TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Problems with GT500 on Delivery

bpmurr

My car has some cosmetic issues that where there at time of delivery. None of which have yet been resolved. One wheel has a scrape on it around the edge. There are also some cuts in the clear coat on the bumper right below the taillights. The taillights had some rough edges on the bottom and it looks like it must have happened during assembly. There are also a few nicks in the clear, one on the hood and one on the spoiler. Finally the black plastic on the rear was scratched. I took a bunch of pics which I posted below. My dealer wants to swap my rim with one on the next Shelby they get. They want the body shop to try and "clean up" the scratches on the bumper. I'm hesitant to let them do anything with the paint. I figured whey would just replace the black plastic and wheel so I'm kind of upset about that.

For those of you who had issues how did your dealer handle your issues? Where you satisfied with the result? I realize nothing is perfect but I guess I wanted a bit more Quality since it's Job 1. lol

img_0016_original.jpg

img_0015_original.jpg

img_0014_original.jpg

img_0013_original.jpg

img_0012_original.jpg

post-3104-1250646024_thumb.jpg

Holy Cow, that car is beat up. I don't think you are being unreasonable at all to get them to make it right. I picked my car up on Saturday and it did not have a single scratch or imperfection on it anywhere.

I know you waited on the car a long time but I would not have accepted the car in that condition. I would make them order you a new wheel, bumper, and rear piece.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

steve

Sorry to hear about some of the imperfections on your car, Bpmurr. I can't really comment on the paint or plastic problems - I'm not an expert on repairing paint. However, as far as the wheel goes..I would make them order the wheel for you - why should you have to wait til they get another Shelby?

Otherwise the car is great though - right? :shift:

THAT IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!! You need to be breakin their balls to handle that shit! I mean it's a $50,000 car! A RARE one at that! Totally unacceptable in my opinion. I would not stand for it. You are DEFINITELY not being unreasonable. I would be up in their shit EVERY DAY until it was resolved...the CORRECT way.

I had a problem with one of my wheels on delivery also. I didn't take the car, I told them they have to get me a new wheel before I take delivery. I was told they are waiting for Ford to send them one. I was then told they would give me a wheel off the next car showing up this week.

We'll see what happens. Definately make them fix your problems. Your not being unreasonable, you should accept nothing less then new.

Here is the email I sent to the GM of the dealer. Names protected for now.... Tell me if I'm asking too much.

xxx,

I was thinking a little more about what we talked about when I brought the car in for your review. I also discussed this issue with other 2010 GT500 owners on the Team Shelby forum. Most owners are not having these kind of imperfections on their car, those who are have received replacement parts from Ford. It's clear my car was handled a little rough during the build and on the way to the dealer. With that said I don't see why it's an issue to order me a new rear valance and and wheel. Ford said Quality is Job 1 and this does not seem to be the case with my car. If I need to speak to a Ford rep please point me in their direction, however I'm not sure why you couldn't get them to take care of for me. Your suggestion of replacing the wheel with one on a new GT500 doesn't sit well with me. It's not right for the owner of that car to have it either. If Ford wants to fix it and sell it as refurbished that's another story. With that said I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

xxxxxx

My car has some cosmetic issues that where there at time of delivery. None of which have yet been resolved. One wheel has a scrape on it around the edge. There are also some cuts in the clear coat on the bumper right below the taillights. The taillights had some rough edges on the bottom and it looks like it must have happened during assembly. There are also a few nicks in the clear, one on the hood and one on the spoiler. Finally the black plastic on the rear was scratched. I took a bunch of pics which I posted below. My dealer wants to swap my rim with one on the next Shelby they get. They want the body shop to try and "clean up" the scratches on the bumper. I'm hesitant to let them do anything with the paint. I figured whey would just replace the black plastic and wheel so I'm kind of upset about that.

For those of you who had issues how did your dealer handle your issues? Where you satisfied with the result? I realize nothing is perfect but I guess I wanted a bit more Quality since it's Job 1. lol

Ouch.... :o , that looks like something was dropped on or scrapped across the rear Fascia? I also agree with the other posters in that I would also ask that a new wheel be ordered :rant: - you never know they might even let you keep the old one when the replacement arrives? If it's any consolation, the front wheels appear to be very vulnerable, and I am not really sure how long it will be until I've marked mine in one way or another. The tyre built in rim protector is almost non-existent on the front - in contrast the rears seem much better protected. At the Woodward cruise this weekend, almost all the 2010's I saw had some sort of light scratch on one the passenger side front rim - most of them worse than yours.

How long after you collected the car did you notice all this damage? I don't know the timeline ramifications of this, but I would imagine the time between collection and reporting the damage will have something to do with the Dealers ultimate obligation?

Ouch.... :o , that looks like something was dropped on or scrapped across the rear Fascia? I also agree with the other posters in that I would also ask that a new wheel be ordered :rant: - you never know they might even let you keep the old one when the replacement arrives? If it's any consolation, the front wheels appear to be very vulnerable, and I am not really sure how long it will be until I've marked mine in one way or another. The tyre built in rim protector is almost non-existent on the front - in contrast the rears seem much better protected. At the Woodward cruise this weekend, almost all the 2010's I saw had some sort of light scratch on one the passenger side front rim - most of them worse than yours.

How long after you collected the car did you notice all this damage? I don't know the timeline ramifications of this, but I would imagine the time between collection and reporting the damage will have something to do with the Dealers ultimate obligation?

I reported all this to the dealer in an email with pictures the day after I picked it up. I also called the night I picked it up telling them I noticed this stuff and an email was coming.

You're right about the wheels. They pickup rock chips pretty easy. Which I don't mind since it's by my hand (ok I mind but what can you do other then not drive it). These issues were not and I don't need any assistance from Ford creating imperfections. lol :)

I reported all this to the dealer in an email with pictures the day after I picked it up. I also called the night I picked it up telling them I noticed this stuff.

Sounds like your on solid ground.........I would think that there might be some sort of 48 hour limit in such instances - or similiar.

Sounds like your on solid ground.........I would think that there might be some sort of 48 hour limit in such instances - or similiar.

I agree. Had I waited till after my trip to NC then I could understand them not wanting to honor anything.

I too had an issue with my rim. It had two huge gouges in it but Jeff was quick to point it out to me and let me know they had on on order. After I got back from vacation the rim was in so I took a trip up and got my new rim along with a cool new shelby hat and tshirt. They really need to do something about the transport companies obviously this is an issue if some of us have experienced it already.

That is pretty shameful. I would not tolerate that condition and would be standing on someone's chest to make it right. It is in fact unacceptable......

My car (a very early one) had one small problem. It appeared that someone leaned over the car after the color coat was applied and before the clear coat was added. It resulted in a spot about 1/8 by 1/4 inch that was bare steel with clear coat over it. It is located on the passenger side fender directly above the front wheel. I decided to not let them touch it, the cure would have been worse than the disease. In other words, it's ultimately your judgement that applies here.

I'd like the body shop that did the work on my 05 (http://www.owingscollision.com/) to do it. They do fantastic work and I wouldn't have a problem with them touching the car. The dealer however......I just don't know what to do with them. I'm interested in how they are going to touch up the spots on the bumper. I clayed the area last week and it didn't pick up anything on the surface so it's all in the paint.

I didn't even mention this one. The left side of my bumper sticks out about a 1/4 inch around the tail lamp. Anyone else have a bumper that doesn't line up exactly?

Bah, this is the reason that I want to see the car before I buy it, and I don't want to buy a car out of state then have it shipped to NY.

I imagine that if I put it into the hands of a transport company with these problems, both Ford and the transport company would blame the other.

I'd like the body shop that did the work on my 05 (http://www.owingscollision.com/) to do it. They do fantastic work and I wouldn't have a problem with them touching the car. The dealer however......I just don't know what to do with them. I'm interested in how they are going to touch up the spots on the bumper. I clayed the area last week and it didn't pick up anything on the surface so it's all in the paint.

I didn't even mention this one. The left side of my bumper sticks out about a 1/4 inch around the tail lamp. Anyone else have a bumper that doesn't line up exactly?

BP, my bumper is flush on the right side and sticks out less than 1/16 on the left side. My hood was misaligned and sticking up quite a bit on the right side but was easily adjusted and now fits just right.

Steve

I don't think they'll do that. I already have over 2 thousand miles on my car.

Car wash fubar'd your car. Midget got in to drive and couldn't judge the distance of the car rail and nicked your wheel with the wheel turned on entrance to the rail ramp. Maybe some of that other paint damage was from the car wash swinging contraptions smashing into your car. Just a hunch. I have no idea on recourse, but I feel your pain.

hate to say it but other than the wheel leave the rest alone

high chance they just make it worse

trust me and dont say I didnt warn ya!

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. I probably will end up having to use my body shop guys on my own dime. :(

Here is the email I sent to the GM of the dealer. Names protected for now.... Tell me if I'm asking too much.

Your email sounds good to me, Bpmurr. I sort of echo Chuckstangs' comment too. Definitely need to order a new wheel for you.

And the paint is a tough one - that's your call.

As far as the marks on the black plastic trim...have you tried something like back to black to see if it would minimize the appearance of the mark? Otherwise..I'd make them order another one of those for you too.

My wheel was damaged also the Dealer replaced it with a new one. My airbag was also damaged and dealer replaced it also. Stripes were also not wright the dealer is taken care of that also. Make your dealer get the new parts or call Ford customer care line.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. I probably will end up having to use my body shop guys on my own dime. :(

First-id send a bill for whatever you spend to the dealer--they will get the money from Ford.

I agree with stang--just do it yourself.The wheel burr will go away with using a Dremel drill with an abrasive stone bit--iv done it many times--the various scratches may come out unless theyrethru the clear.Id get some Meguairs # 2 and 3,which are light compounds,then use #9 to remove the swirls.If the scratch is thru the clear,theres got to be a scrach/dent removal guy that visits a local dealer everyday.The best ones work at dealers--they reall work majic.I try to stay away from body shops,ever since i had a 74 vette get oversprayed,and wound up having a big deal out of it.Good luck --BTW you can getMeguiars off Amazon.com

First-id send a bill for whatever you spend to the dealer--they will get the money from Ford.

I agree with stang--just do it yourself.The wheel burr will go away with using a Dremel drill with an abrasive stone bit--iv done it many times--the various scratches may come out unless theyrethru the clear.Id get some Meguairs # 2 and 3,which are light compounds,then use #9 to remove the swirls.If the scratch is thru the clear,theres got to be a scrach/dent removal guy that visits a local dealer everyday.The best ones work at dealers--they reall work majic.I try to stay away from body shops,ever since i had a 74 vette get oversprayed,and wound up having a big deal out of it.Good luck --BTW you can getMeguiars off Amazon.com

No way I'm letting a lot gypsy touch my car. I've seen a lot of their work, most of it's not that great.

As for the wheel it's painted so that's not going to work. It will get the burr off but the paint as well.

I'd probably try the Meguiars route.

I'm trying to find the thread with the CEO's email in it. I just called Ford Customer Service and their solution is to contact the customer relationship manager from the dealer. Already been there.

Car wash fubar'd your car. Midget got in to drive and couldn't judge the distance of the car rail and nicked your wheel with the wheel turned on entrance to the rail ramp. Maybe some of that other paint damage was from the car wash swinging contraptions smashing into your car. Just a hunch. I have no idea on recourse, but I feel your pain.

Has anyone on this site actually car-washed their GT500? :o I have a local very high quality carwash nearby, that has never damaged any of my previous cars and always has a long line outside including Jags, Porsches etc. However, I have been going the handwash route with the GT500 as the manual says not to car-wash it.

I am a bit worried that the frt wheels or the rear spoiler may get damaged if I use this carwash? I know that this is probably sacrilege, but if someone gave me the all clear I would probably go for it :hide:

Bad idea using automatic hi pressure washers with the stripes. If no stripes, then check for wheel clearance. Just like someone said "rim guard is nonexistant on the front."

As for damage to the wheels, don't want to make anybody look but, I looked under my GT500 during the first oil change and wasn't too happy. The front wheels on the inside are severly gouged, most likely from the car hauler. Being you can't see the damage, I decided to let it go. That lack of rim guard on the front wheel...i.e. carwash will do the same inside and out.

The reply to the email I posted earlier.

XXXXXX,

I will ask XXXX XXXXXX to schedule an appointment with our service rep so you can meet in person and show the Ford rep your car.

We were following Ford warranty guidelines to resolve the issues.

I am hoping to schedule this soon

XXX XXXXXX

The reply to the email I posted earlier.

XXXXXX,

I will ask XXXX XXXXXX to schedule an appointment with our service rep so you can meet in person and show the Ford rep your car.

We were following Ford warranty guidelines to resolve the issues.

I am hoping to schedule this soon

XXX XXXXXX

'I'm hoping to schedule this soon' :headscratch:

Archived