TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vert TSB Completed

Dave Collins

Had the new top installed finally and it seems flawless.The shop that installed it for the dealer followed the TSB but

said the wear marks would come back over time. The linkage is pressing on the top when it's down and stretching

the fabric. When the car's driven the vibration causes the wear marks. He suggested keeping the top up when parked and thought this might prolong the situation.

Had the new top installed finally and it seems flawless.The shop that installed it for the dealer followed the TSB but

said the wear marks would come back over time. The linkage is pressing on the top when it's down and stretching

the fabric. When the car's driven the vibration causes the wear marks. He suggested keeping the top up when parked and thought this might prolong the situation.

I think that is the general conclusion many of us have come to as well. This could be as bad as the clutch TSB. I hope Ford really does fix this with a new design or we will all have to have this done multiple times. In the mean time, use the boot cover when driving with the top down as it seems to reduce the vibration caused wear.

Did they just replace the fabric cover?

I think that is the general conclusion many of us have come to as well. This could be as bad as the clutch TSB. I hope Ford really does fix this with a new design or we will all have to have this done multiple times. In the mean time, use the boot cover when driving with the top down as it seems to reduce the vibration caused wear.

Yes they just replaced the fabric top and put those teather straps on. I'll just wait for it to screw up again.

Yes they just replaced the fabric top and put those teather straps on. I'll just wait for it to screw up again.

I recall there being several TSB's related to the top, is there a particular one aimed at these wear marks? Was your top worn through, or just worn? I so don't want my top replaced, but I think it's inevitable. :censored:

I recall there being several TSB's related to the top, is there a particular one aimed at these wear marks? Was your top worn through, or just worn? I so don't want my top replaced, but I think it's inevitable. :censored:

Not the wear marks specifically but any defect in the top cover that can not be repaired. Here is the TSB.

TSB 07-17-8

I bought my SGT Vert with 1,200 miles on it used. I never got a boot cover. Did they come with our cars or is this something we have to buy at the Ford dealer?

I bought my SGT Vert with 1,200 miles on it used. I never got a boot cover. Did they come with our cars or is this something we have to buy at the Ford dealer?

Mine didnt come with one either. The dealers in ALASKA wanted around $ 400. So i had my parents check in Washington State and they wanted close to the same $.. So I got one on EBAY for around $100..

Nothing short of a redigned frame will permenatley fix our vert top woes. Putting the boot on will not help at all. The new top that ford has unsuccessfully attemted to fix the problem with, that has the tethered patches, are on all 2008 and up models and didnt help the issue at all.

Great that you got a new top put on but its still only a temporary fix that will start wearing holes again very quickly.

Nothing short of a redigned frame will permenatley fix our vert top woes. Putting the boot on will not help at all. The new top that ford has unsuccessfully attemted to fix the problem with, that has the tethered patches, are on all 2008 and up models and didnt help the issue at all.

Great that you got a new top put on but its still only a temporary fix that will start wearing holes again very quickly.

My '08 has the teathers and the wear marks. One of the teathers actually sheard off one day. I heard a "ping" noise and then went on a search for what made the noise. The I found the head of the fastener down in the fender and a hanging teather. I watched the top move in many cycles and have determined the top moves exactly the same on both sides of the car, meaing with and without the teather. And both sides have the wear, meaning with and without the teather.

I am just going to let it go, hope Ford redesigns it (which I am pretty sure they won't) before my warranty is up, and if not, just live with the wear. I am in no hurry to roll the dice on having a new top put on. I'd predict litigation after that attempt, and I don't need the stress...

You know....this car is relly starting to cause me alot of stress....between my convertible top possibly wearing out prematurely....the white paint on my bumpers yellowing....and the possibility of clutch issues...not to mention the high cost of the vehicle....AND always being scared that someone will wack their door into my car......I'm starting to think maybe it wasn't worth it.....any thoughts?

The wear marks after only two months... They stsrted right of way...

DSC00267.JPG

I am not going to loose any sleep over it, but it is kinda annoying...

You will be loosing sleep(unless you dont mind driving a fifty thousand dollar ghetto car) when after 3000 mi of driving with the top down and your wear marks have turned into white divits and then after 6000 mi with the top down driving, you have holes.

Using the boot cover is not a permanent fix for the fabric wear problem by any means, but using it when the top is down prevents the top from bouncing up and down and therefore slows the fabric wear issue. I also put the top up when I am done driving it; I never leave it stowed down when it's parked.

I have 26,000 miles on my car, and while I do have the wear marks, they are not nearly as bad as I have seen on other verts that have significantly fewer miles on them. I have even had other Shelby vert owners come up to me at events asking me if my top has been replaced because they can't believe how good my top looks considering the miles it has on it.

So in my experienced opinion, using the top cover does help the wear issue...a lot.

Melissa, the paint is yellowing on the bumper covers because of the Polyurethane material that's used to mold the bumper covers. FoMoCo and all other manufacturers use a special mix of paint when painting those covers, and because that mix has a flex additive in it (so the paint gives if you bump or push down on the cover), and the nature of the flex additive (poor UV protection) causes the white paint to yellow over time.

The best advice that I can give you on the covers is to use a good wax that has ample UV protection in it, use it frequently, and eventually you might have to have the covers repainted if they get too unsightly. Is it right that you/we should have to eventually repaint the covers? No it's not, but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast for all manufacturers because of the Polyurethane materal.

As far as the parking lot "a-holes" that might ding your door, all you can do about that is either park the car where you can keep visual contact on it at all times, or park it away from the other cars as far as possible. No guarantees either way, but both senarios will go along way to help against door dings.

Is the car worth it? That is only for you to decide... :shrug:

You know....this car is relly starting to cause me alot of stress....between my convertible top possibly wearing out prematurely....the white paint on my bumpers yellowing....and the possibility of clutch issues...not to mention the high cost of the vehicle....AND always being scared that someone will wack their door into my car......I'm starting to think maybe it wasn't worth it.....any thoughts?

Depends on how much you like the car. For me I absolutely love this car, its a dream come true, this is the car I have been waiting to happen for 20 years. This is why I bitch so much because I care and I dont want to get rid of it I just want Ford to keep their end of the deal and make this car right like it should have been from the start and fix their design flaws which I think is more than fair. This car personally brings me a lot of happiness and I would hate to get rid of it.

Using the boot cover is not a permanent fix for the fabric wear problem by any means, but using it when the top is down prevents the top from bouncing up and down and therefore slows the fabric wear issue. I also put the top up when I am done driving it; I never leave it stowed down when it's parked.

I have 26,000 miles on my car, and while I do have the wear marks, they are not nearly as bad as I have seen on other verts that have significantly fewer miles on them. I have even had other Shelby vert owners come up to me at events asking me if my top has been replaced because they can't believe how good my top looks considering the miles it has on it.

So in my experienced opinion, using the top cover does help the wear issue...a lot.

Melissa, the paint is yellowing on the bumper covers because of the Polyurethane material that's used to mold the bumper covers. FoMoCo and all other manufacturers use a special mix of paint when painting those covers, and because that mix has a flex additive in it (so the paint gives if you bump or push down on the cover), and the nature of the flex additive (poor UV protection) causes the white paint to yellow over time.

The best advice that I can give you on the covers is to use a good wax that has ample UV protection in it, use it frequently, and eventually you might have to have the covers repainted if they get too unsightly. Is it right that you/we should have to eventually repaint the covers? No it's not, but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast for all manufacturers because of the Polyurethane materal.

As far as the parking lot "a-holes" that might ding your door, all you can do about that is either park the car where you can keep visual contact on it at all times, or park it away from the other cars as far as possible. No guarantees either way, but both senarios will go along way to help against door dings.

Is the car worth it? That is only for you to decide... :shrug:

Another thing to think about is when the top is down , and the way it folds, there is a BIG wind catcher at the front if you don't have the top boot on.. Whether that has an effect on the rub marks I don't know. Just another thing to think about...

Another thing to think about is when the top is down , and the way it folds, there is a BIG wind catcher at the front if you don't have the top boot on.. Whether that has an effect on the rub marks I don't know. Just another thing to think about...

post-4213-1251578459.gif

post-4213-1251578459.gif

The boot cover came with my GT500. It was in the trunk. Not sure about the SGT's.

The wear marks after only two months... They stsrted right of way...

DSC00267.JPG

I am not going to loose any sleep over it, but it is kinda annoying...

That's how mine started and now I have 2 holes after a year. I will take it in sometime this winter to have it replaced.

If we all don't bitch to Ford about this nothing will happen. As soon as these marks appear go to your dealer and demand a new top. Get Ford in the pocket book and maybe they will do something to get us a permanent Fix.

:censored: SURE just like they did on the flywheel/clutch/tranny :censored:

I wouldn't disagree with you. I have 20K miles on her. When it's really cold out (mine's a daily driver) it willgrind into second once in a while; but I definitely worry about the trans/ clutch issue. I have the top down all the time when it's nice out. I have the same marks as the pics in this post. Have you read the TSB on this? There's no way any dealer mechanic is going to be able to replace the top and have it fit correctly. Never. Not putting down any of the mechanics; but if you don't do these every day, you'd never learn the tricks to istalling it.

It's really a shame; because it does bring a smile every time I turn the key and it lights off thru the Loudmouths!

:censored: SURE just like they did on the flywheel/clutch/tranny :censored:

For most of us, trying to get a dealer to fix the clutch TSB is like pulling teeth. I just can imagine the dealers lining up to replace the top because you a have a few little marks in it. Normal wear and tear they'll say. Or like the service manager asked me at All American Ford, when was the last time you had the tires rotated?

Wow ,I would keep after them about a proper fix.

Mine has that exactly, too. It is typical. Nothing a replacement or a Ford dealer is going to do to make a bad design work. I am sure Ford knew this design would pinch the material, but at some point decided to go forward with this design anyway, probably due to cost constraints.

I am not willing to risk damage to my car to have them mess with the top, when I am certain that even if they replace it, it will come back.

Just curious if anyone noticed that the 2009 cloth top IS different than a 2008... I saw a 2009 GT500 today and it had a raised ridge type water deflector molded/sewn into the cloth top above the drv and pass door windows.. My 2008 SGT does not have that ...

Anyone else noticed that ???

Archived