TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Leather care?

ironpeddler

So my divers seat leather is getting some creases(sp?), lines I don't know really what you want to call them in a couple places. The two places are the the front of the seat at the very edge, pretty much where your legs are always resting and the left thigh/hamstring pad where my left is always resting. It's just from use and my seating position being the same all the time but is there something you can do that will tighten up the leather and not show these creases or whatever you want to call them?

i was seeing the same thing--im 6-3,220 so tend to wear out the bolsters.Im a big Megiars fan, and tried Maeguiars leather conditioner and Lexol conditioner in 2 test patterns on the lower back seat.Let them dry and liked the look of the :Lexol better.So did the whole interior (30 minutes) using a sponge.Let it dry for a few houres then buff it woth a clean towel.Let it dry some more overnight and you'll be good to go.The Lexol leaves it a slightly darker shade, of slate, ..while the Meguairs come out closer to black and slight sheen.Try them out and do what suits you.Id also suggest that you do like me and order an extra drivers seat,so when and if you sell he car, your seat will show no wear.You coyuld do the old towel trcik too,just sit on the towel to prevent wear.

i was seeing the same thing--im 6-3,220 so tend to wear out the bolsters.Im a big Megiars fan, and tried Maeguiars leather conditioner and Lexol conditioner in 2 test patterns on the lower back seat.Let them dry and liked the look of the :Lexol better.So did the whole interior (30 minutes) using a sponge.Let it dry for a few houres then buff it woth a clean towel.Let it dry some more overnight and you'll be good to go.The Lexol leaves it a slightly darker shade, of slate, ..while the Meguairs come out closer to black and slight sheen.Try them out and do what suits you.Id also suggest that you do like me and order an extra drivers seat,so when and if you sell he car, your seat will show no wear.You coyuld do the old towel trcik too,just sit on the towel to prevent wear.

Thanks for the info man. I'm like you, I'm 6'4" about 210 lbs. and it just seems the creases are just from use. Lexol correct? Never heard of this but I will try it out. Does this product actually tighten up the leather again so it looks new or tight or whatever you want to call it?

Lexol has a leather cleaner (which you dont need yet) and a leathe conditioner.I would suggest you do a small test pattern,but to me it puts it back to the factory color,slightly darker and no sheen.I put my test on the lower section of the back seat,near the floor,and let it dry overnight.As i mentioned use a sponge--ive used it on other leather seat cars,and it keeps the leather very supple.Ive also used the Meguiars,esp on parchment seats so make them look darker and a little sheen.But for the 2010 seats,to me, the Lexol wokred best.Get the small size, it'll last forever.I do mty seats once a year--if y0uwant my input on other Maeguairs products i use send me a PM, i dont want to seem like shill for Meguairs

PS only use the leather tretaament on the leather.The inserts are vinyl--i sed the Lexol Vinlytex for the vinyl--heres a link http://www.amazon.com/Vinylex-1215-Protect...9354&sr=8-1

It's so hard to keep the drivers seat in good shape. The one in my old car got quite worn...and I am trying to always being aware of not sliding across the seat in the Shelby to prevent the same thing happening. It's very tough to do that however. It would be nice to keep it new looking - but I don't really want to cover it up or something in the meantime. I'll just be as careful as I can.

this will sound silly, but Im 64 and getting inot a vette required me to adjust my seating style a few years ago,and it may avoid some seat wear and tear as well.My seat seems to only wear on the entry bolster.When im entering, i just plop my amplle rear end and hips into the seat,and then swing my 2 legs in--theres no sliding in.Getting out is the revers.I use the same technique for my kayak.I can here all the young guys on the forum LOL but it does seem to reduce the wear on the front part of the seat

Archived