TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do They Think We Are Really That Stupid?

shelbymotorsports

Do they think we are really that stupid or do they honestly believe what they were told when they got suckered?

Hey at least the seller makes one honest statement:

You won’t see another one like this!

Steve

One Of None

Steve, did Ford ever make a turbo version of the Cobra II? Its an interesting car. Call me crazy but I kinda like it. :doh: Too bad its a fugazi it would be pretty cool if it was real!

What was Mr. Shelby doing in the late seventies, did he ever do any consumer cars after the 60's before his work with Chrysler in the 80's?

KC666

:rockon:

Steve, did Ford ever make a turbo version of the Cobra II? Its an interesting car. Call me crazy but I kinda like it. :doh: Too bad its a fugazi it would be pretty cool if it was real!

What was Mr. Shelby doing in the late seventies, did he ever do any consumer cars after the 60's before his work with Chrysler in the 80's?

KC666

:rockon:

The funny part is that one could come up with a story that would sound legit as in the late 70's Shelby was a partner in a turbocharger company.

And let me add I like the Mustang II cars. Owned two of them and never heard one thing about a factory turbo prototype from Shelby or Ford.

My opinion is based on the following and in no particular order:

Shelby was no longer under contract with Ford at the time. Although Shelby did promote the Ford Corporation for free numerous times during that time period.

A turbocharger set-up like this would in no way pass EPA tests nor could it survive the warranty period. Auto manufacturers were doing everything they could to keep their current drivetrains in production back in 1977-78. Horsepower and CID were still on the decline. Remember this time period was just before we got 255cid V8 Mustangs and 305cid V8 Corvettes.

Anyone that knows Shelby knows that a Shelby Mustang will have the name Shelby all over it. All I see is a bunch of Tony Branda Cobra emblems.

If you look at the "Turbo" script applied to the dash you'll quickly see that is from a newer car.

If Ford and Shelby were going to build a prototype turbocharged 302 Mustang it would be for performance, correct? So why would they use a heavier T-top car with lots of chassis flex? Why would they use an a/c equipped car but then not only remove the under hood a/c components but also remove the HVAC controls from inside the car? NO a/c, NO heater and NO vent.

The overall hokiness from the poorly shaped hood scoop, to the Limited Edition door handle decals, to the overuse of Tony Branda emblems.

I just re-read the auction description. At first I thought he was saying this was a prototype but now after a second read it appears he is saying this was an official Ford-Shelby product but only two of them were ordered/built. He would have been better off with a prototype story.

Funny thing is that someone did have a some what rare car to start with. The t-top option arrived late in the 1977 model year and was not cheap hence low t-top production for 1977. Then when you add in the car being a Cobra II model with a manual transmission combined with the black/gold paint scheme production numbers are even smaller.

Maybe I should grab this rare Mustang and tow it to car shows with my 1979 Shelby Ranchero. :banghead:

Steve

Trying to find a nice Mustang II is getting pretty difficult. I would like to have that car and yank all the fake Sheby stuff off of it and then have a pretty darn nice Mustang II. That is a pretty rare one with the options it has. Black and gold to! Ha. ha..

This type of listing is what makes cruising Ebay fun. It makes us do our homework on cars and learn what is and isn't real. I've laughed at some listings, did my homework, and found out a seller was actually correct in many cases. But when it comes to anything Shelby, extra caution is necessary. My favorite bogus descriptive word you see on Ebay is "tribute" when attached to a fake, counterfeit, cloned Shelby product. :drool:

The cobras on the car are factory,Ford bought the rights to the name and emblems,unfortunately,my x-wife had one when we married.the steering wheel emblem looks like a 68 gas cap emblem

the limited edition door handle badges were J C Whitney issue.

Doc

The cobras on the car are factory,Ford bought the rights to the name and emblems,unfortunately,my x-wife had one when we married.the steering wheel emblem looks like a 68 gas cap emblem

the limited edition door handle badges were J C Whitney issue.

Doc

The door handle badges look like something from a Chrysler Cordoba.

bj

Unfortunately, many people pass along as fact some of the b.s. they've been told (or bought) without further investigation or research....hence Urban Legends. Did I ever tell you about the one-off Opel Kadett Carroll Shelby did in the 70's....yeah, a friend of my brother's cousin's wife's sister had one and it was........

It's really a super-clean Cobra II, just too bad it has been "modified" like it has. Having grown up in a '77 Cobra II, which my parents bought brand new, I've always had a soft spot for these cars. We had a white/blue non t-top, 302, four-speed with a white interior...supposedly seven made in that combination. I still have the original wheels out in the garage!

What struck me as odd with this car, is that it has the Cobra II door emblems from a '76, as they went to snakes in '77. I also don't remember seeing any '77s with t-tops, but several '78s with t-tops and those gawd-awful huge COBRA decals running down the doors!

Well, it is obviously not a "shelby" but it is still nice as a mustang II. And hispony, as an owner of two, I would think you would appreciate it just as the II it is! It is hard to fix them, this one looks pretty nice, and not a bad price either! With the gold stripes it would match my two real hertz's! LOL!!

It's really a super-clean Cobra II, just too bad it has been "modified" like it has. Having grown up in a '77 Cobra II, which my parents bought brand new, I've always had a soft spot for these cars. We had a white/blue non t-top, 302, four-speed with a white interior...supposedly seven made in that combination. I still have the original wheels out in the garage!

What struck me as odd with this car, is that it has the Cobra II door emblems from a '76, as they went to snakes in '77. I also don't remember seeing any '77s with t-tops, but several '78s with t-tops and those gawd-awful huge COBRA decals running down the doors!

Don't think I've ever seen a white/white combo so I'd say it was pretty rare.

The t-tops were a late 1977 option so not many cars got them.

I had a 1977 Mach 1 with the 302 and the C-4 automatic. It's been so long I can't recall but I think the 302/4spd combo was not allowed in California.

Steve

Do they think we are really that stupid?, no not us but some guy just gett'n into cars might just bite on that.

:banghead:

Archived