TEAM SHELBY FORUM

best tires for the road course

For the road course guys, what tires are you running on the track? Which tires do you wish you were running?

What's the best street legal road course tire? What about track only tread? I've got a set of SVT rims ordered up from a guy that's getting his Cobra SuperSnaked in Vegas.

The rims and Brembos will be here in early October, so I'm planning on fitting them with the baddest track tires I can find.

I'm still cruising around in my brothers' GT500 for a few more days. I spent a couple of hours at a tire shop downtown today, getting his new Toyo RA1's mounted.

For a street legal tire, these things are ridiculous. So far, I haven't been able to break them loose. They are super sticky and hug the road like no other tire I've ever driven on. I know the guys at Griggs recommend these for the track, but I just wanted to see what everyone else suggests too.

Ken

ra1.jpg

i've heard the nt-05's are great great tires but they dont last long.other then those im not sure.

ps :lurk:

Thanks for the input. I've heard good reviews on those in the past as well.

Here are a few shots of the RA1's.

DSC07984.jpg

DSC07986.jpg

DSC07988.jpg

Hey man what do you know about the goodyear F1 supercar tires?

That's the same tire I'm running now dude. They're a MASSIVE improvement from the stock BFG's. Night and day for sure.

I definitely plan on hanging on to these tires for my stock bullitts. But after cruising on these Toyo's for the day, I'm sold on an even higher upgrade for the track days.

I don't think I'd run the RA1's on the street, just because of the seriously reduced tread life and big expense. Anyway, the F1's are great tires, IMO. Lots of people bag on them, but I'm not sure why. They're nearly perfect for everyday use and last long enough for the leaves to turn once or twice. ;)

Ken

Kahmann, seeing your tire thread this morning, I went back to my recent tire thread w/ same question and gathered up some info. My thread is at http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46352

Here's the list I've compiled so far. The numbers to the right of the tire makes / models are autocross times from a Grassroots Motorports test. Those w/out numbers were not included in the test, however they are tires which have also been recommended for track use by various people on this forum. I've also noted the treadwear ratings (aka UTOG ratings) for each tire.

Kumho ECSTA XS 34.541 180 Review

Yokohama Advan AD08 34.827 180 Review

Bridgestone RE-11 35.262 180

Toyo Proxes R1R 35.264 140 Review

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar – 220 rating except GT500KR model which is 180 rating– appears to be the best all around tire of choice based on what I’ve read

Nitto NT-05 (see review at http://www.corral.net/new/index.php/tech/4...t05-tire-review )

Cooper Zeon RS3 (the office tire of Roush Performance)

http://www.themustangnews.com/tech_08/1008...eon-rs3-181.htm

BF Goodrich R1 – treadwear 40! – these are more like slicks! But boy I bet they handle…

The Mustang Challenge series runs the BFG g-Force R1 in a 245/40/18 as a spec tire using the GT500 wheels. Yea, these tires work really well. The FR500S cars come really close to the same lap times as a Koni Series FR500C car with WAY less horse power. The main reason for this is in these tires. There is really no comparison in the way the BFG's stick vs. the Hoosiers on the Koni cars. I'm getting a bunch of take offs at our last race in Salt Lake next month to use as auto cross tires for my car next year. They will not work as well not being able to get them heated up like on a track, but they will do much better than my 20" BFG street tires I'm sure!

Kahmann, seeing your tire thread this morning, I went back to my recent tire thread w/ same question and gathered up some info. My thread is at http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46352

I dunno how I missed that thread man. :headscratch:

But thanks lots for the info! Lots of good stuff for sure.

Did your brother's car need tires before you got a hold of it for a couple of weeks?? :D

I think you already know the answer to that Dan! :lol:

The Mustang Challenge series runs the BFG g-Force R1 in a 245/40/18 as a spec tire using the GT500 wheels. Yea, these tires work really well. The FR500S cars come really close to the same lap times as a Koni Series FR500C car with WAY less horse power. The main reason for this is in these tires. There is really no comparison in the way the BFG's stick vs. the Hoosiers on the Koni cars. I'm getting a bunch of take offs at our last race in Salt Lake next month to use as auto cross tires for my car next year. They will not work as well not being able to get them heated up like on a track, but they will do much better than my 20" BFG street tires I'm sure!

I've never heard of the R1. I'll definitely check them out! Thanks guys for all the helpful info (except for you Dan - you're just a trouble maker)! :hysterical:

LOL! What I meant to say was, can I get you to borrow my car for a week or so??

Seriously though, I need to start shopping for some tires soon. I'm leaning towards the F1 supercars based on yours and others reviews. I have a set of 18 x10 /18 x9 bullits to put them on and keep the stock ones for the winter months. How are the F1's in the wet?

LOL! What I meant to say was, can I get you to borrow my car for a week or so??

Seriously though, I need to start shopping for some tires soon. I'm leaning towards the F1 supercars based on yours and others reviews. I have a set of 18 x10 /18 x9 bullits to put them on and keep the stock ones for the winter months. How are the F1's in the wet?

Just giving you a hard time Dan. ;)

The F1's are pretty good in the water actually, a lot better than the stock BFG's. For all around tread, the F1's are great, IMO.

For the track, they're lacking, but again still infinitely better than the stockers.

Ken

I'm running take off R1's from TC Motorsports only $150 for a set of 4-

Only 40 mins of track time per set so there just barely broke in :)

My second outing with them will be Wednesday at Pacific Raceway

I'm running take off R1's from TC Motorsports only $150 for a set of 4-

Only 40 mins of track time per set so there just barely broke in :)

My second outing with them will be Wednesday at Pacific Raceway

Say what? Wow, that's bananas. You and I need to talk. ;)

Ken

• 1 year later...

Hey Ken, Jeff, Kerry et al...

I thought I'd fire up this thread again and see where you all are with tires and wheels for the track. I sent you guys a PM but thought I'd open this thread up again so we can all share info.

Anyway, now that I finally have been able to enjoy my car again this year, I finally made it to the track this past weekend. Well, it wasn't really the track, it was an abandoned air field at the Quonset Air Base in RI. It was a little rough, but lots of fun and it got me totally back into the racing thing again. It was too late to do SCCA this year so I found several other outlets. I am planning on doing a track event at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway Oct 9 as long as I can get Tasca to figure out the front shaking I have in the car from a pothole last year just before I blew the engine. Plus, I really want to get a better set of tires so I am all ears.

So, I am looking for everyone's opinions. I need smaller/lighter wheels and sticky tires for autocross and road-course (and intercourse, but that's another story LOL).

I also need the wheel to fit over the BAER Extreme brakes (I eventually plan on getting the rear Extreme brakes too, but that's next year or later). I assume that 18" wheels are best as long as they fit over the brakes.

I love the look of Michael's (Wicked) GT wheels, but I care more about the function that the look.

So, please have at it. Please recommend to me the best (smallest, lightest) wheels and the stickiest tires. Please also recommend tire size and offsets. I'm also looking into suspension too such as the Griggs or Strano stuff, but I need to do things incrementally (ie financially)

Thanks in advance.

Just posted some GT 500 take offs with Hoosier R6's 275/35/18 front and 295/30/18 rear in the classified section Bought them used in June drove them to the track got one 5 laps session (go-kart track) it started to rain and I came home. The rest of the time they have been in my garage.

My link

My buddy recently scored some more sets of take off BFG R1's, (245/40X18) after the final Mustang Challenge in Utah a few weeks ago.- this will be available in about a week or two. This opportunity won't happen again since the Utah race was the final race ever.

Local pick up only $300 for a set of 4

My buddy recently scored some more sets of take off BFG R1's, (245/40X18) after the final Mustang Challenge in Utah a few weeks ago.

Local pick up only $300 for a set of 4

Is there a cost to ship to, say, San Diego or is it local pickup only?

Jim

Is there a cost to ship to, say, San Diego or is it local pickup only?

Jim

Not interested in messing with shipping-

Send someone by and we'll hook'um up with a set

• 7 months later...

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar – 220 rating except GT500KR model which is 180 rating– appears to be the best all around tire of choice based on what I've read

A few months back I bought two sets of New left over KR tires. Gary Patterson told me they were awesome for the track. I see the rating is 180 which is pretty soft. I am debating on whether I want to put these on for TRACK ONLY use or if I should spend some cash for even better track tires? Or should I save these KR tires for the street? I only paid $100 per tire so I got them next to nothing and I do have 2 sets. I am leaning towards putting them on my track rims and then I will have still have an extra set.

If someone has taken these KR eagle F1 tires on the track how well did they work for you? I know Ken said that he has the Goodyear Eagle F1 supercars tires and that they work well so I would assume the KR Eagle F1's would be better.

I also am running on the street the Goodyear Eagle F1's that were GT500 takeoffs and and I love them alot for the street so I am sort of double thinking that maybe the KR tires would best be saved for street use.

For two years, I ran the Goodyear Supercar tires (GT500 take offs) on the track. I purposely did that on the advice from my driving instructor so that I could gain driving skill with non-track tires so I did not over extend myself on the track (you can get way in over your head with track tires if you do not have the driving skill to match the tires). It was good advice. The fact of the matter is that the Goodyear Supercar tires, KR or otherwise, are as good for the track as any street tire. Others are certainly their equal for "street tires on the track" application and much depends on personal preference. If you want to perform well, get track tires and have them heat cycled before mounting them (both Tire Rack and Discount Tires Direct offer that service for $15 per tire). The difference between street tires and track tires is profound, particularly if you have plenty of track time on street tires under your belt. I still have tons to learn on the track driving skill wise, but, this past weekend, I had the car, with track tires, on a track I had last been on two years ago with street tires. The difference with the track tires made the experience super enjoyable. You are going to pay $1100 for a set of track tires, heat cycled, mounted and balanced so they are not cheap. With a wear index of 100 (which is typical) they will not last nearly as long as the Supercar tires but that is the reality of track tires. Good luck with all this.

Jim

I am never going to live down that spin, am I? If they were not slicks before you took the car out at the 2011 Bash, they sure as heck were when you got done. :hysterical: Hope we have another Bash in 2012 so you can try the car with the track tires.

Jim

I can't imagine ever going back to street tires on the track. The Supercars are decent for the price, but they howl like all hell around the corners and inhibit half the power your car is capable of putting down.

Jim is right though, they're great to learn on, so that you're better prepared to handle the awesome difference that a real track tire provides. Sorry Chad, I don't have any experience with the KR compound Supercars, but I've heard that they're definitely better than the (old) standard F1's. Good luck man.

Is it me or do they seem narrow?

Chad....I would get some wide rubber for that bad boy....with your driving style and the HP you have you will like W I D E thats my 2 cents...

D man and I call you "the drifter" haha :hysterical::superhero:

Archived