TEAM SHELBY FORUM

40th Anniversary Conversion

You can do one of the other packages on an 08 (like the SE) but te 07 was the actual 40th anniversary of the GT500 and therefore the package is only available on the 07. I don't believe you can make changes like wheel choice on the SE package, I know you can't on the 40th.

Interesting. I did some history research and from what I was able to gather, 1968 was when Ford had entered a contract with Carrol and started mass producing prior year 1967 Shelby GT500's (special project). Basically, 1967 was the 1st yr Carroll Shelby produced GT500's and 1968 was the 1st Ford mass produced GT500.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting. I did some history research and from what I was able to gather, 1968 was when Ford had entered a contract with Carrol and started mass producing prior year 1967 Shelby GT500's (special project). Basically, 1967 was the 1st yr Carroll Shelby produced GT500's and 1968 was the 1st Ford mass produced GT500.

You got it. And 1968 was the first GT500KR, hence the 40th anniversary of the KR with the 08 model.

I have been thinking heavily abouth the 40th but I really do not want stripes and I have already done alot of stuff to my vert that would just be redone the same way. I would like that CSM # but I think it won't happen. I was just talking with Steve Mansell the other day and he told me about the plaque thing. I didn't know about that. He also said each mod shop has their own series of numbers out of the 500.

This is the mod I'd do to my '07, if any at all! I'd probably prefer to keep my White stripes though...

Though I still feel my '07 is a "40th" just as it sits ;o)

Keith

.................but the silver looks FANTASTIC on the Torch Red. Do it, you won't be sorry.

Although many will disagree, there is no law stating that you can’t change the wheels or stripe color post-modification, this is what I intend to do (even though it pains me). I’ll keep the “take-offs” in storage (just in case) as I’m not crazy about the silver on a black car and I DON’T like razors but what I DO like is the fact that it will have a CSM#, that they’re not doing more than 500 of them AND I can do any power mods to it without affecting the pedigree. Besides, it can be put back to original specs if a future buyer demands it. I had planned to do a SS but this whole Obama/brain-dead-congress thing got me spooked but again now I have some flexibility so I’ll piece-meal the mods until I get it to where it needs to be. BTW I believe that only the items that are being installed in the base package need to be brought back to a stock condition to do the package in other words, if you change out the fuel door or shifter it would be a non-issue……not sure, just believe that’s the case. Give SAI a call and see.

Oh yea, Tasca only makes sense coming out of Va. I had thought about draggin her all the way to Vegas but I decided it just doesn’t make good money sense to do so especially since Tasca is synonymous with performance (you know home of the Cobra Jet and all that). When are you expecting to make the move?

Just back from vacation. You asked when do I expect to have the upgrade done? At the moment I'm waiting on the government to renew my contract. If that happens, it will be in the next 2-3 months. If the contract doesn't come through, who knows... maybe never.

Come on DoD !

Although many will disagree, there is no law stating that you can’t change the wheels or stripe color post-modification, this is what I intend to do (even though it pains me). I’ll keep the “take-offs” in storage (just in case) as I’m not crazy about the silver on a black car and I DON’T like razors but what I DO like is the fact that it will have a CSM#, that they’re not doing more than 500 of them AND I can do any power mods to it without affecting the pedigree. Besides, it can be put back to original specs if a future buyer demands it. I had planned to do a SS but this whole Obama/brain-dead-congress thing got me spooked but again now I have some flexibility so I’ll piece-meal the mods until I get it to where it needs to be. BTW I believe that only the items that are being installed in the base package need to be brought back to a stock condition to do the package in other words, if you change out the fuel door or shifter it would be a non-issue……not sure, just believe that’s the case. Give SAI a call and see.

When I ordered mine the biggest concern I had was the stripe color. I finally decided I could always change it back to white if I wanted.

After seeing the silver I loved it, for now... Of course if I went back to white I would have the only white stripe 40th around.

I have been thinking heavily abouth the 40th but I really do not want stripes and I have already done alot of stuff to my vert that would just be redone the same way. I would like that CSM # but I think it won't happen. I was just talking with Steve Mansell the other day and he told me about the plaque thing. I didn't know about that. He also said each mod shop has their own series of numbers out of the 500.

Performance white with Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS) look pretty sexy.

Performance white with Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes (SSSSS) look pretty sexy.

Does look nice. Now if you could get a Super Snake in that color you would have a

Special Shelby Satin Silver Stripes Super Snake (SSSSSSS)

Oh yea, Tasca only makes sense coming out of Va. I had thought about draggin her all the way to Vegas but I decided it just doesn’t make good money sense to do so especially since Tasca is synonymous with performance (you know home of the Cobra Jet and all that). When are you expecting to make the move?

Sorry for the delay. I was on vacation last week.

You asked, when do I expect to make the move....

Right now I'm waiting on the government (DoD) to renew my contract. When that happens then I'll plan on 2 to 3 months out (early Nov). If they don't renew my contract then I won't be doing anything to my GT500 for a long time.

Come on DoD!

In the mean time I have to take it to the shop to see if they can figure out why the entire car starts shaking in 5th gear (6th as well).

I'll let you know what happens.

Sorry for the delay. I was on vacation last week.

You asked, when do I expect to make the move....

Right now I'm waiting on the government (DoD) to renew my contract. When that happens then I'll plan on 2 to 3 months out (early Nov). If they don't renew my contract then I won't be doing anything to my GT500 for a long time.

Come on DoD!

In the mean time I have to take it to the shop to see if they can figure out why the entire car starts shaking in 5th gear (6th as well).

I'll let you know what happens.

Are you at Ft. Lee? Since they are part of BRAC they will be a gaining installation so hopefully you’ll get the contract if not (and assuming that you are a contract employee/not the owner) I would think that the incoming company would hire you since you know the job. I am a DA civilian NOT going to Lee with the Ordnance Center and School. At any rate I wish you luck and hope you can swing the conversion for your car. BTW, you should go to “Tasca Day” on the 12th it’s a great show and it would be a good opportunity to check them out.

When I ordered mine the biggest concern I had was the stripe color. I finally decided I could always change it back to white if I wanted.

After seeing the silver I loved it, for now... Of course if I went back to white I would have the only white stripe 40th around.

Actually you would be the second with white stripes, the prototype 40th owned by CS was the first and only that came with white stripes. That car was auctioned off at BJ Scottsdale. A TS member here on the forum owns that car.

Mark

Actually you would be the second with white stripes, the prototype 40th owned by CS was the first and only that came with white stripes. That car was auctioned off at BJ Scottsdale. A TS member here on the forum owns that car.

Mark

Here she is boys and girls. She is owned by one of our members in Oklahoma. He is the third owner, the first was Mr. Shelby himself.

Prototype_11.jpg

Prototype_3.jpg

Mark

Now that is cool. I didn't know there was one owned by CS. I guess I'll have to settle for the only Torch Red White stripe 40th. ;)

Does this one have a CSM number? Frank's has CSM xxxxx or something like that as it was a prototype. I still think they should have allowed the option to keep your original strips.

Good question - didn't get close enough to check. Maybe I'll think of it at the next Vegas bash in January.

• 1 month later...

For all that have followed this topic of whether the 40th conversion is worth it or not this is long over due. Is it worth doing the conversion? You will have to equated it for yourself. After much deliberation and research I elected to take a less expensive route.

While trying to resolve the problem I was having with violent shaking in 5th gear (see Shelby GT500 Modifications and Tech), a proposition was made by the dealer fixing my car. They could apply any performance mod configuration I wanted without losing my warranty. Long story short... here is what I had done.

Ford Racing mufflers

Ford Racing suspension (stage II)

Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter

Ford Racing twin-screw Super Charger & Cold Air Intake

I realize that the 40th would have been very nice to have, but I decided I wanted power more than the 40th. Tuned at 640hp, I'm a very happy GT500 owner.

Thanks to all for sharing. Especially Torch40

Wilson

post-25908-1257197647_thumb.jpg

post-25908-1257197647_thumb.jpg

For all that have followed this topic of whether the 40th conversion is worth it or not this is long over due. Is it worth doing the conversion? You will have to equated it for yourself. After much deliberation and research I elected to take a less expensive route.

While trying to resolve the problem I was having with violent shaking in 5th gear (see Shelby GT500 Modifications and Tech), a proposition was made by the dealer fixing my car. They could apply any performance mod configuration I wanted without losing my warranty. Long story short... here is what I had done.

Ford Racing mufflers

Ford Racing suspension (stage II)

Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter

Ford Racing twin-screw Super Charger & Cold Air Intake

I realize that the 40th would have been very nice to have, but I decided I wanted power more than the 40th. Tuned at 640hp, I'm a very happy GT500 owner.

Thanks to all for sharing. Especially Torch40

Wilson

I was wondering what you decided. You can never go wrong with more horsepower! Enjoy all those new ponies.

Andy

MORE POWER ?? Absolutely :shift:

That's my problem.. which should come first power or 40th? I guess your advice is the best approach. My fear is that I will never get the car paid off in time, before there is no gas available (total electric cars) that will justify upgrading the supercharger.

Time to have a yard sale? :dance:

I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks,

Wilson

When my '07 was in for SS conversion they put all the 40th badging on... Best of both worlds!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here she is boys and girls. She is owned by one of our members in Oklahoma. He is the third owner, the first was Mr. Shelby himself.

Don,

Is this the one that was raffled off originally by Shelby? If so, I just happen to be there at SAI the day they presented it to the reffle winner.

Prototype_11.jpg

Prototype_3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I say do it while you can. I have already voted with my wallet so of course I think it is worth the $12k. I did it because I thought my vert was just to plain looking in stock form. No stripes, etc. I did have a chance to look at a 40th car first before making this decision. That was what pushed me over to having it done. The badging, wheels, silver stripes, etc. look great! You can do the performance upgrades later if you have to and it make it fun to upgrade over time.

i am having my 40th edition done at Tasca. The only problem I am having is deciding which wheel looks best on an ebony coupe. i like the black but after seeing the silver on your vert i am thinking of changing my mind. are those anthracite or gunmetal? good luck i hope mine looks as good as yours.

i am having my 40th edition done at Tasca. The only problem I am having is deciding which wheel looks best on an ebony coupe. i like the black but after seeing the silver on your vert i am thinking of changing my mind. are those anthracite or gunmetal? good luck i hope mine looks as good as yours.

Congrats on your choice yahoo.gif . These 40th are amazing Shelbys.

Oh, Bob's 40th looks even better in person.

Thanks Dan. bad4d go for the silver. The color is actually called silver and matches the stripes. The anthracite or gunmetal is more of a gray.

Here is a pic with mine and Torch40's cars. His has the chrome wheels. The pic make the side stripes look darker than they are. The silver wheels match the stripes perfectly.

P1000421.jpg

You can also click on my signature pics. Good luck choosin. The 40th's are awesome you will love it.

Archived