TEAM SHELBY FORUM

$22,000 Reserve NOT Met GLHS On Ebay

shelbymotorsports

Is any one here familiar with this car?

Robin

At first #701 sounded familiar but the low, low mileage this one has makes me think its another 'S' car I was thinking of.

Very few of these cars have sold for more than sticker. This appears to be a beautiful car but I just don't see the market supporting his price for it. But as they say it only takes one person.

Steve

Robin

At first #701 sounded familiar but the low, low mileage this one has makes me think its another 'S' car I was thinking of.

Very few of these cars have sold for more than sticker. This appears to be a beautiful car but I just don't see the market supporting his price for it. But as they say it only takes one person.

Steve

He also claims to have number 802 with only 60 miles. That one may be worth $22k since that could be the mileage as delivered new. It's funny that these have been unknown until now.

robin

• 3 weeks later...

I see #701 is re-listed on Ebay. Currently bidding is at $10 700.00, reserve not met yet. The seller says he will entertain bids starting at $7000.00 though, so maybe he's lowered his reserve this time?

I don't get why he says he's looking to buy 1987 S cars though? Why sell an excellent condition one if you're looking to buy "good to excellent"? He must think he can make money flipping them, but if that's the case I could see buying them now, but not selling? :huh:

I see #701 is re-listed on Ebay. Currently bidding is at $10 700.00, reserve not met yet. The seller says he will entertain bids starting at $7000.00 though, so maybe he's lowered his reserve this time?

I don't get why he says he's looking to buy 1987 S cars though? Why sell an excellent condition one if you're looking to buy "good to excellent"? He must think he can make money flipping them, but if that's the case I could see buying them now, but not selling? :huh:

Yeah its a little weird. Three weeks ago he was at offers of $22,000 and above would be considered. This week he's at offers of $7,000 will be considered. What will next week bring?

In one of the ask seller a question he says he got the car from an estate sale which could mean he got it cheap. Might explain the $15,000 price drop.

I too was confused about the part he's looking to buy all 1987 GLHS's.

I wish him the best. Perhaps the 1987 GLHS is just pne that he's passionate about. We all have our favorites.

Steve

Well if #701 is too much money for you the same seller has listed #802 for sale. See link below.

I'm not sure what to make of this seller as he's got me confused pretty good.

From his auction description of car #802:

I OWN # 701 NOT FOR SALE UNTIL 2013-2015.

If #701 is NOT for sale for another 4 to 6 years then why do you currently have it for sale on ebay?

Weird.

Steve

1987 GLHS #802

1987 GLHS #701 That's NOT For Sale???

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, when these cars were new I remember thinking that they were kind of an embarassing Shelby and I regretted that Shelby was no longer affiliated with Ford. But now, I'd love to own one!!

Well if #701 is too much money for you the same seller has listed #802 for sale. See link below.

I'm not sure what to make of this seller as he's got me confused pretty good.

From his auction description of car #802:

I OWN # 701 NOT FOR SALE UNTIL 2013-2015.

If #701 is NOT for sale for another 4 to 6 years then why do you currently have it for sale on ebay?

Weird.

Steve

1987 GLHS #802

1987 GLHS #701 That's NOT For Sale???

Why does car 701 with only 1919 miles even HAVE a log book?

Why does car 701 with only 1919 miles even HAVE a log book?

Good question Barry.

I went back to the auction and his log book is a 6x9 notebook from the office supply store. What's in it who knows. If I'd had to guess I would assume maybe some notes on oil changes. He does have a fair amount of paperwork on the car so I would assume the original owner was a meticulous record keeper.

At first I thought this seller was just an overzealous enthusiast who gets carried away but this quote from his auction makes me rethink my opinion.

THIS IS THE BEST DOCUMENTED CAR I HAVE EVER REVIEWED.

Perhaps this guy is a car broker as wouldn't you write this is the best documented car I've ever OWNED instead of the word reviewed if you were the owner?

Might also explain why he asking for leads on any GLHS's when he's currently trying to sell two of them. Being a broker could also explain his price jumping around all over the place.

Very nice car. Very interesting seller.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I purchased car #701 from this seller yesterday. It turned out that the seller is a very nice guy who is not a broker, but a speculator who was trying to make a lot of money quickly on this car that he purchased from as estate three months ago (documented). The seller is in his 60's, is not internet savy, and really wanted to complete the transaction on a Corvette convertible that he purchased on Ebay this week so he was motivated to sell. He does have another 1987 GLHS with more miles and a new Mopar engine. It appears that he briefly entertained the idea of becoming a Shelby collector (he claims to know Mr. Shelby personally), but became frustrated due to the fact that he didn't want to drive the cars because he thought it would hurt their value. He decided to buy the Corvette because he can drive it guilt-free.

Car #701 was purchased new in Ohio by a 60 year old gentleman in October 1987. The car had 197 miles on it at time of purchase and it appears that it was his retirement car. We have the orig. window sticker, all sales receipts from the dealership (even listing that the buyer added dealer installed cruise control and purchased all of the protection services), the complete owner's manual package, all Ohio registrations from new, every service receipt (Mobil 1 oil changes and the A/C was checked once and found to be fine), the unused Koni tool, the orig. keys, the orig. license plate, and the log book that the seller mentioned in his listing. This log book actually documents in chronological order every single mile that was placed on the car and every single minute that the orig. owner idled the car in his garage. It lists the octane of the gasoline that was purchased, the # of gallons, and the place of purchase. It also details that the car was placed in climate controlled storage from October to July every year and lists when Stabil was added to the tank. The oil was changed several times over the years and the log indicates that the owner only used the car on a few highway trips (there are maps in the glove box, hand dated, from the late 1980's). Sadly, the last entry is from January 2007 (1900 miles) and the owner passed away a short time later. The car sat in storage until it was sold with the entire estate. Condition wise- the car is about 95%. It is all original and appears new inside and out. I only noticed that some of the clear coat has deteriorated from the wheels (they still have the orig. Gator Backs on them), and there are two or three small scratches (most likely from being moved in and out of storage). The interior is like new in every way and the A/C still blows ice cold. I have wanted a 1987 GLHS since 1987 (I kept the magazine articles that were out when they were new) and we are thrilled to have found this one. It was a little challenging to deal with this easily excited seller (it seemed that he must have promised his wife that he could turn the car around quickly for a great profit- which explains his price jumping on Ebay), but it was worth it in the end.

We plan to drive the car occassionally and maintain it as well as the original owner. If anyone is aware of a company that could restore the wheels to their orig. luster, we would greatly appreciate their contact information.

My wife and I purchased car #701 from this seller yesterday.

jadpb5

Welcome to the Team Shelby forums, glad you found us. And congrats on the 'S' car purchase. That is one of the nicest examples I've seen.

What you wrote pretty much sums up what I was guessing. The writing on the log book looked like it was from an elderly person so I suspected the seller purchased the car from an estate to turn it.

I also suspected the seller was not that internet savvy as I can't recall anyone jumping around so much with their price and description. I have to admit it was somewhat entertaining at times.

The clearcoat on the Shelby wheels started peeling from day one. Shouldn't be that hard to find a shop to strip them and re clearcoat them. When you do look for a wheel shop be sure to ask them if they are actually going to do the work or are they going to send the wheels out. Many places are nothing more than a middleman who send your wheels to a third party so why not save a few bucks and deal directly with the refinisher.

Although many of us have seen the pics from ebay why not post some pics here when you get a chance so others can see your new ride.

Steve

Archived