TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Moving to Calgary

TRT 0403

It looks like I will have the opportunity to work in Calgary for a couple years. From what I've seen so far, it's a great place, very friendly people, fantastic countryside and I'm looking forward to the move.

The big question is...can I bring a Shelby with me? I've seen several theads where people talk about various restrictions on importing, but what I read today on the Canadian website says 2007 to 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 are admissible. Of course they also have the disclaimer:

"TRANSPORT CANADA OR THE REGISTRAR OF IMPORTED VEHICLES CANNOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS LIST. THE INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE."

Does anyone have any recent experience importing a GT500?

Hope I can link up with some other TS members around Alberta in the months to come.

It looks like I will have the opportunity to work in Calgary for a couple years. From what I've seen so far, it's a great place, very friendly people, fantastic countryside and I'm looking forward to the move.

The big question is...can I bring a Shelby with me? I've seen several theads where people talk about various restrictions on importing, but what I read today on the Canadian website says 2007 to 2010 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 are admissible. Of course they also have the disclaimer:

"TRANSPORT CANADA OR THE REGISTRAR OF IMPORTED VEHICLES CANNOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS LIST. THE INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE."

Hope I can link up with some other TS members around Alberta in the months to come.

To get you started, as I understand things, when importing US to CDN or CDN to US, you need to make sure the selected border crossing has all paper work before you even get there. You will likely cross at Sweetgrass on the way to Lethbridge. The biggest thing are the full-time Driving Lights. Don't know if you can get the CPU code to turn them on in the US or will have to wait when you are in Calgary and take it to a dealer there. Good Luck. You will love Calgary. It is similar to Denver.

Rick.

You'll be able to bring your 07 and 08 GT500 in no problem. As metioned, you'll need daytime running lights but this can be done simply. The Terlingua may be a little tricky. If you decide to bring this one, make sure when it is imported, it is imported as a Mustang. No mention of Shelby should be included on the forms. After all, it's really only a Mustang right ;).

QSS

Rick.

You'll be able to bring your 07 and 08 GT500 in no problem. As metioned, you'll need daytime running lights but this can be done simply. The Terlingua may be a little tricky. If you decide to bring this one, make sure when it is imported, it is imported as a Mustang. No mention of Shelby should be included on the forms. After all, it's really only a Mustang right ;).

QSS

Not sure I could convince them on the Terlingua, but I'll probably just bring the Vert. This isn't a permanent move so I'll still have a house in Houston as well and will need a daily driver there when I get home :-)...... and I have lots of good friends volunteering to take them out for me when I'm not around. :yahoo:

How much longer before you guys usually put them up for the winter?

I'll take care of the Shelbys here for ya :) We're gonna miss you around here Rick.

Sherri,

I've been missing the Tuesday night crowd :party2: for sure. Can't wait to see the new additions to the family. Fortunately I'll get back to Houston on a fairly regular basis so I'll still join in when I can. And who knows, we just might have a Texas function one of these days that will be worth taking vacation for.

When you swing by to get the Terlingua, remember it takes premium.

To get you started, as I understand things, when importing US to CDN or CDN to US, you need to make sure the selected border crossing has all paper work before you even get there. You will likely cross at Sweetgrass on the way to Lethbridge. The biggest thing are the full-time Driving Lights. Don't know if you can get the CPU code to turn them on in the US or will have to wait when you are in Calgary and take it to a dealer there. Good Luck. You will love Calgary. It is similar to Denver.

I've seen an aftermarket module that keeps them turned on. It looks pretty simple so I may take a shot at that. I haven't been missing the Texas heat while I've been here......but it may be a different story in January.

That depends on when the cold snow and cold hits... Usually from late Oct into Nov... El Nino could bring that into Dec even, specially in Calgary because of the chinooks...

Sherri,

I've been missing the Tuesday night crowd :party2: for sure. Can't wait to see the new additions to the family. Fortunately I'll get back to Houston on a fairly regular basis so I'll still join in when I can. And who knows, we just might have a Texas function one of these days that will be worth taking vacation for.

When you swing by to get the Terlingua, remember it takes premium.

Does this mean I get to take it out for a leg stretching huh huh huh pretty please huh huh huh :)

Not sure I could convince them on the Terlingua, but I'll probably just bring the Vert. This isn't a permanent move so I'll still have a house in Houston as well and will need a daily driver there when I get home :-)...... and I have lots of good friends volunteering to take them out for me when I'm not around. :yahoo:

Rick:

We will have to meet up when you move up here. Which company do you work for? ConocoPhillips? There are lots of Shelbys / Team Shelby members up here. The local Mustang club has functions every week.

Last fall I parked my Shelby in late October, but I could have driven it into November. I wouldn't really take it out again until May. It takes a while before they get all of the gravel / rock chips off the roads here in the spring.

There are guys here that have bought US cars and as Quick Silver stated, you will need to have the computer programmed for the daylight running lights at a dealer.

Cheers

Brett

Rick:

We will have to meet up when you move up here. Which company do you work for? ConocoPhillips? There are lots of Shelbys / Team Shelby members up here. The local Mustang club has functions every week.

Last fall I parked my Shelby in late October, but I could have driven it into November. I wouldn't really take it out again until May. It takes a while before they get all of the gravel / rock chips off the roads here in the spring.

There are guys here that have bought US cars and as Quick Silver stated, you will need to have the computer programmed for the daylight running lights at a dealer.

Cheers

Brett

Hey Brett,

Thanks for the info. You were close, I'm with Exxon. I hope I've got all the paperwork finished by the end of the month so I can get settled in. I may just wait until spring to bring my car up. I'll see what kind of parking I end up with.

I found the Alberta Mustangs Auto Club on the net. I assume there's only one club in Calgary. I'll try to make a meeting in the next couple months.

Hey Brett,

Thanks for the info. You were close, I'm with Exxon. I hope I've got all the paperwork finished by the end of the month so I can get settled in. I may just wait until spring to bring my car up. I'll see what kind of parking I end up with.

I found the Alberta Mustangs Auto Club on the net. I assume there's only one club in Calgary. I'll try to make a meeting in the next couple months.

Rick:

You are welcome. The number of companies with offices in both Calgary and Houston are shrinking so I guess I had not bad odds of guessing. I used to work for ConocoPhillips and Anadarko. Most recently Anadarko, but they pulled out of Canada for the second time in 2006. So now I'm with CNRL.

Yes, the Alberta Mustangs Auto Club is the one. If you PM me your e-mail address I can forward their newsletter to you if you would like. They do a great job of informing the members of all of the Calgary and area meets, show & shines, poker runs, etc. They meet up every Wednesday and have weekly events. I haven't been out much this year because I am with out my Shelby right now as you can see below. I am expecting my SS to be complete pretty soon. Some how the Lincoln LS didn't seem right for track night last week.

In the winter I park my Shelby with about 300 other cool cars in a secure wharehouse. The opperation is very class and he looks after most of the high end cars that live in Calgary and area.

Cheers

Brett

Rick:

You are welcome. The number of companies with offices in both Calgary and Houston are shrinking so I guess I had not bad odds of guessing. I used to work for ConocoPhillips and Anadarko. Most recently Anadarko, but they pulled out of Canada for the second time in 2006. So now I'm with CNRL.

Yes, the Alberta Mustangs Auto Club is the one. If you PM me your e-mail address I can forward their newsletter to you if you would like. They do a great job of informing the members of all of the Calgary and area meets, show & shines, poker runs, etc. They meet up every Wednesday and have weekly events. I haven't been out much this year because I am with out my Shelby right now as you can see below. I am expecting my SS to be complete pretty soon. Some how the Lincoln LS didn't seem right for track night last week.

In the winter I park my Shelby with about 300 other cool cars in a secure wharehouse. The opperation is very class and he looks after most of the high end cars that live in Calgary and area.

Cheers

Brett

Brett,

Thanks for the info. PM sent.

I hope I get to see your SS when you get her home.

Rick

Brett,

Thanks for the info. PM sent.

I hope I get to see your SS when you get her home.

Rick

No worries. We can get together and go for a spin. Shouldn't be too much longer. I sent you an e-mail with some info on winter storage.

Cheers

Brett

Archived