TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OK Confess, who has put regular gas in their GT500 already

War Eagle

All of my other cars including my truck and the MKX use regular. I did not drive my Shelby very much so one weekend I accidentally pumped 1 or 2 gallons of regular in to the tank before I caught it. Finished it up with premium and had no problems. I felt like an absolute idiot, and sure hope I am not the only person that has ever done this.

Steve

Ooops...hehe. Some habits are hard to break, War Eagle. I can't say that I put regular gas in my car though. I always used the best in my previous car anyhow and if I use someone else's car I treat them with the good stuff too.

I will confess that I keep reaching to unscrew the gas cap however! LOL! Hmmm...imagine my surprise when there isn't one...still. HA!

I once put gasoline in a diesel truck, made it about 2 miles from the station before it quit. That was an expensive mistake.

Chris

I had a girlfriend that did the opposite. Diesel in a gas. I asked her how she got the nozzle into the tank, and she confirmed that it just rested on top and didn't go all the way in. I then told her that was supposed to be a fool proof way to not do exactly what she did, but............

I had a girlfriend that did the opposite. Diesel in a gas. I asked her how she got the nozzle into the tank, and she confirmed that it just rested on top and didn't go all the way in. I then told her that was supposed to be a fool proof way to not do exactly what she did, but............

What happened to the motor? Did it explode? :cry:

This was a girl that was a friend NOT a girlfriend, but I believe they just drained the tank, new filter, and an injector cleaner. The car never actually died. LOTS of smoke though. I think if was only a top off of diesel. It was funny too, because someone put a diesel only sticker on her car after that. Good times.

This was a girl that was a friend NOT a girlfriend, but I believe they just drained the tank, new filter, and an injector cleaner. The car never actually died. LOTS of smoke though. I think if was only a top off of diesel. It was funny too, because someone put a diesel only sticker on her car after that. Good times.

We have a big crane at work, and one of the not so bright employees did that. Put Diesel in it when it runs on gas. Boy did it smoke something aweful. Even better was his excuse for why he did it. He said cause it was a big truck he figured it had to be a diesel. LOL. Mind you he had started that truck many times and knows it has a Carb on it. LOL!! Thank god he doesnt work there any more.

I use super in everything. Cars, trucks, 4 wheelers, lawnmower, etc etc.

Always have, always will.

Even the auto manufacturers tell you, unless specifically req'd, your just wasting your money and won't have any bearing on how the vehicle runs...

Kinda like eggs, white vs. brown, want to know the difference (besides the stores only charging more for brown). White eggs come from white chickens, and brown eggs come from brown chickens, thats it. No health benefit.

So back to topic, use the minimum req'd per manufacturers instructions. So if you have a 2001 Honda Accord, super ain't gonna matter except lining the pockets of the oil companies...

Even the auto manufacturers tell you, unless specifically req'd, your just wasting your money and won't have any bearing on how the vehicle runs...

Kinda like eggs, white vs. brown, want to know the difference (besides the stores only charging more for brown). White eggs come from white chickens, and brown eggs come from brown chickens, thats it. No health benefit.

So back to topic, use the minimum req'd per manufacturers instructions. So if you have a 2001 Honda Accord, super ain't gonna matter except lining the pockets of the oil companies...

Amen,

I know all of you guys know this but the average car driver does not. Most people think that the higher the octane the "more powerful" the gas is and it is actually the opposite.

The higher the octane the more stable the fuel is under compression. It is a less volatile fuel than lower octane regular. It has to be that way so that the higher compression in the cylinder does not cause it to ignite before it should.

My sister had been putting super in her 4 cyl car and thought the Super was a better fuel and gave her car more power.

The same thing is true of aviation fuel. For years we had 80 octane which was great for our smaller engines, and radials, but they did away with it and now we only have 100 LL.

I ran the highest octane available in my GT500 but only regular in my other vehicles.

Steve

Yeah this one is going to get me also... :headscratch:

Definitely, Tdusseau! After doing something for 20 some years each time you stopped to fill up the gas tank...it's quite bizarre to have that step removed from the process! HA! Luckily...it's not something that other people will notice..but you'll feel like a dummy because you know what you just did! :P

I am sure this motor has a knock sensor or two correct? If this motor does have them then the mistake of a few gallons or even an entire tank will not be an issue. If the lower grade fuel is used and you start to get detonation the knock sensors will pick this up and reduce timing, fuel, boost? or what ever until the situation is corrected.

Is low octane fuel bad for this car...yes.. any higher compression car or force inducted motor for that matter.

But if you do make this mistake and it is more then a few gallons...the one thing you can do is just go easy on the gas. Try to stay out of boost and heavy load situations, until you can burn most of it off and get higher octane in the tank.

I did this several times with my Lightning. And I never had a problem.

And as for high octane not being needed...I have a 2009 Tahoe and I was told not to waste my money on high octane fuel. The computer will adjust to the fuel and you will see no gain. As for it being cleaner that I am not sure of. I know this, I had a 2007 Tahoe that I bought new 10miles and sold about a month ago with 88k. That thing ran like a top and I never put anything in the tank but 87 octane.

Archived