TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Disappointed in Stripes

While helping SCGT500 detail his car a little today I did a better inspection of the stripe job. I'm very disappointed in the front bumper area and the rear spoiler. The tape overlaps about 1/4 of an inch (what's up with that?). Not to mention that where it overlaps it's not staight. Very sloppy job in my opinion!!!

While discussing this with the hubby I had to explain to him that when I was about twelve years old I decided to pinstripe my beach cruiser bike. Yes, weird I know. I did a better job with it at twelve than the stripes on this car. Did I mention that I was into Ozzy Osbourne at the time and the stripes going down the forks of the bike spelled out - Flyin' High. None of my stripes overlappeded. Now I know that pinstripes are on a much smaller scale, but I thought professionals were doing this job.

My point is that I was twelve. Why are the stripes finished off so poorly? Just a few more minutes on this situation could have made a world of difference.

Severely Disappointed,

Co-Pilot

If they don't overlap the strips, they have to double cut them and that little cut goes through the paint. And that would be bad. If they could butt the stripes tight in a year they would shrink just the tiniest bit and you would have a gap. There are too many contours on the car to do it in one piece as they would wrinkle.

I hope my explanation makes the overlaps more pallatable. :drop:

If they don't overlap the strips, they have to double cut them and that little cut goes through the paint. And that would be bad. If they could butt the stripes tight in a year they would shrink just the tiniest bit and you would have a gap. There are too many contours on the car to do it in one piece as they would wrinkle.

I hope my explanation makes the overlaps more pallatable. :drop:

Yes, I see your point. But, the overlap could've been in a more even amount across the strip.

For what it's worth - I've seen about 4 Shelbys - and I was looking for the dreaded overlap. I found it - but had to look very closely. If I hadn't been aware of the issue - I don't think I'd have spotted it.

Try to calm him. :hyper:

A couple six packs and he will be calm, heck, he might not be able to see them or anything else for that matter :tequila:

I was going to go snap a quick picture of this mess I found, but I don't want you all ragging on SCGT's Dream car. He's not worried about it so I'm going to try to just let it go.

Then again, I could order that darn stripe deal from the dealer and do it right. But I have to admit that the stripe over the top would get me for sure. Oh well, what's a girl to do.

Rob - - Hey I did the breakfast thing this morning. You inspired me I guess.

well i have to add that i was a bit disappointed that the stripes weren't painted on and that the overlaps looked a bit sloppy to me. i might consider having mine painted on sometime in the future but i am still up in the air about it (originality you know)

well i have to add that i was a bit disappointed that the stripes weren't painted on and that the overlaps looked a bit sloppy to me. i might consider having mine painted on sometime in the future but i am still up in the air about it (originality you know)

Yes, I do wish they would've stuck to having them painted on. SCGT500 explained to me some time back that they were trying to keep the car under $40K so the painted stripes was changed out. Bummer!!! I guess that's where I lost my light in the mirror on the sunvisor also. It's a rather cheap feeling covered mirror without a light. Darnit, I want my light!!!

How come aftermarket companies can put an entire decal over a car/van but everyone acts like putting two stripes down the middle takes a miracle from god. Ford just half azz'd it on this one folks.

wrap_01.jpg

wrap_10.jpg

How come aftermarket companies can put an entire decal over a car/van but everyone acts like putting two stripes down the middle takes a miracle from god. Ford just half azz'd it on this one folks.

wrap_01.jpg

wrap_10.jpg

QUESTIONS:

1. Did you do those 2 rigs that you posted ?

2. Are you a aftermarket applicator of these products?

The reason I ask, is I checked into getting stripes put on my wifes GT/CS and met with a guy that does it for a living. We had a long talk about the process. He also explained the details and how much time it would take to install them.

If your reply to 1 and 2 is yes, then I value your opinion. If it is no, then for me, it just sounds like more bashing of Ford / SVT. I am frankly getting tired of the Ford / SVT / SAI bashing.

My stripes had the overlap but it's not crooked. One stripe on the rear panel has a bubble. Am I completely satisfied with the stripes. . . no, but I'm more disappointed with the interior, especially the front passenger seat which sits too low and has too little in the way of adjustments. In a perfect world this Mustang should have had a bit higher MSRP and as a result a better interior and painted stripes--but no ADM. Oh well, I still love the beast.

CC

but I'm more disappointed with the interior, especially the front passenger seat which sits too low and has too little in the way of adjustments. CC

I believe the passenger seat was an attempt to control weight. The regular GT is available with a power passenger seat, the GT 500 is not. My opinion. :shift:

I have found that the more I drive my car, the better the stripes fit / look. Could it, should it have been painted? Probably. I'm satisfied as it is. I get treated like a rock star all the time - not a single gawker / thumbs-upper / phone camera wielder / other Mustang driver - seems to have noticed those two overlap points or the 1/32" misalignment in the stripes here and there at the joints. I'm just lovin' it.

SCGT500 - Congrats man! Long time coming. Glad you got the best Christmas present you could on the delivery. To Madam Copilot: good for you looking out for hubby's best interests. No scorn from me on that. I just put the microscope away after the first week and haven't looked back.

My stripes had the overlap but it's not crooked. One stripe on the rear panel has a bubble. Am I completely satisfied with the stripes. . . no, but I'm more disappointed with the interior, especially the front passenger seat which sits too low and has too little in the way of adjustments. In a perfect world this Mustang should have had a bit higher MSRP and as a result a better interior and painted stripes--but no ADM. Oh well, I still love the beast.

CC

In a perfect world the car would have come with IRS, a Lexus like interior, weighed only 3400 lbs, and cost $110,000.00 without any ADM.

Ford did what they could with the car to keep the cost below 45 grand. No other car out there offers what the GT500 does for the same amount of money. If you don't like the stripes, get the stripe delete option and get them painted on yourself. People need to stop bitching. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edit: this post is not directed at any one specific, I'm just tired of the complaining.

In a perfect world the car would have come with IRS, a Lexus like interior, weighed only 3400 lbs, and cost $110,000.00 without any ADM.

Ford did what they could with the car to keep the cost below 45 grand. No other car out there offers what the GT500 does for the same amount of money. If you don't like the stripes, get the stripe delete option and get them painted on yourself. People need to stop bitching. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edit: this post is not directed at any one specific, I'm just tired of the complaining.

I'm with you bro. Before y'all start bashing it, remember what the MSRP is and compare. I drove a Bentley Continental GT Silver Edition last month. Nice car. $275,000.00. No ADM, no stripes, but it did have a power passenger seat. Hmmmmm............... :doh:

I agree.

hsurb

Archived