TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Separator Installation

FordGeek

Hello all. Given my first hand experience with severe blow by in my 2007, I went ahead and installed a Steeda oil separator on my 2010 just to keep the SC intake as clean as possible, and to prevent the intercooler from getting fouled up with atomized oil. I could have put one together for half the cost by taking a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's, but I was too lazy and just bought the Steeda. I have enclosed some pictures for your reference, and you'll notice in one of them that the supercharger end of the PCV coupling is already covered in fresh oil. So, the sooner you get this done the less crap that will get into your intake and intercooler. It's a very simple install and it will only take the better part of 20 minutes to get it done.

Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

post-2843-1250740928_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1250740949_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1250740900_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1250740973_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1250740900_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1250740928_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1250740949_thumb.jpg

post-2843-1250740973_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the post.Is the blowby something that comes with highmileage--Ill only do 3-4000 miles peryear--looks pretty easy to do,but im not real mechanical

No, it has nothing to do with mileage whatsoever. In fact, all cars have a bit of it; but supercharged and turbocharged engines are more prone to it due to the pressure gradients created by forced induction. I swapped out the stock Eaton on my 2007 with a KB at 1200 miles and the intake was just a nasty mess. You'll get more, of course, if you do any kind of "spirited" driving; which I do plenty of. After having this past experience, I decided I wouldn't let it happen to my 2010.

A simple cheap check valve in the PCV line goes a long way without the need for a seperator.

not being mechanical, whats a check valve and where would i buy the correct one--thanks.Sounds like it would be installed in-line with the current PCV valve.thanks

not being mechanical, whats a check valve and where would i buy the correct one--thanks.Sounds like it would be installed in-line with the current PCV valve.thanks

A check valve is a valve that allows flow in one direction, when the flow reverses the valve automatically closes. Usually the fluid or air itself provides the force for opening and closing.

Regards,

Jim

Hope you're enjoying your car,finally.By only flowing in one direction does that affect any operation in the PCV system,One would think if there is a problem with blow-by,the factory would put a check valve in,wouldnt they.But then again,why do they continue to put parts in our cars that rust.

Hope you're enjoying your car,finally.By only flowing in one direction does that affect any operation in the PCV system,One would think if there is a problem with blow-by,the factory would put a check valve in,wouldnt they.But then again,why do they continue to put parts in our cars that rust.

Thanks. This is the best car I have ever owned and I hope to have it for a very long time.

I have no idea why they do anything, I am not very mechanically inclined. I know a lot about valves from my time working on tankers carrying petroleum products but relatively little on engines.

I am going to have my brother-in-law take care of the rusty pumpkin, he has a small body shop and he is currently repainting my '88 mustang GT Vert.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks. This is the best car I have ever owned and I hope to have it for a very long time.

I have no idea why they do anything, I am not very mechanically inclined. I know a lot about valves from my time working on tankers carrying petroleum products but relatively little on engines.

I am going to have my brother-in-law take care of the rusty pumpkin, he has a small body shop and he is currently repainting my '88 mustang GT Vert.

Regards,

Jim

More info link

Check valves will not work under boost because they will open to allow flow from the crankcase, through the valve cover, and into the intake. There is no air heading back from the supercharger to the PCV valve under WOT. So, a catch can (separator) assures you grab any atomized oil from the air stream.

Most would agree that the GT500 should have come standard with the separator. It is a simple install and has no downside (assuming you empty it when needed). The Steeda unit looks like what came as part of my KB install at SAI.

Jim

Check valves will not work under boost because they will open to allow flow from the crankcase, through the valve cover, and into the intake. There is no air heading back from the supercharger to the PCV valve under WOT. So, a catch can (separator) assures you grab any atomized oil from the air stream.

Actually, that's wrong. When installed in the correct direction it slams shut under boost. This keeps the real issue at bay, which is boost pressure running through the crankcase.

With a check valve installed the correct way, all you will have is the same amount of blow by as an NA car.

Now for the best of both worlds you could do a check valve AND a seperator, but the small amount of oil ingested under non-boost driving isn't a real concern IMO on a well maintained car.

Actually, that's wrong. When installed in the correct direction it slams shut under boost. This keeps the real issue at bay, which is boost pressure running through the crankcase.

With a check valve installed the correct way, all you will have is the same amount of blow by as an NA car.

Now for the best of both worlds you could do a check valve AND a seperator, but the small amount of oil ingested under non-boost driving isn't a real concern IMO on a well maintained car.

No you're wrong, the extra blowby doesn't come from the blower through the PCV system, it comes via the rings and valve guides. Check valve won't work, but a seperator will.

No you're wrong, the extra blowby doesn't come from the blower through the PCV system, it comes via the rings and valve guides. Check valve won't work, but a seperator will.

Err wow. And where do you think it goes after it passes by the rings and valve guides?

Ultimately ends up in pcv and into intake

I will not argue further, lol.

I am not a very good automobile mechanic but i can overhaul an aircraft engine. I am a little confused about the description of what this part does.

I have always installed air-oil-seperators on my aircraft as they reduce oil consumption and keep the floor of the hangar clean.

When an aircraft engine runs even on an engine with good valves and rings you get some blowby which is normal. The crankcase is always "pressurized" when the engine is running and some oil can escape thru the crank case vent tube along with crankcase vapors. The seperator collects the oil and sends it back to the crankcase and the vapors then vent outside the aircraft.

If you are getting oil coming from the crankcase into the combustion chamber then it would seem to me that there is a problem with the engine.

Is there a diagram that shows how this GT500 part works and where the oil it is intercepting is coming from and where it is going if not intercepted. I would also imagine that the amount captured would be a direct reflection on the condition of the engine.

I just like to thorougly understand what something does before I change the factory configuration of an engine.

Thanks for the help,

Edit: Also does this part increase the crankcase pressure when installed or is it free flow.

Steve

I am not a very good automobile mechanic but i can overhaul an aircraft engine. I am a little confused about the description of what this part does.

I have always installed air-oil-seperators on my aircraft as they reduce oil consumption and keep the floor of the hangar clean.

When an aircraft engine runs even on an engine with good valves and rings you get some blowby which is normal. The crankcase is always "pressurized" when the engine is running and some oil can escape thru the crank case vent tube along with crankcase vapors. The seperator collects the oil and sends it back to the crankcase and the vapors then vent outside the aircraft.

If you are getting oil coming from the crankcase into the combustion chamber then it would seem to me that there is a problem with the engine.

Is there a diagram that shows how this GT500 part works and where the oil it is intercepting is coming from and where it is going if not intercepted. I would also imagine that the amount captured would be a direct reflection on the condition of the engine.

I just like to thorougly understand what something does before I change the factory configuration of an engine.

Thanks for the help,

Edit: Also does this part increase the crankcase pressure when installed or is it free flow.

Steve

I gotta say. Quite a few folks have installed the separater and have revealed pics of the resultant oil this part picks up.

As some have changed over their SC or had the originals off, Its apparent a bit of oil does precipitate into the upper air

track. I'll be getting this Steeda part.

IS

Why not opt for a larger unit than that 1/2 a shotglass Steeda at $70? You can get a Jaz or BKU for $40 more and dump it out when needed rather than once per week? I'm curious as to the other options out there that may cost more money, but are also bigger and shinier.

Who know's the hose diameters?

The Steeda unit looks like a regular filter with a Coalescing filter element inside of it. The filter centrifuges the oil droplets from the air and the very small droplets that do not fall off via the centrifuge effect, are trapped by the coalescing element.

It works, but I agree that a regular filter like this looks awafull.

The Steeda unit looks like a regular filter with a Coalescing filter element inside of it. The filter centrifuges the oil droplets from the air and the very small droplets that do not fall off via the centrifuge effect, are trapped by the coalescing element.

It works, but I agree that a regular filter like this looks awafull.

Besides Steeda, is the JAZ part more presentable ?

IS

It's all a matter of personal taste. The Steeda, like I said, isn't anything special and you can pull the parts together from your local Home Depot or Lowe's Hardware. Some think it isn't pretty; but I'm not into the aesthetics. I considered the larger ones, but you'll have to attach brackets to hold them either on the firewall or the passenger side strut tower; never mind hoses running back and forth; this IMO is uglier than a simple inline catch can.

Archived