TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Faux Gas Cap replacement

Hello, just wondering if anyone has replaced the faux gas cap yet due to fading? Can you just get the running horse emblem or does it come all as one piece?

I haven't heard of anyone having problems w/ fading. Pretty sure you have to replace the emblem which comes w/ the running horse. You should be able to remove the emblem pretty easy by sliding some heavy fishing line behind the emblem and work the fishing line back and forth w/ some downward pressure. Adhesive is the only thing that holds it on.....Craig

after looking, not sure you can get just the emblem. I couldn't find it doing a quick "google" but someone may have. If not, looks like you will need to replace the whole cover for about $50....

Hello, just wondering if anyone has replaced the faux gas cap yet due to fading? Can you just get the running horse emblem or does it come all as one piece?

You can always order the SGT cobra emblem from Shelby. Supposed to be exclusive. I have one and it looks great on my car.

You can always order the SGT cobra emblem from Shelby. Supposed to be exclusive. I have one and it looks great on my car.

I dont think "larry" has a Shelby to qualify for the Faux gas cap. I might be wrong, but didn't the Shelby's come with the GT gas cap?

they come off its the whole thing not just the center we removed all of the KR ones during that build if you pry make sure you pry way under the cap that area dents easy. better is the new centers from SPP they peel and stick and its just the center section..

Some may have gotten lucky but that 3M tape is a PITA to get off. Yes the cap comes right off but there is 3M tape left to get off. Took me about 30 min or so with a heat gun and lift off solution to remove glue.

Radical08,

Yeah the tape is a pain, but I used a plastic pry bar, lotsa resto shops have them,, you just need to use a wide one to distribute the force over a larger area, this will reduce the chance of dents or scratches..

I did use a heat gun on those dang stripes though,,,geesh they were easily 100 times more difficult than that faux gas cap ever could be!! Half way through the stripe removal I was writing a "Good bye cruel world" note...

GNB

Hey, I'm on the way with my Jig saw have the cap and trunk lid off in a second!! Just make sure you have touch up paint. :drool::hysterical:

Racer, uhhh,,,ummm,,, Thanks for the offer??? But I have to ask, did you take your medicine today? You know how I want the straight cuts,,not that jagged stuff! Oh yeah, I am limited on the touch up paint...

GNB

Archived