TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lethal Performance's 2010 GT500- First Trip to the Track!

jared@lethal

With only 300 miles on the car we made our way up to Palm Beach International Raceway to make a few baseline runs with the new car. I got up there and our driver Derek Perez was already there waiting for me. The place was empty. Only a few cars and trucks which was good for us as we could get a bunch of runs in without having to wait in long lines. The weather was 83 deg and still very humid and muggy from the rain we had all morning and afternoon. For the first few runs we kept the tire pressure which I believe was 40+psi. Derek took it real easy as he wanted to get used to the new car. I believe the last time Derek took our 08' down the track it was making over 250rwhp more than our 2010 is. So it was basically starting from scratch. With a few high 12.90's and low 13's Derek started getting the hang of it. We lowered the air pressure down closer to 30psi. Once the tire pressure was lowered we cracked off some 12.70's. A 12.77@112.56 and our best of the evening 12.74@112.29. We only spent about 2 hours at the track and called it a night. One thing that I feel is important to mention was how the 2010 felt compared to the 08'. The 08' in stock form suffered quite a bit of wheel hop at the track not only in the burnout box but whenever the tires spun off the line. With the 2010 Derek noticed no wheel hop whatsoever and that can be seen in the videos that I took. I wonder though whether that will change with better tires such as drag radials or more power but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Being that we ran a best of 12.68 with our 08' completely stock in the winter I feel pretty good about the times we put down. I'm sure with a little more seat time and 30deg cooler air temps we would have definitely beat the 08's times. However we won't see any cooler weather for a few more months.

Our plans are to take the car over to our good friends at UPR and do some dyno testing. We plan on running the car on the dyno completely stock. Then we'll put a mild tune on and then an aggressive one. Lastly after we've documented those runs and compared times we'll be putting on one of our Lethal Performance offroad x-pipes and see how the car reacts. I really like the sound that the 4" tips make during acceleration but the car is definitely too quiet. I'm hoping that when we put the offroad pipe on it will give us that aggressive sound that the car is dying to make.

Shortly after that we'll be doing the entire rear suspension with a whole bunch of parts compliments of Scott Boda at Steeda Autosports.

Here's a few pics from tonight and below is a link to the videos.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

VIDEOS

Stupid question, what is the tape on the rear fender/bumper for?

It protects the paint from chipping during burnouts in the burnout box. Neat little trick I learned with our last car. The cool thing is that the painters tape we use matches our stripes! LOL

Stupid question, what is the tape on the rear fender/bumper for?

keep rubber off fenders. I use geddex.

Lethal-

No wheel hop is amazing. My stock runs(before UCA/LCA) resulted in HORRIBLE wheel hop. Banging around, wheels hopping down the track.

12.8x is best I could do in similar temps to yours.

Come to think of it I only ran completely stock at my local POS track w/ no prep. My best runs were at Maple Grove, PA

My best when I installed UCA/LCAs was a 12.48 @116 with a 1.88 60' otherwise stock. I am throwing out the 11.60 since I haven't been able to back it up at my local POS track.

keep rubber off fenders. I use geddex.

Lethal-

No wheel hop is amazing. My stock runs(before UCA/LCA) resulted in HORRIBLE wheel hop. Banging around, wheels hopping down the track.

12.8x is best I could do in similar temps to yours.

Come to think of it I only ran completely stock at my local POS track w/ no prep. My best runs were at Maple Grove, PA

My best when I installed UCA/LCAs was a 12.48 @116 with a 1.88 60' otherwise stock. I am throwing out the 11.60 since I haven't been able to back it up at my local POS track.

Derek just mentioned to be that when the tires were warmed up with lower pressure in them he did have some hop during the 1-2 shift. Figured I'd mention it as I thought he saw no hop at all.

Jared

Derek just mentioned to be that when the tires were warmed up with lower pressure in them he did have some hop during the 1-2 shift. Figured I'd mention it as I thought he saw no hop at all.

Jared

You think I should bother with a Rousch UCA on my stock GT500 with a tune? Actually it will have FRPP springs as well soon, not sure how that effects things.

Hey Jared, I followed your previous gen GT500 performance blog and can't wait to see what you guys do with a 2010! Just wondering if Lethal has any plans to put stickier and / or fatter rear road tires instead of Hoosier drag tires to better simulate conditions on the street. Can't wait to see the performance you guys squeeze out of the 2010!

You think I should bother with a Rousch UCA on my stock GT500 with a tune? Actually it will have FRPP springs as well soon, not sure how that effects things.

I don't think you necessarily need the UCA at the stock power level however I also don't feel it will hurt to put one on.

Hey Jared, I followed your previous gen GT500 performance blog and can't wait to see what you guys do with a 2010! Just wondering if Lethal has any plans to put stickier and / or fatter rear road tires instead of Hoosier drag tires to better simulate conditions on the street. Can't wait to see the performance you guys squeeze out of the 2010!

Thanks a bunch. We're really excited to be doing this again. We're dedicated to making the blogs and everything else 10 times better than before. Vidoes, pictures and detailed write-ups will be done every step of the way. I believe our next trip to the track we're going to run the car again with the stock tires and some hoosier drag radials. I'm sure at some point we'll put another style DR on it but not sure when. We've got some 20" True Forged wheels that we use on the street that have Nitto DR's on it so you may even see us take it down the track like that just to see what she can do.

All I can say is that the support we're getting from all of the manufacturers we deal with is amazing. Everyone is on board and we're gonna take it to the next level with this car by introducing new stuff that no one has seen yet.

Please let me know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

Thanks, Jared

I don't think you necessarily need the UCA at the stock power level however I also don't feel it will hurt to put one on.

Thanks a bunch. We're really excited to be doing this again. We're dedicated to making the blogs and everything else 10 times better than before. Vidoes, pictures and detailed write-ups will be done every step of the way. I believe our next trip to the track we're going to run the car again with the stock tires and some hoosier drag radials. I'm sure at some point we'll put another style DR on it but not sure when. We've got some 20" True Forged wheels that we use on the street that have Nitto DR's on it so you may even see us take it down the track like that just to see what she can do.

All I can say is that the support we're getting from all of the manufacturers we deal with is amazing. Everyone is on board and we're gonna take it to the next level with this car by introducing new stuff that no one has seen yet.

Please let me know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

Thanks, Jared

This is kind of off-topic but you have a 20" TF pair of wheels that you have already put on the 2010 gt500 and driven it around? My local wheel guy is telling me that 295's are the widest that it will take because of caliper issues. Basically I can't find any 20" wheels to fit while wearing a 305 in the rear? Any information would be much appreciated. Some pics would be sweet!

This is kind of off-topic but you have a 20" TF pair of wheels that you have already put on the 2010 gt500 and driven it around? My local wheel guy is telling me that 295's are the widest that it will take because of caliper issues. Basically I can't find any 20" wheels to fit while wearing a 305 in the rear? Any information would be much appreciated. Some pics would be sweet!

I dont know who your wheel guy is, but you can definitely run wider than a 295 tire with the proper offset/backspaced wheel. We run a 20x10.5 out back with a 305/35R20 Nitto drag radial. Justin @ VMP has installed the 345/30R18 Mickey Thompson drag radials on his car with out any major wheel well messaging.

I dont know who your wheel guy is, but you can definitely run wider than a 295 tire with the proper offset/backspaced wheel. We run a 20x10.5 out back with a 305/35R20 Nitto drag radial. Justin @ VMP has installed the 345/30R18 Mickey Thompson drag radials on his car with out any major wheel well messaging.

We should verify this on the 2010 just to be sure there's no fitment issues.

Hey Jared and Derek, gotta say I was suprised to see your responses so fast. Thx alot. Plan on doing business with you guys soon, your response on here pretty much made up my mind. Back to the wheels, some verification would be sweet whenever you get around to it. I'm very curious as to see what will fit for sure under there.

Hey Jared and Derek, gotta say I was suprised to see your responses so fast. Thx alot. Plan on doing business with you guys soon, your response on her pretty much made up my mind. Back to the wheels, some verification would be sweet whenever you get around to it. I'm very curious as to see what will fit for sure under there.

Thanks a bunch for your support. We look forward to dealing with you soon.

I'll see if I can fit the wheels sometime this weekend and post up what I found.

Jared

update: just got back from the track and ran a new pb in the GT500 bone stock. got to tech at 6:30, starts pouring rain. track is ready at about 8:30, first pass, 12.47@116.37 with a 2.02 sixty. it was hot and humid as hell as you can imagine. when i looked up at the lights, it looked like we were in a cloud!

Archived