TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Our Soldier is headed to Iraq

He has my prayers aswell. I too will be leaving in about a week. I report to Camp Bullis in San Antonio to train for the Air Force Combat Convoy team. I'm an Air Force diesel mechanic and will be on a joint Air Force Army convoy unit for no less that 8 months. In the last year this will be my 2 trip to Iraq. I got back in Jan after a 7 month trip and this one with the month of training will be nothing less that 9 months.

God bless us all out there as we head into the unknown.

:salute:

He has my prayers aswell. I too will be leaving in about a week. I report to Camp Bullis in San Antonio to train for the Air Force Combat Convoy team. I'm an Air Force diesel mechanic and will be on a joint Air Force Army convoy unit for no less that 8 months. In the last year this will be my 2 trip to Iraq. I got back in Jan after a 7 month trip and this one with the month of training will be nothing less that 9 months.

Be safe and God's Speed! Thanks for what you're doing for our country. Post here when you can. :rockon:

We will keep you in our prayers, as well. Our son is at Al Taqqadum air base. Be safe and thank you for your service to our great country.

Jim

:salute::salute:

I'd like to thank all of you who replied to this thread. Our son has arrived in Iraq and is at the Al Taqqadum air base, west of Baghdad. He's adjusting to the 117 degree temperatures and says the heat is not nearly as bad as all of the sand.

Thanks again,

Jim

I'd like to thank all of you who replied to this thread. Our son has arrived in Iraq and is at the Al Taqqadum air base, west of Baghdad. He's adjusting to the 117 degree temperatures and says the heat is not nearly as bad as all of the sand.

Thanks again,

Jim

Ha-ha, yup, there's a lot of dirt out there! And there's a very specific "smell" that you get accustomed to that you never really recognize other than two occasions: when you first get off the plane in the county; and two, when you first get off the plane in the U.S. coming back and smell how nice it is here! And boy it gets hot - I'm sure you've heard the stories. We would drink in between 8 and 12 liter and 1/2 bottles of water a day to stay hydrated, and even then I can't really remember going to the bathroom more than three times a day! And you would sweat so much... eventually after wearing the same set of cammies for a couple of days, they would start to show white salt stains. Crazy.

IMO... it was harder on my family with me being over there, then it was on me. I know it can be awfully worrisome, Jim, but from my perspective I felt safe and trained for whatever would happen. Besides... he'll be one of the few that sees the "cradle of civilization" in his lifetime!

semper fi. :salute:

That's a good one. My son just told us he gets 2 beers on the birthday of the Marine Corps but he has to sing the Marine Hymn to get them.

You gotta love the interservice rivalry. :hysterical:

Archived