TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Problems with GT500 on Delivery

bpmurr

Update:

I got word from my dealer today they will replace the rim. They are going to order one for me when I bring it in next month to have the scratches addressed. I'm waiting till after the show season in-case there are any issues during the repair process.

It seems their third GT500 on allocation is on indefinite hold. As it stands they won't be getting another car this year.

Has anyone on this site actually car-washed their GT500? :o I have a local very high quality carwash nearby, that has never damaged any of my previous cars and always has a long line outside including Jags, Porsches etc. However, I have been going the handwash route with the GT500 as the manual says not to car-wash it.

I am a bit worried that the frt wheels or the rear spoiler may get damaged if I use this carwash? I know that this is probably sacrilege, but if someone gave me the all clear I would probably go for it :hide:

Hey Ian,

I know the only car-washes I have ever used on my previous 'Stangs are the "brushless" ones at Sunoco (and they don't have the tracks for wheels)........in middle of winter just in case there is any salt/sand on the underside. But I would NEVER use one the ones that actually touch the car......just a thought!!......

If you wanted to watch me die a thousand deaths you could put my Shelby through one of those automatic car washes....LOL! I just won't ever do that...I never went through one of those and never will. The car wash has no idea what type of car is coming through. The thought of this is sending chills up my spine! :wacko:

Just use the manual car wash to clean off the bottom during the winter...much more controlled.

Has anyone on this site actually car-washed their GT500? :o I have a local very high quality carwash nearby, that has never damaged any of my previous cars and always has a long line outside including Jags, Porsches etc. However, I have been going the handwash route with the GT500 as the manual says not to car-wash it.

I am a bit worried that the frt wheels or the rear spoiler may get damaged if I use this carwash? I know that this is probably sacrilege, but if someone gave me the all clear I would probably go for it :hide:

I would never run a car like this through an automatic car wash, regardless of how good the system is or how expensive the cars are that go in there. With a dark color like Kona you really need to be careful otherwise some of the dirt on the scrubbers from the cars that went in before you will end up making swirl marks on your paint. I bet the Jags and Porsche's that go through there are on 2-year leases. The owners don't really care what it looks like in 2 years. They just turn them in and get new ones after they ruin them.

I've found that the thing that damages a car's finish more than anything is poor washing habits. Hand wash with a Boars hair brush, not sponges which hold dirt.

My 3 cents.

I would never run a car like this through an automatic car wash, regardless of how good the system is or how expensive the cars are that go in there. With a dark color like Kona you really need to be careful otherwise some of the dirt on the scrubbers from the cars that went in before you will end up making swirl marks on your paint. I bet the Jags and Porsche's that go through there are on 2-year leases. The owners don't really care what it looks like in 2 years. They just turn them in and get new ones after they ruin them.

I've found that the thing that damages a car's finish more than anything is poor washing habits. Hand wash with a Boars hair brush, not sponges which hold dirt.

My 3 cents.

+1...those big ass scrubbers just rub everyone elses dirt and rocks all over your car!!! Boars hair brush?? Never heard of that before :headscratch: Definitely use different mitts or whatever for different parts of vehicle too........Always pre-rinse, diff mitt for lowest part of car that may have picked up something rough. And never go to one of those car-wash places that do it for you. They use the same stuff on numerous cars -- from the wheels to the body...I would never trust anyone touching my car at all!!!

Boars hair brush?? Never heard of that before :headscratch:

Me neither 2Sharpie. Sounds abrasive at first! I know it's not of course. Interesting.

I've been using microfiber towels to wash and dry my car and the water blade for the windows and flat surface for drying initially. I like the process I have going now.

Yeah, yeah, I know,.I know.....apologies everyone..........that was me that asked the car-wash question in a moment of madness.... I knew that post would upset the purists amongst us (they don't like it up e'm you know) ;) and that it would come back to haunt me!

Anyway don't panic Mr. Mainwaring, I haven't taken it through the car-wash and have been paying my local JAX car wash to hand wash and wax it. Bloody expensive that is you know! In between washes I've been using a California car duster and some microfiber cloths, and I must say they make a dirty car look pretty dam good pretty quick :)

And yes, it most definitely does go faster when its clean!

Regards, Ian

Yeah, yeah, I know,.I know.....that was me that asked the car-wash question. I knew that post would upset the purists amongst us (they don't like it up e'm you know) ;) and that it would come back to haunt me!

Anyway don't panic Mr. Mainwaring, I haven't taken it through the car-wash and have been paying my local JAX car wash to hand wash and wax it. Bloody expensive that is you know! In between washes I've been using a California car duster and some microfiber cloths, and I must say they make a dirty car look pretty dam good pretty quick :)

And yes, it most definately does go faster when its clean!

Regards, Ian

hehe. Eh...no worries, it gives us something to chat about AgentIan. :poke:

Always looked at those california dusters...never got one. Seems I find something stuck on the surface all the time besides just dust...so I end up either rinsing the car or doing the quik detailer stuff. I suppose it's really good for show cars...sitting in dusty fields or something after the car has already been detailed.

Always looked at those california dusters...never got one. Seems I find something stuck on the surface all the time besides just dust...so I end up either rinsing the car or doing the quik detailer stuff. I suppose it's really good for show cars...sitting in dusty fields or something after the car has already been detailed.

I know what you mean BB, it definitely doesn't work as well as when I actually lived in California. When I lived there, I would drive my car for an entire week and it would just gather this sort of superficial, pollen like, dirt/dust, that would come off if I just sneezed in the general vicinity of the car! That said, the dirt in Michigan seems to be a lot more stubborn - if you know what I mean ;) - but still, I have been surprised as to how effective the California car duster remains! Interestingly enough, as you say, there have been a few stubborn marks that the duster hasn't removed, but they have been "mopped" up by the microfiber cloths pretty easily afterwards. Also, the microfiber cloths work wonders on the rims (a different one from the bodywork of course!) – they are the quickest and most effective way I’ve found to clean them!

Anyway, the duster only cost me $9.99 at Meijer...definitely worth a go.....at risk of repeating myself too much, I'm genuinely impressed with the combination of it and the microfiber cloths.

Hey Ian,

I know the only car-washes I have ever used on my previous 'Stangs are the "brushless" ones at Sunoco (and they don't have the tracks for wheels)........in middle of winter just in case there is any salt/sand on the underside. But I would NEVER use one the ones that actually touch the car......just a thought!!......

Hi 2Sharpie,

I know.........I lost it for a moment.......probably one too many Pina Coladas before I posted. Thanks for digging this up.......not........ :club:

Regards, Ian

Your email sounds good to me, Bpmurr. I sort of echo Chuckstangs' comment too. Definitely need to order a new wheel for you.

And the paint is a tough one - that's your call.

As far as the marks on the black plastic trim...have you tried something like back to black to see if it would minimize the appearance of the mark? Otherwise..I'd make them order another one of those for you too.

Black magic marker works well if back to black doesn't work.

Roger

I know what you mean BB, it definitely doesn't work as well as when I actually lived in California. When I lived there, I would drive my car for an entire week and it would just gather this sort of superficial, pollen like, dirt/dust, that would come off if I just sneezed in the general vicinity of the car! That said, the dirt in Michigan seems to be a lot more stubborn - if you know what I mean ;) - but still, I have been surprised as to how effective the California car duster remains! Interestingly enough, as you say, there have been a few stubborn marks that the duster hasn't removed, but they have been "mopped" up by the microfiber cloths pretty easily afterwards. Also, the microfiber cloths work wonders on the rims (a different one from the bodywork of course!) – they are the quickest and most effective way I’ve found to clean them!

Anyway, the duster only cost me $9.99 at Meijer...definitely worth a go.....at risk of repeating myself too much, I'm genuinely impressed with the combination of it and the microfiber cloths.

Alright...I think I may pick up one of the dusters next time I'm feeling like spending some "excess" money. Thanks Ian.

For sure...I'm a microfiber fanatic too...lol. Funny a year ago I hadn't ever used them.

I had the same type of scratch in my rim. I took a $300 dollar credit from my dealer, not realizing that these rims cost $1200. I'd push for a new rim or a $1000 credit on the rim. A grand will help you cope.

I have some other cosmetic issues too, which I may have taken care of myself. Not sure yet, but I'm disappointed in the quality of this car, especially as compared to my 2 Honda's which together don't add up to the price of the Shelby.

I had the same type of scratch in my rim. I took a $300 dollar credit from my dealer, not realizing that these rims cost $1200. I'd push for a new rim or a $1000 credit on the rim. A grand will help you cope.

I have some other cosmetic issues too, which I may have taken care of myself. Not sure yet, but I'm disappointed in the quality of this car, especially as compared to my 2 Honda's which together don't add up to the price of the Shelby.

I'm not overly disappointed with the quality of the car. I understand things happen. It's just been the slow resolution process that bothers me. I owned a 03 Accord Couple 6-spd and it had it's own set of issues. This car is superior to that car and my 05 Mustang GT in every way.

Archived