dealers could care less and unless there is money in it I really think we are screwed when it comes to resto parts right now. Just my view...

Bob

Archived