TEAM SHELBY FORUM

rims which is lighter? better looking?

alright people im coming up for tire change and i need to decide what rims i want. im at a cross roads i like the american racing 5 spoke shelby torque thrust. at the same time i also like the shelby cs56s. the question i put before you all is which is lighter. whats the weight for each rim, im looking at the 18 x 9.5 for the shelby cs56 and the 18 x 10 for the torque thrust(staggered fitment)

im concerned about weight. as such i feel that the American torque thrusts would be light but im not sure. another question i have is can you fit big brakes in them? i know the cs56 should be able to fit them but i dont know about the torque thrusts.

I know a guy here with the black 18 x 10 Shelby Torque Thrust M's on all 4 corners. The standard big brake kits come with 14" inch rotors and those wouldn't clear his wheels. He went with the 13" Wilwoods instead.

As for American Racing rims, none of them are 'light' as far as I know. Steeda makes an ultra-light rim. If you have $4k laying around, I'd go with the Jongbloeds in a heartbeat.

Ken

I know a guy here with the black 18 x 10 Shelby Torque Thrust M's on all 4 corners. The standard big brake kits come with 14" inch rotors and those wouldn't clear his wheels. He went with the 13" Wilwoods instead.

As for American Racing rims, none of them are 'light' as far as I know. Steeda makes an ultra-light rim. If you have $4k laying around, I'd go with the Jongbloeds in a heartbeat.

Ken

if i could afford the "youngbloods" i would jump a fence covered in razor wire and poison ivy for them. just can't do it right now. i can put together a wheel and tire package for 1700 using cs56 and nitto-555 extremes. i need something i can street for 15k-20k and still track.(tire wise)

since the big brakes wont fit the toraue thrusts i guess im going cs56's. go shelby for making products that actually work together :hysterical:

if i could afford the "youngbloods" i would jump a fence covered in razor wire and poison ivy for them. just can't do it right now. i can put together a wheel and tire package for 1700 using cs56 and nitto-555 extremes. i need something i can street for 15k-20k and still track.(tire wise)

since the big brakes wont fit the toraue thrusts i guess im going cs56's. go shelby for making products that actually work together :hysterical:

:lol:

I love CS56s, they will look great on your car.

I don't know about the Nittos though. They did not fair well in recent HiPo tire tests in the mags. I like Falken FK452s for handling, ride and wear. Also, Goodyear F1 Supercars also work.

I love CS56s, they will look great on your car.

I don't know about the Nittos though. They did not fair well in recent HiPo tire tests in the mags. I like Falken FK452s for handling, ride and wear. Also, Goodyear F1 Supercars also work.

well i need something with good tread wear as these will need to last me atleast 15k miles. after that 15k they can be dust for all i care

any suggestions? since i have heard nothing but bad things about the nitto's

well i need something with good tread wear as these will need to last me atleast 15k miles. after that 15k they can be dust for all i care

any suggestions? since i have heard nothing but bad things about the nitto's

F1 Supercars man. They're cheap right now on TireRack (less than $150/each) and they are a night/day upgrade from stock.

285/40/zr18 is the proper fitment correct? im concerned about getting the right side wall height, im a hallet kind of guy :shift:

I'd say a 285/35 is probably more like it, but I don't know for sure.

Best to call the Rack and see what they say. Their tech guys are really helpful.

I picked up these Shelby edition 18" rims mounted with Nitto 555 fronts and 555R drag radials used from Tasca a few weeks ago. They gave me a great deal on them ready to bolt on. 305/45/18 rear and 255/45/18 fronts. I had the same tires in 20" on my last car and I liked them alot. The drag radials hook up very well and still give a good ride. There might be better combos out there but if you drive the car hard nothing will last as long as rated anyway.

adpics040.jpg

im not sure those torque thrusts will fit big brakes, and none of them are "light." The entire CS line are great looking wheels, they will fit, and they are decently affordable. I'd check into putting 10" on the front though, im not sure if that works.

as for the tires, if wear and longevity is your goal, remember that you cannot rotate the tires if you stagger them and if the tires are directional, you can't even rotate side to side.

For daily/driving I use un-staggered falken fk452's 255-35's on a set of 20x9 CS69 on all four corners because even though they are directional, at least i can rotate front to back. And the FK452 is a cheap tire too.

For any sort of performance i run staggered Toyo Proxes 275/35 R + 255/35 F on a set of 18x9.5 CS69

Archived