TEAM SHELBY FORUM

maybe a dumb question, but......

i recently bought a 1985 shelby charger, and i was curious as to why they aren't numbered like the 86 and newer shelby dodge's? any info would be much appreciated! looked online and can't find much info on that topic. thanks in advance.

mnimlstfool, Welcome to the Team Shelby Forums. Glad you found us.

My best guess is that's a headache Chrysler didn't want to tackle back then. Shelby Automobiles was able to individually number their cars but that's more because they came from Shelby's California shop and were limited edition cars.

The 1983-87 Dodge Shelby Chargers were not limited edition cars. Chrysler would build as many that were ordered.

Your 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger is still a Shelby. Just like the 1968-70 Shelby Mustang's that were built by Ford and were not numbered either.

Steve

i recently bought a 1985 shelby charger, and i was curious as to why they aren't numbered like the 86 and newer shelby dodge's? any info would be much appreciated! looked online and can't find much info on that topic. thanks in advance.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to Team Shelby. :)

Robert

thanks for the info, and welcoming me to the site. i'll be sure to post some pics as soon as the body work gets started(the previous owner primered without wetsanding first, then stenciled bombs all over it). that car deserves better, so we're starting at the back and working to the front. thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

also, previous owner put a non-turbo hood on it. but, it wouldn't fit so he cut the frame out where the air intake box is, now the hood is wobbly and unstable, not to mention in pretty bad shape aside from that. would anyone know where to locate a turbo hood for my car? i sure hope i don't get stuck fabricating a hood that will work...although it could be neat......

also, previous owner put a non-turbo hood on it. but, it wouldn't fit so he cut the frame out where the air intake box is, now the hood is wobbly and unstable, not to mention in pretty bad shape aside from that. would anyone know where to locate a turbo hood for my car? i sure hope i don't get stuck fabricating a hood that will work...although it could be neat......

Finding an L body in the junkyard is a rare sight here in SoCal so I guess locating one in an Ohio yard is pretty much near impossible.

We have a TS member in Northern California who at one time had a bunch of turbo hoods. He's been around these cars from the start and has shipped large parts before.

I'll email him a link to this thread and if he can help hopefully he'll PM you or post in this thread.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

actually found one. 350 mile round trip drive, but i got one. thanks for looking out, though. just needs a headerpanel(i think thats what it's called) and bumper put back on to have all the parts in place. should be starting the bodywork and paint prep by next weekend.

on a side not, would you have any ideas about what would take primer off the wheels without damaging the finish?

actually found one. 350 mile round trip drive, but i got one. thanks for looking out, though. just needs a headerpanel(i think thats what it's called) and bumper put back on to have all the parts in place. should be starting the bodywork and paint prep by next weekend.

on a side not, would you have any ideas about what would take primer off the wheels without damaging the finish?

Depending on how much primer you're talking about you can always try some stuff like "goof off" available at places like Lowes & Home Depot.

Lauqer thinner and similar products would probably hurt the clearcoat on the wheels.

Steve

Archived