TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Shelby Blower

denohew

Hey Guys, I am new here. Just got my Kona blue/ silver striped car down here in south Texas. I have owned a lot of cars including a Ford GT, Porsches, CL65 AMG Mercedes etc.. I have a question: When I first got my 2010 Shelby, and I meen I grabbed it right off the transport, the blower was not working?? My question is, How is that even possible? I meen the belt is turning but no boost. I went around the block and straight back to the dealership to get an explanation. Everybody was scratching there heads telling me " I have no idea why ". Anyway an attentive mechanic found a memo on his computer that told him you had to drive the car at least 5 miles to "activate" the blower! So I left and drove 5 miles and walla the blower started blowing!? How is that even possible? I don't think blowers have waste gates or anyway to divert air from it!? Now another question: How do you deactivate the blower if let's just say you let the wife or a valet drive it? Gotta be a way?? But first how does Ford disable it in the first place? I am a little confused! Thanks for any input, Denohew

As with most superchargers there is a bypass valve that allows the air to be recirulated back into the blower or out to the atmosphere. I havnt looked to far into the setup on the '10s but I believe they must have a electrically controlled bypass valve. The programming must be setup that they valve stays open until the 5 miles is reached. Same thing for valet mode, the bypass valve is full open to reduce the amount of boost that can build up.

Zeindog, well said.

Essentially, it takes 5-7 miles of CONTINUOUS driving for the computer to allow boost to build; until this time it is bypassed in the same manner as when you close the throttle after boost. The car is also restricted to 4k rpm or less at the same time. Why? To prevent folks at the assembly plant/transport companies/dealerships from having "fun" with our cars prior to us receiving them. It does not occur again unless you want it to in "Valet" mode. As for me, no Valet will ever be behind the wheel of this car, so I'm not worried about it.

Drove me bat crap on the way home from the dealership.

Zeindog, well said.

Essentially, it takes 5-7 miles of CONTINUOUS driving for the computer to allow boost to build; until this time it is bypassed in the same manner as when you close the throttle after boost. The car is also restricted to 4k rpm or less at the same time. Why? To prevent folks at the assembly plant/transport companies/dealerships from having "fun" with our cars prior to us receiving them. It does not occur again unless you want it to in "Valet" mode. As for me, no Valet will ever be behind the wheel of this car, so I'm not worried about it.

I did not see a "valet mode" mentioned in the manual. Can you explain how it can be applied?

Thanks

Zeindog, well said.

I thought valet mode only locks the navi/sync system from changes and has nothing to do with the blower? I think only an aftermarket tune can be utilized to toggle this feature on/on for the Eaton.

I believe you are right you have to have a "valet tune". There is nothing in the car that you can do to activate the bypass valve.

I thought valet mode only locks the navi/sync system from changes and has nothing to do with the blower? I think only an aftermarket tune can be utilized to toggle this feature on/on for the Eaton.

Thanks for the replies! I never plan to have a valet drive my car either! And it was an agonizing driving the new Shelby while taking the word from the dealer that it would eventually come on! But it did & then I smiled and was happy again. If anybody nows for sure if valet mode does in fact reduce horsepower please let us know! I have not had the time to get into it. I am still trying to figure out the entertainment system! I am not 16 anymore! denohew

Thanks for the replies! I never plan to have a valet drive my car either! And it was an agonizing driving the new Shelby while taking the word from the dealer that it would eventually come on! But it did & then I smiled and was happy again. If anybody nows for sure if valet mode does in fact reduce horsepower please let us know! I have not had the time to get into it. I am still trying to figure out the entertainment system! I am not 16 anymore! denohew

Guys, this feature dates back to the 2007 Shelby's.

Does anybody remember Mad Max when he hit a button and the blower comes on and he is in afterburner mode? Well back then it was all Hollywood but some how Ford has achieved this feat! Sorry about not knowing this but even my Ford GT did not do this when I rolled it out of the showroom. A bypass valve just for delivery? I guess if you ever lose boost you know where to start looking!! Thanks guys, denohew P.S. This really is one bad ass Stang!

Does anybody remember Mad Max when he hit a button and the blower comes on and he is in afterburner mode? Well back then it was all Hollywood but some how Ford has achieved this feat! Sorry about not knowing this but even my Ford GT did not do this when I rolled it out of the showroom. A bypass valve just for delivery? I guess if you ever lose boost you know where to start looking!! Thanks guys, denohew P.S. This really is one bad ass Stang!

Bypass valve has a real daily function. When you are driving at less than agressive driving, the bypass valve removes the load from the supercharger to reduce fuel consumption. Then when enough throttle is applied, the bypass closes, resulting in boost. Remove foot from gas, bypass opens and supercharger "freewheels".

I'm glad that ford did this with the blower software, becuase you know that the tech, salesguy... would take this out and "drive it like they stole it". I can recall back in 87 when I bought a new Grand National and seeing a car load of tech's coming back from their lunch in my car and having the balls to tell me " man this thing is fast".

I actually have "Valet mode" on my 2010...

Here is how it works: I arrive with my brother-in-law at his beach club in Atlantic Beach, LI... 17-year old with his tongue hanging out hands me a ticket and I ask him: Where do I park it? He replies: "No, we'll park it for you", and I reply: No, You didn't understand, WHERE DO I PARK IT... Then he caught on and had me park it right up front and -YES- I took my keys with me...

Ok so the milage is continuous from what I understand. So if the car is driven a few times under the 5-6 miles, say the tech drives it 3 times but only 3-4 miles per trip. Will the blower be activated? Or does it have to be 5-6 miles in one trip?

Also is the blower activation part of the standard PDI?

I asked my dealer about taking delivery without the PDI and he said my factory warranty would not be valid unless they did.

Oh, and the PDI should NOT activate it. PDI shouldn't have to drive it that far.

My car had 24 miles on it at delivery (and I was there to see it come off the truck).

Dealer did full PDI on it while I WATCHED. Then I drove it to gas it up with my salesman. And my blower was "off" and did not activate itself until I was halfway home (about 5 continuous miles). BOY, when it did I had the BIGGEST smile on my face...

Archived