TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer brakes

This is the first set of real performance breaks I have had, so I don't know what to expect. When I get the car up in speed over, 140 mph and then slow it down, not even fast, just gradually, the breaks start to chatter quite bad, it shakes the whole car. once the breaks have cooled down, they seam to go back to normal. Is this normal for breaks with slotted rotors ? :headscratch:

Thanks for any help

This is the first set of real performance breaks I have had, so I don't know what to expect. When I get the car up in speed over, 140 mph and then slow it down, not even fast, just gradually, the breaks start to chatter quite bad, it shakes the whole car. once the breaks have cooled down, they seam to go back to normal. Is this normal for breaks with slotted rotors ? :headscratch:

Thanks for any help

BAER BRAKES?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

To answer your question...No

BTW, do you mean KPH?

Sorry, it's been a long s:censored:ty day,

no I mean MPH

Boy, don't I know what you mean!

WOW, 140MPH! I would tone'er down a tad if they're shaking that bad. Did you put them on or do you have a SS?

Please, have them checked out right away we don't want to loose another Shelby brother. They could very well have been damaged after going that fast. This is DEFINITELY NOT NORMAL!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

It's 08SS0915, that's not fast for this car, it should do close to 200 I would think. That's why I am asking, I all ready talked to the guy's that SSed it, they said it was normal for these kind of breaks, had a hard time believing that

Hope to get some more feed back from SS guy's or some one with the Shelby 6p BAER breaks

It's 08SS0915, that's not fast for this car, it should do close to 200 I would think. That's why I am asking, I all ready talked to the guy's that SSed it, they said it was normal for these kind of breaks, had a hard time believing that

Hope to get some more feed back from SS guy's or some one with the Shelby 6p BAER breaks

ive had a lot of performance brakes in my day, baer, brembo, both stock and aftermarket kits. Did you bed the brakes in?

if not this could be part of the issue.

its simple...

take the car to an area where there isnt much traffic and you can get to 60 repeatedly.

take the car up to 60mph then brake hard, and i mean hard to a full stop. (warning eyeballs may pop out, lol)

then drive up to 60 again, repeat

then 1 more time and repeat. you may see smoke coming out of the brakes, this is normal.

After the 3rd time, drive the car normally for a while and let them cool.

then you should be good. sometimes with certain pads it may take 2 cycles. dont do both cycles of 3 stops same day.

Now to be sure, the shuddering is it when crusing or only when braking?

good luck!

At the track this weekend with my SS and I did lots of 130+ MPH to HARD braking. I do get a slight ( I mean VERY slight ) shimmy in the steering wheel, not enough to worry about.

Man are these cars FUN FUN FUN to :shift: .

ive had a lot of performance brakes in my day, baer, brembo, both stock and aftermarket kits. Did you bed the brakes in?

if not this could be part of the issue.

its simple...

take the car to an area where there isnt much traffic and you can get to 60 repeatedly.

take the car up to 60mph then brake hard, and i mean hard to a full stop. (warning eyeballs may pop out, lol)

then drive up to 60 again, repeat

then 1 more time and repeat. you may see smoke coming out of the brakes, this is normal.

After the 3rd time, drive the car normally for a while and let them cool.

then you should be good. sometimes with certain pads it may take 2 cycles. dont do both cycles of 3 stops same day.

Now to be sure, the shuddering is it when crusing or only when braking?

good luck!

Thanks for the info, The guys that SSed my car said they bed the breaks for me when they tested my car before they sent it back to me. maybe I should try it again. Yes the shudder is only when breaking at high speeds, feels like the rotors are warped bad, but then they go back to normal, WEIRD

Thanks for the info, The guys that SSed my car said they bed the breaks for me when they tested my car before they sent it back to me. maybe I should try it again. Yes the shudder is only when breaking at high speeds, feels like the rotors are warped bad, but then they go back to normal, WEIRD

Put the car up on Jack Stands. Take off the rear tires and put the lug nuts with some large washers back on to secure the rotors. Then have someone put the car in gear and apply the brakes lightly while you inspect the rear rotor rotation. If you see one rotor appear to move the caliper back and forth when applying the brakes lightly, it is warped.

Put the car up on Jack Stands. Take off the rear tires and put the lug nuts with some large washers back on to secure the rotors. Then have someone put the car in gear and apply the brakes lightly while you inspect the rear rotor rotation. If you see one rotor appear to move the caliper back and forth when applying the brakes lightly, it is warped.

If they really were warped, then it would shudder at any speed wouldn't it ? It only does that on high speed stops.

YOUR ROTORS ARE WARPED.

Take it from me. I've been right through this saga with huge disappointment.

I launched them and fitted bigger Brembo rotors and some decent pads. The car stops like nothing else I've come across. Even on track with very aggressive braking they just get better.

Jack one of your front wheels off the ground and manually spin it. You'll feel/hear/see it grab on the high spot.

This has also happenned to another I know here in the UK.

have an SS , , and braked at high speed, no shudder

Do you put the emergency brake on?

If so have probably warpped the rotors.

Never put the emergency brake on.

This is excellent information. Can you explain the dynamics of how the rotors can become warped by using the E brake? Thx, Jim

This is excellent information. Can you explain the dynamics of how the rotors can become warped by using the E brake? Thx, Jim

When the brakes are hot and you stop moving, the rotors cool by ambient heat dissapating from the rotors. When you leave the e-brake on, that rotor can't cool evenly because the e-brake is toching the rotor and the natural eddy currents than form with conductive cooling can't form around that part of the rotor and it warps do to uneven cooling.

I am always very consciencious about breaking in my vehicles, so what I did was check thoroughly on the SS.

I bedded and seasoned my brakes prior to any hard braking.

I just wonder if everyone is aware of this process, as I found this out on my own??

Should there be more awareness at the mod shops? Don't know, but I do not seem to have any issues with my brakes...........yet.

I am always very consciencious about breaking in my vehicles, so what I did was check thoroughly on the SS.

I bedded and seasoned my brakes prior to any hard braking.

I just wonder if everyone is aware of this process, as I found this out on my own??

Should there be more awareness at the mod shops? Don't know, but I do not seem to have any issues with my brakes...........yet.

baer's brake pads are very hard and need proper bedding. Baer is very explicit about this and the pads needing outgassing. Do it and then try again! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

This is in reference of setting the e-brake AFTER using the brakes heavily and the rotor being hot. The most common occurance is after driving the car at a track event coming into the paddock and setting the e-brake out of habit. Where the pads clamp the rotor it will stay much hotter while cooling and you can warp the rotor--the pads also often bake onto the rotor which is another major hassle.

Tom

Archived