TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Electronics package.

Maxhenry

So I was visting a friend of mine this weekend and we were discussing the fact that I have not ordered the electronics package.

As I drive back and forth to work, I don't need nor will I ever use a NAv unit.

Opinions as to whether the elctronics package is worth it? And, if so, why? What does it have that makes it worthwhile?

So I was visting a friend of mine this weekend and we were discussing the fact that I have not ordered the electronics package.

Opinions as to whether the elctronics package is worth it? And, if so, why? What does it have that makes it worthwhile?

If you don't have much need for the NAV you aren't missing out. It's nice but honestly not worth the $2k.

Also want to keep the extra CD option. Don't like the single CD.

I thought it was six disc. I've never had more then one in since I just burn the disc to the hard drive and put it away. I'm going to have to check this out.

my original order I did not get the Nav but the car I found on at a dealership and bought already had it. it definately looks nice but thats about it as far as im concerned.

Thank you.

I think I will leave my order as is, but if I find one on a dealer lot, I'll take it.

@maxhenry - I agree with most of the people here...I just had no use for the NAV unit. Too much money...and I would hardly use it.

I thought it was six disc. I've never had more then one in since I just burn the disc to the hard drive and put it away. I'm going to have to check this out.

I can only comment on the Shaker500 system...but mine has a six disc changer. So nice! My old car only had a single disc player...but it did have a cassette player! LOL! I might have to put one of those in the Shelby....Wow...cassettes..seems like 30 years ago.

Maxhenry,

Okay, I read all the above posts and thought I'd better share my perspective as it's rather different. I absolutely love it and consider it well worth the money. It's so much more than a Nav system! I have experienced the similar/same system on my wife's Ford Flex for almost a year now, and both her and I would not be without it and consider it practically indispensable.

There are so many features that it really would be better described as an 'entertainment system'. Yes it is a Nav system, but it also has a pretty large built in Hard drive to store your pictures or Music etc. - I'm always 'borrowing' CD's and ripping them to the hard drive. The Sirius travel link connection gives live updates to travel incidents, local Movie times, weather - including tornado warnings, and gas prices (very useful as an example, for checking the gas prices at upcoming freeway gas stations before deciding to exit or not). The weather radar system is massively useful on long drives............I could go on and on............On the downside, my i-phone does pretty much this and much more, it's just really convenient and much safer having it all integrated in the vehicle. Oh yeah, it also comes with the electronic climate control if that's important to you (not sure why).

Another factor to consider is that this type of content is becoming 'price of entry’ for a premium vehicle. Just have a look at used Porsche 911s from the last 2 years vintage, it's unusual to find one without a Nav system.

For what it's worth, I bought it and would by it again.

Regards, Ian

Maxhenry,

Okay, I read all the above posts and thought I'd better share my perspective as it's rather different. I absolutely love it and consider it well worth the money. It's so much more than a Nav system! I have experienced the similar/same system on my wife's Ford Flex for almost a year now, and both her and I would not be without it and consider it practically indispensable.

There are so many features that it really would be better described as an 'entertainment system'. Yes it is a Nav system, but it also has a pretty large built in Hard drive to store your pictures or Music etc. - I'm always 'borrowing' CD's and ripping them to the hard drive. The Sirius travel link connection gives live updates to travel incidents, local Movie times, weather - including tornado warnings, and gas prices (very useful as an example, for checking the gas prices at upcoming freeway gas stations before deciding to exit or not). The weather radar system is massively useful on long drives............I could go on and on............On the downside, my i-phone does pretty much this and much more, it's just really convenient and much safer having it all integrated in the vehicle. Oh yeah, it also comes with the electronic climate control if that's important to you (not sure why).

Another factor to consider is that this type of content is becoming 'price of entry’ for a premium vehicle. Just have a look at used Porsche 911s from the last 2 years vintage, it's unusual to find one without a Nav system.

Regards, Ian

I agree with most of what you said about the feature set. However, Ford is gimping the NAV by only providing a small list of POI's compared to what they could offer. My dads $99 Garmin seems to have more POI's.

Maxhenry,

Regards, Ian

Thank you to all for the comments.

I would love to have the ability to rip CDs, but if I can use my IPod even without the electronics pacakge then no big deal.

Most of the other features are good if you travel a lot. But this will be my daily driver; meaning it will go back and forth to work, and the occasional cruise. I don't really need the other features for that type of use.

And I was not thinking about the fact that it holds 1 CD vs the 6 CDs in the shaker 500. Not a big deal, really, but something I am use to as my current GT has the 6 disc system. Although the IPod will replace CDs for the most part.

I think I'll leave my order as is, but won't shy away from one on the ground.

Thanks, again, for the input.

Ok so just checked and the Ford DVD map is around $150 or so. This is for one DVD, one time only.

Garmin $120 for map updates for the life of the device.

Plus with the Gramin I can use it in any car/truck I want.

And yes with the Garmin you can get your traffic/weather/gas prices, ect. Just like the indash unit.

So that is why I opted out.

Cost, Map update price, and protability.

Also just want to keep some feel of a "race" car. And looking at a Nav screen just takes that away "for me".

I am saying the Nav is bad, I am sure some people love it and use it everyday. It is just not for me.

Bought my 2006 Explorer used and it had the Nav system in it and I really liked it. I am pretty good about knowing where I am going, but trying to find a particular field my kids are playing a game on is a pain, so generally just get the address and plug it in and go. Works great, would probably not buy a car without the Nav in the future. So definitely ordered it on the GT500. The one draw back to the portable units, and this has been highlighted on many news programs, that thieves will look for the suction cup marks on the windshield and break into the car looking for the GPS. I wouldn't imagine too many of us leaving are GT500's unattended for too long so not too much of a worry.

One other thought on portable vs. in dash is a lot of cell phones have the nav on them now so don't even need any of it. I find that the Nav on the cell phone loses reception too much but it still works for the most part.

You won't be wrong whatever you decide to do. Enjoy the car when she finally arrives.

Regards,

Jim

For the price you're paying for the car -if you like it get it, if you don't then pass. For me, I thought the overall Shelby performance car "image" just didn't fit with a big nav screen, was looking for more of the old school look, but Ferrari's come with nav now, so more just personal preference. My friend has a 2008 100K Mercedes with nav, and my Iphone's nav is better, so I figure thats also the first thing to get dated. The nav does allow you to get dual temperature zones/controls which could be a plus if the war department is always cold when you have the A/C on. In the end, you have to look at it everyday so get the one YOU want.

Maxhenry,

Regards, Ian

+10 I have the same set up in my 09 F-150 Platinum and just love it for all the reasons above. If you ever need the NAV, its the best I've used so far. I've had several new cars with the NAV and this ones GREAT.

I have been going back and forth about putting in a NAV system in my 08, but since its almost impossible to put a stock unit in here is an alternative if your interested. Its also bluetooth so you can use your cell phone hands free, watch a DVD,or use your IPOD. Its also cheaper than the factory unit. Something to think about.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...del=IVA-W203/P1

frankly, I'm more interested in hooking my Ipod into the system, then anything else.

Can you do that without the electronics package?

Yes, I did not get the Electronics Package...I got the Shaker 1000 instead. Microsoft Sync controls the whole iPod thing. You don't need the electronics package to do that. Even cooler than connecting your iPod to the car, I put all my music on an 8 GB USB Jump Drive, plugged it into the USB port in the console, and now everything is indexed in my stereo! Microsoft Sync controls all of it. I can scan through by Artist, Album, Song Title, etc. It's REALLY COOL. I'm happy I didn't get the Electronics Package cuz all you get for $2200.00 is a screen, useless navigation, and a 10 GB hard drive. All the cool stuff is controlled by Microsoft Sync which comes with ALL 2010 Shelbys regardless of options.

wish I had HIDs but wasnt going to wait around on my order that may never get filled. have heard yes and no on whether or not the dealerships can just swap them out.

I've been told POINT BLANK by 2 aftermarket guys at 2 different dealerships that they checked with Ford, and YES, they can swap out the lights. They just can't get the parts quite yet. Probably in a month or two. Both sources are trustworthy.

I've been told POINT BLANK by 2 aftermarket guys at 2 different dealerships that they checked with Ford, and YES, they can swap out the lights. They just can't get the parts quite yet. Probably in a month or two. Both sources are trustworthy.

It's going to be expensive though. I think all the parts required come in at about $1500. I'm not sure if that number was dealer cost of retail.

wish I had HIDs but wasnt going to wait around on my order that may never get filled. have heard yes and no on whether or not the dealerships can just swap them out.

Yes, they can be swapped out. I spoke with a member of the design team at the Chicago Auto show and asked that questions. He said yes, they can be swapped out. The only caution he threw out there was that if they are swapped out, the window sticker, build sheet, etc. will not show the HID's. Not sure that's a big deal though. Not sure yet how collectable these cars will become, but I'm buying to drive it :shift: not to decorate my garage

Both quotes were for $800.00 (includes parts and labor). Whoever told you $1500.00 is rippin' you off. Where did you come up with that figure?

Yeah, it's only a $525 option. Worst case I'd guess it'll be $525 for the parts, plus labor to install. $800 seems reasonable, $1,500 is a rip off!

Both quotes were for $800.00 (includes parts and labor). Whoever told you $1500.00 is rippin' you off. Where did you come up with that figure?

It was posted on another site. I already have the HIDs so I'm good.

Archived