TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Motor Trend Comparison

2sharpie

Nice find. I'm still a bit troubled, however, at the 1st - 2nd shift issue that many folks on this forum are experiencing and now even MT is seeing. I wonder if in their quest to get better gas mileage by updating the overdrive gears Tremec didn't screw something up with the 1-2 syncros. The editor mentions the tranny felt "...broken..."; geesh (which, incidentally, could be the case if it's a press car that has been thrashed). I haven't experienced this yet because I only have 200 miles so far, but I'll know if this is different from my 07' soon enough. If so, I would expect to see a TSB on this one fairly quick from Ford.

Joseph (FordGeek)

GT500 vs Hennessey vs Challenger............... some great new numbers for the GT500, and I still wouldnt buy that POS Camaro (however tweaked Hennesseys test car is this time)! And they still pick the Shelby as the winner.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...srt8/index.html

For the 10 grand differential in price you could stick on a KB, custom tune, and the same Pirelli's and the Shelby wins everything. Add the KR muffler and they even win the sound.

Another thing to keep in mind. The compression ratio on the SS engine is around 10.4:1 - not optimal at all for supercharging and not the same as the block found in the CTS-V or ZR-1 (they are both in the 9.0:1 range). By comparison the Shelby has a ratio of 8.4:1 and just begs for more than just 8 lbs. of boost. So, if you really think about it, Hennessey is probably running this thing at the absolute extreme to make sure he gets his media whore points. But, I can't imagine this power level under these compressions can be sustainable to the degree that he's willing to back it up with a 3 year/36000 mile warranty. My hunch is the "production" version that folks can actually buy will be detuned for reliability; hence why the dyno figures on this thing indicates 600+ hp at the crank. To be honest, I would debate a spontaneous race with a CTS-V more than any SS; Hennessy or otherwise. Especially if the CTS-V owner has gotten smart and is running closer to 15 lbs. of boost with an agressive toon. On engine that size it's pretty formidable.

Archived