TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dual fan assembly

BobsShelbyDakota

Hello all,

In case I can't get ahold of an original dual fan assemby for my S/Dak, is there a type that would be thin enough to fit in there? Does it have to be a dual fan or will a single one suffice? Hopefully I can get an original but since I am getting ready to pull the engine and rebuild it I want to have something to install before I drop the rebuilt engine back in.

Bob

Hello all,

In case I can't get ahold of an original dual fan assemby for my S/Dak, is there a type that would be thin enough to fit in there? Does it have to be a dual fan or will a single one suffice? Hopefully I can get an original but since I am getting ready to pull the engine and rebuild it I want to have something to install before I drop the rebuilt engine back in.

Bob

any of the newer single fans made for V8s should work fine.

Well, if your gonna sandwich the fan between the condensor and radiator like the originals, i would go 2. Being sandwiched in there like that, they can't grab air and they can't push air efficiently. The fans are real loud when they turn on because of it. I pull an 18 foot car trailer with mine too, so it will get pretty warm on a grade such as the grapevine or going in and out of Vegas on 15 through the hills. So, I run water wetter and the dual fans and get great results.

Robert

• 5 months later...

Hey Bob since your going to rebuild your 318 engine. I thought i'd pass along alittle info if you haven't found out already the 318 in the s/d is a little different than the normal 318 used in fullsize trucks later years. I went to a mopar site and e-mailed them making sure. There is a different cam used and some other goodies. a guy on their site rebiult his 318 as well and noticed the differences and posted them on the site. I will goto my favs and post it here later

Hey Bob since your going to rebuild your 318 engine. I thought i'd pass along alittle info if you haven't found out already the 318 in the s/d is a little different than the normal 318 used in fullsize trucks later years. I went to a mopar site and e-mailed them making sure. There is a different cam used and some other goodies. a guy on their site rebiult his 318 as well and noticed the differences and posted them on the site. I will goto my favs and post it here later

The other thread about this topic had an adequate answer. But to go further, Allpar is not necessarily known for always having accurate info. Anybody can post up what they think about their car or truck and generally no verification for accuracy is done.

The 318 in the Shelby Dakota had one or two external mods from the engine used in the 89 Ram. The oil pan being switched to accommodate the cross member in the Dakota was one mod, the removal of mechanical fan assembly from the water pump mounting is another. But internally the engine is identical to the 1989 Ram engine. If someone takes one apart and finds something different, it is very likely the engine was modified by a previous owner.

The engine electronics used were also exactly the same, except it was modified for the electric fan control. Using the same engine and controller from the 89 Ram allowed Shelby Automobiles to produce the Shelby Dakota without the added expense of putting it through the full EPA emissions testing. It only needed a simple certification for use in the Dakota body.

IIRC, the changes to the 318 came when it was officially called the Magnum 5.2L. There were several changes to the heads, mounting bosses, and the camshaft. If it were up to me, I would be looking to jump to the Magnum line, preferably to the 5.9L, and adapt the earlier bolt on parts to work properly. Much more support for the newer engines, and the power difference in the torque department is a worlds of difference from the two engines. I had a 96 Indy Ram with the 5.9L, and it was a very reliable, tough engine. My brother in law owns it now, and he did not take care of a coolant leak. It lost all the water. Him, not being mechanically inclined, simply put his foot down harder when it started to 'bog and lose power'. After 5-10 miles of this, it locked down. After it cooled, we put water in it, and changed the oil. It's still driving around 2 years later.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Bob

Archived