TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil for Mustang GT500

hoofit1948

I need to change the oil in my GT500. Ford specs a full synthetic 5W-50. Mobile and Castrol don't make it. Motocraft doesn't list it either! I contacted Ford customer service, they didn't have an answer! Anybody got a source?

Castrol does make it. It is available at Advance Auto parts if you have one in your area. I bought it there.

Castrol does not meet the ford specs, at least the last time I looked. The only oil that does is TropArctic-Synthetic 5W50. It meets the Ford Specs listed in the manual ( the code B) They must be the ones that supply Ford. I found a distributor in Ft Worth and ordered a case. Works out to about $5.00 a Qt.(case of 12 for $59.95)

Castrol does not meet the ford specs, at least the last time I looked. The only oil that does is TropArctic-Synthetic 5W50. It meets the Ford Specs listed in the manual ( the code B) They must be the ones that supply Ford. I found a distributor in Ft Worth and ordered a case. Works out to about $5.00 a Qt.(case of 12 for $59.95)

What is the discrepancy in the specs? Castrol is 5W-50 Full Synthetic.

My Dealer didn't carry the 5W50 Full Synthetic. In fact I couldn't find any Synthetic Oils that carried the Ford -B Spec. I needed the oil to store the Shelby so I bought Mobil 1 which doesn't claim any Ford spec. Just Viper, Vette.

I drove it home and parked it. Come Spring I'll dump it out and put in the Ford Synthetic ASAP.

Castrol claims Ford -A Spec, but not -B Sorry don't know the full blown Certification Code. Manual at home.

The Castrol synthetic meets the specs for the Ford GT but not the GT500. If you look in the manual it gives the oil and specs. The last letter is a B. Castrol 5w50 ends in an A for the Ford applications. Like I said TropArctic 5w50 Meets both A & B. It is made by Conoco/Phillips and Kendall Motor Oil.

The Castrol synthetic meets the specs for the Ford GT but not the GT500. If you look in the manual it gives the oil and specs. The last letter is a B. Castrol 5w50 ends in an A for the Ford applications. Like I said TropArctic 5w50 Meets both A & B. It is made by Conoco/Phillips and Kendall Motor Oil.

Exactly dsabldvt!

The Castrol Full Synthetic is Ford Rated......... WSS-M2C931-A

My Shelby Manual Recommends Only............ WSS-M2C931-B

How big of a difference is this? Will it matter??

I don't think it would matter, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't the same oil. I think Ford did it just to try to make more money by making you get your oil changed with them, although I don't think the dealers even have it. I spent hours on the internet until I found this oil. Like I said , it is the only one that meets the specs(thats why I think they probably provide the oil for Ford). TropArctic 5w50. I think its made by Conoco/Phillips. I looked on their web site for distributors and found one nearby and ordered a case of 12 for $59.95.

• 11 months later...

well its endorsed by horsepower tv and trucks on spike. and most race teams use it.

Tests Documenting Horsepower (hp) and / or Torque Gains:

D & D Performance Enterprises: hp gain of 1.2%, torque gain of 1.3%

Diesel World magazine: hp gain of 3.2%

Drag Sport magazine: hp gain of 3.2%, torque gain of 1.5%

GM High-Tech Performance magazine: hp gain of 5.2

GM High-Tech Performance magazine: In a separate test, hp gain of 10+, torque gain of nearly 12 ft-lbs

Horsepower TV: hp gain of 8, torque gain of 6 ft-lbs

Horsepower TV: In a separate test, hp gain of 2.9%

Hot Rod Magazine: hp gain of 2.5%, torque gain of 1.5%

Hot Rod Magazine: In a separate test, hp gain of 1.7%, torque gain of 2.0%

Hot Rod TV: hp gain of 2.5%, torque gain of 1.5%

Oklahoma State University: diesel engine gain of 2.8% hp

Performance Auto & Sound magazine: hp gain of 3.0%

Sport Truck magazine: gain of 13 hp

Sport Truck magazine: In a separate test, hp gain of 5%, torque gain of 12 lb-ft

Trucks! TV: torque gain as much as 3.5%

Tuner Performance Reports: hp gain of 1.8%

V8TV: hp gain of 2.0%

Tests Documenting Fuel Economy Improvements:

Diesel World: fuel economy gain of 10% or 1.7 mpg

fordtruckworld.com: fuel economy gain of 7.4% or 1.1 mpg

Hot Rod TV: fuel economy gain of 23.4% city & 28.8% highway

North Carolina State University: gasoline engine fuel economy gain of 2.5% to 5.0% and diesel engine fuel economy gain of 1.5% to 3.7%

Oklahoma State University: fuel economy gain of 4.4%

Test Documenting Reduced Engine Wear:

Insight Services: wear reduced by 80% and oil change intervals extended from once per race to every 3 races

Tests Documenting Reduced Engine Heat:

Longview Inspection: Max-Cycle reduced operating temperatures 24°F - 44°F

Top Dead Center TV: operating temperatures reduced 11°F

Trucks! TV: front differential temperature decreased 10°F, rear differential temperature decreased 8°F

Tests Documenting Reduced Emissions:

North Carolina State University: diesel engine emissions reduced 17%-34% and gasoline engine emissions reduced 29% (city) and 62% (highway)

Oklahoma State University: diesel engine emissions reduced 22%

Archived