TEAM SHELBY FORUM

LASAAC Track Day - Willow Springs big track - Monday, August 24th

elwoodboll

Greetings all. We're trying to gauge interest in an open track date out at Willow on Monday, August 24th. Willow is offering an August special on weekday rentals that is pretty attractive so we’re hoping to have a second event this year if there’s interest. We've locked in to running the big track on the 24th if we can get enough people to commit. Pricing would be around $120 for the day and we'll limit attendance to just 20 to 25 cars (how's that for track time?!?!). Yes it will be hot but your windows will be down!

We need to make the decision ASAP on whether we move forward with this so if you can commit, please reply to this thread ASAP. I sent an email out earlier today to our club mailing list so if you've already replied to that, thanks. If there’s sufficient interest, I will be in touch with more details.

Chris

I just made this forum a sticky for you C.

E.

Yes, I recieved your email about this event, I did not respond via email, If there is no major fubars in my work projects, I will be there, as usally when I plan on something during the week, something always has to be done right now and mess up the plans, so far I will go, Jim C will pay for me, Thanks Rick

Potty:

Trying to get firm numbers. Did you receive my email yesterday and were you one of the people who responded affirmatively?

Thanks.

Chris

I love it when a plan comes together!

We received a good response to our inquiry so we're on for August 24th. Registration, tech forms and more info can be found on our website, www.lasaac.org. If you are interested, please respond ASAP as we're limiting the car count to 25 and have only 4 or 5 spots remaining. Price is just $125!

This will be good!

post-19684-1250284192_thumb.jpg

post-19684-1250284203_thumb.jpg

post-19684-1250284192_thumb.jpg

post-19684-1250284203_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who signed up for Monday’s track day. For all those who haven’t yet sent their registration and tech forms, just bring them along Monday (forms can be found on our website - www.lasaac.org). The schedule for Monday is:

8:00 am – tech

8:30 am – drivers meeting

9:00 am – on track

5:00 pm – quittin’ time

We’ll have a few ace instructors available if anyone is interested.

Current forecast for Monday is for temps around 92 degrees. As always, bring lots of water, sunscreen and shade of some form.

Chris

Hey Guy's, how many people are coming?

Jason, as of last Tuesday's meeting, there were only 4 spaces left open. If those spots are still open, that means about 21 cars/drivers are signed up.

We have 23 firm commitments and 2 others that are maybes. We obviously wouldn't turn anyone away that comes out.

As far as I know, snack bar will be open and race fuel will be available.

I wish I had known about this earlier, I would have brought a hospitatlity booth out.

Please accept my heartfelt thank you for Monday. It was a great day in general but I wanted to share a slice of it that was especially meaningful to me.

My 21 year old son, Matt, was with me as he was in May. Most of you know that he spun the car out pretty violently (in his experience) in turns 3 and 4 and he was upset about it. I thought he was upset with himself. Seems a big part of it was he was embarassed to have made such an error in front of all of you. He holds all of you in high regard because you were so good to him in May; sharing information and, generally, accepting him as one of your own.

There were a number of you who took a moment and got with Matt and got his head right. He is one of those kids with a standard of excellence that is pretty high and he sees all of you as just like that. So he was kicking himself pretty hard. He is not old enough to appreciate that all of you are what you are at the track because of years and years of experience.

There are times when a Dad is just not going to reach a son but you all stepped up and took care of it and did so in a way that allowed Matt to "get it." He got back in the saddle and made it his day's work to master the line on 3 and 4.

He also learned a life lesson about sharing your experience with others, as you all have done. He said a couple of times that it was new to him for "guys like that" to have it be important to them to share what they know.

I think many of you who give so much so often kind of forget what your kindness can mean to others. Thanks for letting me remind you.

Jim

Jim, it was great to see you and your son out at the track. Your comments are heartfelt to those of us who are also fathers. I have a photograph on the wall in my office of my son, 17 years ago when he was 6 years old, standing next to my car with a helmet in his hand and a big smile on his face.

Michael had just gotten out of my 1963 Falcon road racer after a ride around Willow Springs at speed, back when we did not have restrictions on passengers or age restrictions. When he was 16 years old he received his drivers license on a Friday and we had a track event that Saturday where he was running solo in his 1996 Saleen Mustang convertible. Not bad for a first car. He grew up at the track where he learned to RESPECT speed in a vehicle, in a controled and safe environment.

When Matt came in from the track I could see that he was upset with himself, that is to be expected. I guess what we didn't cover in the drivers meeting is that when you are learning your cars capabilities at speed you will reach the balance between the vehicles capabilities and your driving experience and lo and behold ...............surprise ............. the world begins to spin and your car gets dirty (or your dad's car)!

This is all part of the learning experience. I have driven more cars than I can remember at Willow Springs and for the first 15 years or so I was off track each and every time as I explored that balance of car vs. driver and the car wins.

I find the best thing to do when someone puts four wheels off is to talk to them immediately about what happened as part of their learning experience and while the incident is fresh in their mind. Matt began to visualize what happened as he approached Turn 3 and was then able to work out how the car took control and caused a harmless spin. This is all part of the learning experience and driving a performance car at speed takes experience.

Matt should be glad he didn't have to face you when he came in, my son was not as fortunate, when he put four wheels off in my car he had to face dear old dad.

You are both fortunate to be able to enjoy activities together as father and son and it looks like Matt has a great dad.

Randy,

Thanks for the insight. Great story about you and your son. In this modern world, there are few things that can span generations as can a muscle car. I look forward to many more events over the years and hope to have Matt with me for each.

When we got home and looked at the car, Matt said he could not remember ever seeing it that dirty, especially the wheels from all the brake dust. He smiled and I asked him why. He said he liked it when the car was show car ready but he liked it better when it came off the track and looked like it. Unknown to me, he had set the car's computer to tell him how many miles it was on the track. How does 147 sound?

I went though a lot of reflection before I ever put the car on the track. The car is my dream come true but, in the end, the reason I wanted one back in the 60's was because of what they were doing on the track. It was then I stopped worrying about what it looked like and started putting together a car that was capable of performing well on the track. As you all know better than I, most of those modifications are not visible to the casual observer but are sure "visible" when the rubber meets the track.

Jim

My 2007 Shelby Mustang GT has 20,000 miles on it. I have gone through two sets of the 18" factory tires, replaced the original 18" rims with a set of five spoke 20" with Nittos, wore the Nittos out and I am now on my fourth set of tires. I have replaced the brake pads four times and the rotors twice.

I have not touched anything else with over 10 open track events in 2 1/2 years. If all I have to do is replace tires and brakes to have fun I am not complaining. These Shelby's perform fantastically on the track and are very engaging to drive.

I have some small pitting, a couple of marks (battle wounds) on the front of my car but that is mostly from driving to Las Vegas and back. My car still looks good parked at a car show. If you own a Shelby you must track it!!!!

So Jim, I understand.

Randy

• 2 months later...
Yup that was me, Have you ever tried to see how fast you can take turn 9 in willow springs without lifting, I know now, I also will have 18's next time out there as the 20's do not grip as well. Rick

And, Rick, how fast can you take turn 9 without lifting? :D

Jim

Archived