TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brembo Rear Brake Upgrade

Yeah, I saw the Baer brakes, but I want Brembos. Thanks anyway.

I don't remember exactly why this can't be done, but it can't.

Something with the amount of movement a solid axle has and that a fixed caliper can't work. As the axle moves around it would cause the disk to hit the pads, I think....

And I don't think Brembo will make us a caliper that floats....not enough volume to warrant, I think....

Something with the amount of movement a solid axle has and that a fixed caliper can't work. As the axle moves around it would cause the disk to hit the pads, I think....

And I don't think Brembo will make us a caliper that floats....not enough volume to warrant, I think....

Damn, that sucks. I was really wanting a Brembo to go in the rear also.

A properly designed rear brake upgrade absolutely can be done. The axle movement problem you are talking about (known as pad knockback) is the reason that most companies including Brembo have chosen to not make a rear kit for the S197 chassis. If you have never experienced this, it is quite scary on a track.

Back to solutions for you...AP Racing is the ONLY brake manufacturer that has developed a rear brake kit that eliminates the pad knockback problem. This is one of the reasons it is the best brake system available for the GT500/S197 Mustang. Other reasons are the outstanding balance, pedal modulation, consistency, and of course stopping power.

Dan

A properly designed rear brake upgrade absolutely can be done. The axle movement problem you are talking about (known as pad knockback) is the reason that most companies including Brembo have chosen to not make a rear kit for the S197 chassis. If you have never experienced this, it is quite scary on a track.

Back to solutions for you...AP Racing is the ONLY brake manufacturer that has developed a rear brake kit that eliminates the pad knockback problem. This is one of the reasons it is the best brake system available for the GT500/S197 Mustang. Other reasons are the outstanding balance, pedal modulation, consistency, and of course stopping power.

Dan

Dan,

Are the AP Racing calipers fixed or floating. I am just curious how they achieved this, assuming it is a fixed caliper like the front Brembo on the GT500?

Unfortunatley, I'd just like my brakes to match, more for asthetics than anything. Yes, I want the brakes to be real upgrades, but I don't race, so I don't "need" them, just think a car should have the same Brembo calipers on the back that it has on the front. I don't want to invest $5K on a performace braking system.

I did not see a rear Brembo brake upgrade on Steeda's site, only a front Brembo upgrade. I'm with AlloyDropTop though, I really don't want to spend $5k on a brake system. I don't race or anything, just want them to look the same really and a upgrade in perfromance is always good but for $5k I'd be slapping a supercharger on her.

I did not see a rear Brembo brake upgrade on Steeda's site, only a front Brembo upgrade. I'm with AlloyDropTop though, I really don't want to spend $5k on a brake system. I don't race or anything, just want them to look the same really and a upgrade in perfromance is always good but for $5k I'd be slapping a supercharger on her.

You're right, there isn't a rear Brembo upgrade on Steeda, or anyone else's site because it doesn't exist. Brembo won't produce a rear kit for these cars because they can't get the calipers to work correctly on this application.

I can certainly understand wanting to spend $5k on other mods besides brakes, but for those who drive on the track, brakes are one of the best things you can do and also one of the areas where you can shave the most time off of your laps. Also, once you drive or ride in a GT500 with AP Racing brakes on the track you will understand why people spend the money on them, and will want them too :)

For the S197 cars, there just isn't a simple caliper only swap that will match your bront Brembo calipers. The only way to properly and safely upgrade the rear is with a complete kit like my AP Racing kit.

Dan

Dan,

Are the AP Racing calipers fixed or floating. I am just curious how they achieved this, assuming it is a fixed caliper like the front Brembo on the GT500?

Unfortunatley, I'd just like my brakes to match, more for asthetics than anything. Yes, I want the brakes to be real upgrades, but I don't race, so I don't "need" them, just think a car should have the same Brembo calipers on the back that it has on the front. I don't want to invest $5K on a performace braking system.

The AP Racing kit uses a fixed caliper. I'll talk to someone in my brake division on Monday to get the particulars of how and why the AP Racing kit works when other kits do not, and answer your question.

Dan

If someone wants a brake upgrade what is wrong with the Baer upgrade on the lethal performance site?

Since were on brakes, anybody notice the abundance of brake dust after a short drive? I would be happy with some low dust pads, maybe ceramic. Any thought on this?

DUDE!!!! I KNOW!!!! It really builds up in like NO TIME AT ALL!!! I can wash and polish those wheels and go to the store, by the time I come back their dirty!!!!

DUDE!!!! I KNOW!!!! It really builds up in like NO TIME AT ALL!!! I can wash and polish those wheels and go to the store, by the time I come back their dirty!!!!

I sort of thought that might be the reason Ford went to the grey wheels? My shiney '08 wheels show dust in a 2 minute drive up to the gas station nearby....

Since were on brakes, anybody notice the abundance of brake dust after a short drive? I would be happy with some low dust pads, maybe ceramic. Any thought on this?

If you drive on street only (NO track days or autox), you can use the Hawk Ceramic pads or the Porterfield R4S. If you do go to track days occasionally, use the Mintex Xtreme. If you go to track days more than occasionally, or drive hard at the track, use the Mintex Xtreme Motorsport pads.

I of course carry all of the pads named in my post. The pads are listed in order of stopping power from least to most.

Dan

Stillen, What is the best pad you have to mimic OEM stopping with out the dust?

All of the pads I listed will reduce the dust over the OE pad, and provide OE stopping power or better (the Hawk ceramic pad might be slightly less than OE stopping power). It really depends on how you drive the car...for instance, if you take the car to track days, you DO NOT want to run the Hawk ceramics, and probably not the Porterfield R4S pads. But if you drive the car exclusively on the street, and never to the track or autox, either will work for you. Just keep in mind the intended use of the car when you narrow down your pad choice, and you will be fine. If you're thinking about taking the car to the track, then you probably will eventually and make your choice based on occasional track day. Either of the Mintex pads will work well in that application.

Dan

The AP Racing kit uses a fixed caliper. I'll talk to someone in my brake division on Monday to get the particulars of how and why the AP Racing kit works when other kits do not, and answer your question.

Dan

OK after discussing with my brake division manager, I am very limited in what I can discuss about this, but i'll tell you what I can.

The main reason that the AP caliper can handle the pad knockback is in the design. This problem has come up in other applications also, and AP Racing engineered a caliper design that solved the problem. For the S197 Mustang/GT500, the same technology was used, with minor revisions for this particular application. I apologize for the vague answer but the details are proprietary, and can't be released.

Dan

OK after discussing with my brake division manager, I am very limited in what I can discuss about this, but i'll tell you what I can.

The main reason that the AP caliper can handle the pad knockback is in the design. This problem has come up in other applications also, and AP Racing engineered a caliper design that solved the problem. For the S197 Mustang/GT500, the same technology was used, with minor revisions for this particular application. I apologize for the vague answer but the details are proprietary, and can't be released.

Dan

Can I get the front and rear brake kits with black calipers with silver lettering?

Archived