TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Body Panel alignment 2010 GT500

Guys,

I notice that my hood is flush with the front nose on the drivers side, but the hood sits up too high on the opposite side, so that it is up higher than the ront nose. One half of the front of the hood sits up about about 3/8" higher than the nose, so I'm concerned with getting stone chips on the leading edge of the hood because it sticks up.

Does anyone know if this can be alligned better and how to do this? I don't think that the dealer I bought it from has a body guy? Any suggestions?

Guys,

I notice that my hood is flush with the front nose on the drivers side, but the hood sits up too high on the opposite side, so that it is up higher than the ront nose. One half of the front of the hood sits up about about 3/8" higher than the nose, so I'm concerned with getting stone chips on the leading edge of the hood because it sticks up.

Does anyone know if this can be alligned better and how to do this? I don't think that the dealer I bought it from has a body guy? Any suggestions?

The rubber hood bump stops (if that's what they're called) are threaded. All you have to do is turn them either clockwise or counter clockwise to either raise or lower them. The hood seems rigid, but it flexes a little and each bump stop can be adjusted to align the hood with the other body panels. Try a little bit at a time and then close the hood to see the results. If it's still not perfect, keep playing with it. No need to go to the dealer as this is a simple fix.

Guys,

Mine was exactly like that also. I took it in and they adjusted it for me and it looks fine now.

What I have noticed is that the new hood does not fit precisely and the gap lines are not laser sharp like some cars of better quality. The curve of the hood does not fit the fender wells quite good enough.You will also notice other panel fits on the car that are not perfect, like bumpers for example.

PS: forgot to add, on the hood you may need to raise the left side a little to twist the hood down on the right side for a better fit. The curve near the stops still won't be perfect but will look a lot better.

Steve

Might be slightly off topic, but possibly related. I'm told that our hoods need to be dropped closed from about two foot high because the Aluminum hoods will bend if you're pushing them closed. Can anyone confirm? Is it possible aggressivly pushing the hood closed can cause alignment problems due to warping the Ai hood?

Might be slightly off topic, but possibly related. I'm told that our hoods need to be dropped closed from about two foot high because the Aluminum hoods will bend if you're pushing them closed. Can anyone confirm? Is it possible aggressivly pushing the hood closed can cause alignment problems due to warping the Ai hood?

I think it possibly could, and that is why mine is always dropped and never pushed. However when I went to look at the only other 2010 I had ever seen, when the sales manager opened the hood on a grabber blue he closed it by shoving down on the front of the hood with both hands as it was resting on the stops. I think some of our cars could have slightly deformed hoods from being shoved down before we got the cars.

Edit addition: The salesman that saw the Manager pushing on the hood grimaced and told me afterwards not to ever do that but to let it drop to close.

We had a Porsche 924 and 944 that had lightweight flexible hoods that could also be damaged by pushing them closed. They were always dropped to a close.

I don't think it would be a good idea to install the piston closers/props on this hood as you can no longer drop the hood closed.

Steve

I drop my '08 hood, and because I always want to give it "just enough", often it is a two try deal for me.... :banghead:

In body alignment, the hood, front facia is a very difficult place for all the production tolerances to come together. I often figured Ford did the hood on the '07-'09's shingle style, to simply avoid having that difficult gap to deal with.

When I first saw a picture of a '10, my immediate thought was that the production tolerances that Ford uses on the Mustang, that is going to be a very difficult seam to get correct, and it is in such a visible place.

Making body gaps look good is both about having the production tolerances, but also about putting them in inteligent locations, so they are less visible, too....

I'm with War Eagle on this one. I always drop the hood...I've never pushed down on the hood. After time, I would think that there would be some evidence of the constant pushing down otherwise. I've done this with all of my cars. Of course you don't drop it from an wide open position..but generally I would say around a foot above the fender line. Never had a problem.

The rubber hood bump stops (if that's what they're called) are threaded. All you have to do is turn them either clockwise or counter clockwise to either raise or lower them. The hood seems rigid, but it flexes a little and each bump stop can be adjusted to align the hood with the other body panels. Try a little bit at a time and then close the hood to see the results. If it's still not perfect, keep playing with it. No need to go to the dealer as this is a simple fix.

Do you have any pictures of these adjustment locations? This would be helpful for me. Thanks.

Do you have any pictures of these adjustment locations? This would be helpful for me. Thanks.

There's two of them and the arrow in the image below points to the one near the air filter. They are raised and lowered by simply twisting them left or right with, at times, some moderate torque from your wrist.

post-2843-1250989396_thumb.jpg

There's two of them and the arrow in the image below points to the one near the air filter. They are raised and lowered by simply twisting them left or right with, at times, some moderate torque from your wrist.

post-2843-1250989396_thumb.jpg

Thanks. There's actually 4 and I adjusted the two left side ones. The alignment is better, but I don't know if the rubber stops are still actually contacting the hood on this side. Is this a problem? I think tha the hood cant go any lower because of the rubber on the fenders. There is about 1/4 " difference in height between the far left and far right rubber stops.

It doesn't have to be two feet. I drop mine from about one foot and closes great. As for the second question, yes it is possible to damage your hood, if it doesn't close, open your hood and try again. You'll get a feeling for closing your hood. Had to drop the hood on my old Corvettes, they latch on both sides so you couldn't push them closed.

Guys,

I noticed that the front of the hood doesn't line up across the front of the grill. Mine has a wider gap on the left side then the right. I have a friend that has a very high end paint shop, going to see if they can align the hood and grill a little better.

I adjusted my rubber hood stops back up, because there weren't touching the hood underside. I checked clearances with a small pea sized ball of soft clay. The original adjustment downward did little to offset the differential between the hood and the front nose so I nixed the "fix". I think that the hood itself is the culprit (deformed). I guess it is what it is. Not worth bringing it in and having them mess up something else in the process of fixing it, like scratching the fender paint or something. You think that for 50K they'd do a better job. I've seen better alignment from the 60's!

I adjusted my rubber hood stops back up, because there weren't touching the hood underside. I checked clearances with a small pea sized ball of soft clay. The original adjustment downward did little to offset the differential between the hood and the front nose so I nixed the "fix". I think that the hood itself is the culprit (deformed). I guess it is what it is. Not worth bringing it in and having them mess up something else in the process of fixing it, like scratching the fender paint or something. You think that for 50K they'd do a better job. I've seen better alignment from the 60's!

I still blame the design. The designers should have known that the factroy tolerances would make that line very visible. My '08 hood gap on one side is greater on one side than the other. I loosened the bolts, because I am a pickey son of a b, and it was already all the way in one direction. The wrong one. To fix the gaps, I'd need to drill and that isn't happening.

My '02GT the hood scoop wasn't even fully engaged in its holes. I did have to do some drilling to fix that Job 1....

Archived