TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Relocation (56K Die)

SVOC

Take the battery out of the tray, and remove the tray from the vehicle.

P7060470.JPG

Get an idea where you want the battery and make sure you have the room for mounting

P7060471.JPG

Next after marking and drilling the hols for the battery hold down/box studs, mark and drill the holes in the floor on the trunk area

P7060473.JPG

Assemble the box as it would be in the car, and mount in the trunk through the hole you previously drilled

P7060474.JPG

Then move to the front, and clip off the original battery terminals, and strip the casing back for the new lugs

P7080479.JPG

The reason I used lugs instead of a union is it can be easily returned to somewhat stock if need be, now crimp on your new lugs for this conversion

P7080481.JPG

P7080485.JPG

Make sure they are good and secure fitting

P7080487.JPG

P7080488.JPG

P7080491.JPG

P7080493.JPG

Obviously I'm doing this for both positive and negitive

P7080497.JPG

P7080500.JPG

Be sure to heat shrink any area that may be exposed

P7080503.JPG

P7080505.JPG

P7080508.JPG

P7080509.JPG

Next I went and got 18 feet (each cable) of 2/0 cable to run from the trunk to where the battery used to be, and crimped again lugs at one end and the correct positive and negative terminals to these new cables, AFTER PRE-MEASURING THE RIGHT LENGTH, positive was longer than the negative.

P7080510.JPG

The customer was also said he wanted the new cables color coded so he knew which was which, so I used colored heat shrink

P7080511.JPG

P7080515.JPG

P7080519.JPG

Now that I have run the cables and made all the connections, I took some more split core casing and covered them, and wrapped everything with electrical tape, for this customer, I ran the battery cables through the passenger side interior of the vehicle, some may prefer to run them under the vehicle, just be sure you secure the cables to the vehicle very well if your going to run them under the outside, in this case the owner spends more time off the road than on the road, so inside was a better choice (FORD = For Off Road Driving)

P7090469.JPG

P7090486.JPG

Remove the space saver tab that slide out of the battery tray and cut down the ramps at the far end for the larger intercooler tank

P7090487.JPG

Locate and mark where you need to cut the tray for the drain petcock on the tank

P7090490.JPG

And remove this insult for a cooling tank and pitch it in the trash!!!!!!!!!!!

P7090502.JPG

Before you discard that worthless piece of junk, take the fittings out of it and clean the threads and put new teflon tape on them

P7090507.JPG

CAREFULLY thread them into the new tank and tighten them up

P7090505.JPG

P7090508.JPG

P7090511.JPG

Great write-up and very easy to follow pics...who makes the new cooling tank?

Moroso. It's the battery replacement tank for the GT500.

Damn picky customers wanting things color coded :hysterical:

• 3 months later...

So the crimped 'lugs' were just heat shrinked, and wrapped with tape? I don't see a shot of what you did with the lugs after they were crimped...

Having done battery relocating before, I used insulated firewall connections from Moroso to allow the cables to penetrate the firewall

post-23237-126150109923_thumb.jpg

I'm also no fan of 'crimp only' connections. Eventually, resistance will build up at this juncture. As much as the owner may have the desire to return the vehicle back to stock, I'd have tried to convince him/her that they could always just purchase the OEM 'lugged' stock cable. Especially with full battery power running through these cables. I like to tin the cable first, as well as fill the lug with silver solder, then immerse the cable into the lug before the solder cools. You can always add heat and re-seat the cable if you didn't get the desired depth. I then crimp the lug in a vise for safety/overkill.

post-23237-126150116568_thumb.jpg

To ensure you haven't disturbed the integrity of the heat shrink, it is advisable to use a heat gun as opposed to a flame source on the heat shrink as well.

post-23237-12615011785_thumb.jpg

A rated cutoff switch is a good idea as well, as I'm sure no one here would want to see their pride and joy go down in flames. They can be hidden or positioned as necessary if you are regulated by a sanctioning body. On one of my fox bodied cars I hid it

post-23237-126150114344_thumb.jpg

In addition, it isn't a bad idea to use a circuit breaker when relocating either. I have successfully used a 200 amp fuse instead of a CB (just remember to keep a spare in the glovebox , JIC) to avoid a meltdown in case of an accident that causes a short in the cable somewhere

post-23237-126150112851_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126150111381_thumb.jpg

Not a bad time to upgrade to a more powerful battery either. I've used Optima's in the past with great success. Nice thing about their cell type is that you don't have to be concerned with venting like you do a stock battery ( I saw no mention of venting in this writeup either).

Tob

Archived