TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GTH Paxton SC SAI Install

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic.

The car looks great. Don't polish it and leave it in the garage. DRIVE IT. :shift:

Enjoy.........Philip

Thanks & I hear you. It is not a garage queen. I can't have the renters drive it more than I. I want to enjoy it. Only a few more days. Plan on taking the tour Friday morning when I pick the car up. I will be the one smiling from ear to ear in the web cam. To that end, I will polish and drive. :happy feet:

Thanks & I hear you. It is not a garage queen. I can't have the renters drive it more than I. I want to enjoy it. Only a few more days. Plan on taking the tour Friday morning when I pick the car up. I will be the one smiling from ear to ear in the web cam. To that end, I will polish and drive. :happy feet:

Congrats !!! looks awesome enjoy

Andrew

Harold- How many hours?

I am also excited, hope to get a ride soon. I always wondered what my GT/SC would be like with a automatic like my GTH soon I will know.

I also have a gift for you from my son

Shelbyguy

Well, not sure how long. Bud informed me that they are waiting for the tuner from Paxton. Was to be here today. It did not show. They are hoping tomorrow. I am scheduled to fly out tomorow evening. If it does not show, I will need to make a decission on the trip as I have non refundable comitment by then. No flight scheduled for a return trip. Keeping fingers crossed.

Well I am back with the GTH. After I drove it from SAI down to the Apex exit and back just to get a feel, I came back with holly sh#@ and a huge smile. :happy feet: Just ask Bud & Roger. The car is awesome. Here is my opinion!

Since I do not track the car and really do not race, the Paxton seems to be perfect for my driving style. While normal driving, the car performs much like its NA roots. No bost is registered on the gauge. From the seat, it sems to be a bit more peppy. This may be a result of Shelby having a local speed shop tweak the Paxton tune since with the GT 500 fuel pump it was running a bit rich. It also seems to have a throatier exhaust tone imo.

Once you puch it, the Paxton spools up and the car lunches. Even at 35 and then punch it, the tires will not hold. The shifts seem solid. I have not driven another auto or stick Paxton to compare. I intend to take it to an open area to see how she reacts and learn how to handle the beast.

The factory "Super Charged" plate was placed on the passenger side shock tower. That seems to be where SAI is putting the Paxton ones. The rest are on the opposite side of the CSM # on the radiator support. The GTH SC certificate will be mailed. I did not change my side stripes.

The only concern I have at this time is a smell of gas on occassion. It seems to occur most often when I am at 3/4 full. I checked when I first smelled it and there appears to be no fuel leak. I am going to take the back seat out and check the fuel pump since I smell it inside. It is only for a moment. This was not noticed until I drove the car to the strip from SAI Friday after picking up the car. That was the first time I smelled it. My test drive we never smelled it. The strip is about 20 miles from SAI and I filled her up at the gas station just south of SAI on the 15. It is not constant and is very brief. I will contact Bud on Monday and see what he thinks. I did speak to Roger on Saturday briefly about it. He said that he has this with his car after filling up. I have never had a smell of gas and it does not occur after I fill it up.

The fuel pressure gauge stays around what I think is about 36-38 psi except for when I start it up it jumps past 40 psi for a second or so. When I shut the car off it sits at 40 psi until I start it up and then it zero's and jumps back up. I asume this is normal.

All an all, the car is awesome and the heritage with the Paxton and not losing the strut brace or cutting the hood was important too me. :shift:

Congrats Harald! Sounds perfect to me.

The fuel pressure readings you're getting are good. After you shut it down, the fuel system is still pressurized, hence the 40 psi.

Upon startup, the gauge is just calibrating back to zero for a moment, then to the actual reading. As for the fuel smell, the pump is the first place I'd look.

If you find nothing there, you may want to have them double check the tune. Good luck!

Ken

Thanks all. I will psot some pictures when I get a chance. I still need to pull the back seat and check the pump. Could not locate the releases. I did just a brief look. Roger and Bud are following up with the shop foreman on the intermitent smell.

Harald

Congrats on getting your car back home.

My opinion if the fuel smell was coming from the fuel pump/gas tank you would be smelling it all the time.

The odds are the fuel smell is coming from the engine compartment into the car from the HVAC system. The fresh air intake is in the cowl so any fuel vapors are easily sucked into the cabin.

I'm guessing some fitting is leaking only at the higher fuel pressure while under boost. It may take a little time for you to smell the fuel so its very possible that you will smell fuel during normal driving. What I'm trying to say is just don't expect to smell fuel right when you go into boost. It may need time to weep out, evaporate into a vapor, then get sucked in to the cabin fresh air.

Perhaps find a quiet area where you can get on the boost several times and be able to immediately pull over and check engine compartment fittings for any dampness.

Steve

Harald

Congrats on getting your car back home.

My opinion if the fuel smell was coming from the fuel pump/gas tank you would be smelling it all the time.

The odds are the fuel smell is coming from the engine compartment into the car from the HVAC system. The fresh air intake is in the cowl so any fuel vapors are easily sucked into the cabin.

I'm guessing some fitting is leaking only at the higher fuel pressure while under boost. It may take a little time for you to smell the fuel so its very possible that you will smell fuel during normal driving. What I'm trying to say is just don't expect to smell fuel right when you go into boost. It may need time to weep out, evaporate into a vapor, then get sucked in to the cabin fresh air.

Perhaps find a quiet area where you can get on the boost several times and be able to immediately pull over and check engine compartment fittings for any dampness.

Steve

Thanks Steve for your thoughts. During my drive home I was not registering any boost. No heavy foot. The fuel pressure gauge holds at about 36-38 after I shut the car off and stays there. I must assume no leak. I also agree that if it was the pump I would smell it always. Still neeed to pull the seat and check for piece of mind. It is very strange. It may need to go to a shop to check the tune. I will wait to see what SAI says. Other than that the cars runs great.

Today I pulled the the back seat and checked the fuel pump. Thanks Shelby Guy for showing me. Once I removed the rubber cover, it was wet. I beleive this is the cause of the smell. Any suggestions for un-doing the retainer and do I get a new O-ring or reseat the existing? This is GT 500 fuel pump.

The fuel pressure gauge holds at about 36-38 after I shut the car off and stays there.

Other than that the cars runs great.

I assume you have the dash pod gauge housing with the Shelby gauges?

Right now my pressure is reading 35# and stays there until next start up. If I punch it and shut-down, it'll stay at 50 or 60! That is normal. I would take that for proof that you have no leaks. Mine will stay up for weeks.

Please post pics as soon as possible.

Congratulations, again!

Dan

Here is a link to the instructions for installing your fuel pumps. FUEL PUMP INSTALL

If the O-ring is not visibly damaged when you remove it, go ahead and reuse it. Be careful with the gas and remember to use a brass punch on the locking ring so you do not create any sparks.

Thanks for the tec sheet. It seems that my O-ring may not be seated. It also appears that I may need a new one with a new locking ring even though it is a new fuel pump. I will check with Bud on Monday and see what they recommend.

Thanks for the tec sheet. It seems that my O-ring may not be seated. It also appears that I may need a new one with a new locking ring even though it is a new fuel pump. I will check with Bud on Monday and see what they recommend.

I will also check with Craig first thing this morning too :)

Bud

Looks good Harald, Are you going to have it dynoed anytime soon? If so let me know the results, which novi did they install? 2200?

thanks,

Steve

I will have it dynoed some time in the future and based on that, consider a retune if necessary and post. It is not a priority as it has much more power that it did before and seems to be much more peppy even when not under boost. SAI had a speed shop tweak it since it has the GT500 fuel pump and the Paxton tune would run rich. They installed the Novi 1200 which has the oil line. It is number # 66 according to the CS plate on the head.

I will have it dynoed some time in the future and based on that, consider a retune if necessary and post. It is not a priority as it has much more power that it did before and seems to be much more peppy even when not under boost. SAI had a speed shop tweak it since it has the GT500 fuel pump and the Paxton tune would run rich. They installed the Novi 1200 which has the oil line. It is number # 66 according to the CS plate on the head.

Harald, Did you get the fuel pump problem fixed?

Steve

Harald, Did you get the fuel pump problem fixed?

Steve

I took it to Ford this morning per Shelby recommendation. New o-ring and retainer was installed. The old retainer was not seated. I will take it for a cruise this weekend. SAI was on it and sent the parts overnight.

10/25, Filled that car up and drove 32 miles today, No smell. :happy feet: Good sign!

• 6 months later...

Archived