TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil changes?

When I read through the standard Mustang Owner's Manual, it says to change the oil every 7500 miles. But I don't have a standard Mustang, I have a GT500. Also, in the Shelby GT500 Supplement handbook, it does not say when and/or how often to change the oil. It seems to me that there is probably a different oil change interval on our cars than on regular Mustangs. Does anyone know? I would think I should change the oil every 5000 miles. But I just can't be sure. Can anyone enlighten me? Maybe someone who is a Shelby expert?

When I read through the standard Mustang Owner's Manual, it says to change the oil every 7500 miles. But I don't have a standard Mustang, I have a GT500. Also, in the Shelby GT500 Supplement handbook, it does not say when and/or how often to change the oil. It seems to me that there is probably a different oil change interval on our cars than on regular Mustangs. Does anyone know? I would think I should change the oil every 5000 miles. But I just can't be sure. Can anyone enlighten me? Maybe someone who is a Shelby expert?

Owners manuals say a lot of things, I change the oil in all my cars every 3,000-3,500 Miles. I don't think that changing the engine oil earl could ever be frowned upon.

Regards,

Jim

That is what is recommended by Ford...every 7500 miles under normal conditions. Of course as CaptJim88 stated the 3,000 to 3,500 wouldn't hurt anything if you want to do that for extra piece of mind and you don't mind the extra cost.

You can look up specific vehicle maintenance schedules on this Ford site:

http://www.genuineservice.com/genuineservi...fault?page=Home

I think the '08 manual says 5000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. I change mine every 6 months.....

heres a link to a thread i started on oil change-- http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...p;hl=oil+change

As i said in it,i changed it sooner than the manual,and saw it was getting dirty and the filter was heavy with dirt.Make sure you use Ford stuff.Its not hard to do it yourself,but a lift would help alot.

change after the first 1000 miles and 5k or annually after that, the ford maintenance guides are kind of a "generic" guide to cover all thier vehicles, remember driving style has a big impact on this. Say if your runnin the intersate a lot, go 5k. In my situation only about 1200 annually, so once a yr. before storage. personal preference is motorcraft filters based on cost and function, others are hard to justify the cost. Very highly recommend NOT using a very popular filter that is painted bright ORANGE. I won't get into oil types as I believe the "B" spec. is not neccesary, but some think it is.

change after the first 1000 miles and 5k or annually after that, the ford maintenance guides are kind of a "generic" guide to cover all thier vehicles, remember driving style has a big impact on this. Say if your runnin the intersate a lot, go 5k. In my situation only about 1200 annually, so once a yr. before storage. personal preference is motorcraft filters based on cost and function, others are hard to justify the cost. Very highly recommend NOT using a very popular filter that is painted bright ORANGE. I won't get into oil types as I believe the "B" spec. is not neccesary, but some think it is.

I am with you brother,

I am a 5k or every year guy myself.

And did SVTpower say they are shipped from factory with 100% synthetic????? If this is the case then these motors should already have some hours on them. I thought 100% synthetic was bad for a NEW motor break in??? You need some friction and heat to help seat everything. I can see them using the Motocraft SynBlend but not 100% synthitic. Just seems very odd for a NEW/Tight motor.

Also don't go by the color of the oil. Oil is oil, and just because it is turning dark does not mean a darn thing. Oil is tougher then you think, I have sent several samples to Blackstone, (diesel and gas), with more miles then I care to telll you all about here. And a few came back ok.

All I am saying is don't get cought up in the hype of changing your oil every 3k/6mths, ect ect. If you are that worried then run it for 3k then send it in to be tested. I bet your results come back very clean oil, that had a few thousand miles left. You will be suprised.

If you are that worried then run it for 3k then send it in to be tested. I bet your results come back very clean oil, that had a few thousand miles left. You will be suprised.

Never heard of this before. Where do you "send" it? Who does this type of analysis?

Never heard of this before. Where do you "send" it? Who does this type of analysis?

Blackstone Laboratories

Blackstone Labs in Indiana will test them for you - I do this with the oil in the 500. VERY cool, and they are very thorough in explaining what minerals and elements in the oil mean what, and what kind of presence of these minerals is considered "normal wear and tear" as opposed to... "you have a worn head gasket", or something.

Blackstone laboratories. Just do a web search. They send you a sample takinG kit for free. And you mail it back to them. They email you a report. Very detailed they look for metals, water, fuel. Friend of mine had his bad main bearings diagnosed due to type of metal found in sample. This stuff in big with the diesel guys I sample my truck oil every now and again. Due to performance mods on my truck. Helps me keep an eye on the inside

So all you guy's think it is ok to completely ignore the owners manual that states 6 month intervals? I completely agree the oil shouldn't need it, but it is very clear in the manual.

I have been worried that if a car needs a $15K engine, and you can't produce oil change records of every 6 months, Ford may take issue with that. It is pretty clear in my manual....

I change mine after the first 1000 then annually or 3000 miles. My car is not a daily driver and will set more than it is driven which is why I go the annual route. If you put a lot of highway miles then probably less important on the 3000 miles but mine is a lot of short trips with consider down time between.

Driving habits a key here. For oil it is better to run the engine good and hot. Ie. Highway driving long trips over 20min ect. This gives the oil a chance to get rid of excess fuel, water and other trash. The short trips are the worst. 10 min or less and shorter cold weather trips are bad also.

All I can say is when I get mine, it will be every year or 5k what ever comes first.

And as for engine failure. I would tell Ford, prove that bad engine oil caused this. The only thing Ford will look for is sludge build up. And you really have to neglect a motor to get that.

I have been deep into the diesel performance world for the last few years. And if my 500hp duramax can run oil for 5k plus miles and still get a good rating from blackstone. Then I think the clean gasser 5.4 will do just fine with a few thousand or more.

So all you guy's think it is ok to completely ignore the owners manual that states 6 month intervals? I completely agree the oil shouldn't need it, but it is very clear in the manual.

I have been worried that if a car needs a $15K engine, and you can't produce oil change records of every 6 months, Ford may take issue with that. It is pretty clear in my manual....

I agree--thats a big bet to make.I can just hear the conversation now with the service manager when the engine blows up and you didnt change the oli enough and/or didnt use the speced oil.

I agree--thats a big bet to make.I can just hear the conversation now with the service manager when the engine blows up and you didnt change the oli enough and/or didnt use the speced oil.

It is a bet I am not willing to take. Oil changes twice per year for me, and reciepts in the file.....

Do the '10 manuals stipulate no longer than 6 months, like my '08 manual does?

Now correct oil is very important. Oil that is to thick, or carries the incorrect rating, yes you can mess with the pick up of oil from the pan.

Only question here is timeframe.

Does this car have an oil life meter in the DIC? ie. does the digital readout give you a % oil life left?

My '08 does not have the oil life meter, but this leads to a interesting point, my explorer has one and I gauge the mileage compared to the change oil soon reminder, it varies greatly with driving habits, around town driving is about 3k, on a trip to Florida from Ohio it went 4500 miles before the reminder came on. this should prove the vehicles PCM calculates oil life based on driving habits.

I think the '08 manual says 5000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. I change mine every 6 months.....

My dealer Service Manager came out and spoke with me when I picked up my car and he told me every 5,000 on the oil change. You know we also have an oil life indicator in the system check mode.

My dealer Service Manager came out and spoke with me when I picked up my car and he told me every 5,000 on the oil change. You know we also have an oil life indicator in the system check mode.

My '08 doesn't have a meter. Be interesting then if the meter kicks off a change signal at 6 month intervals.

My TSX has one and it goes 9500 per oil change, give or take. I have 22,000 on it and only two oil changes. That plus 31mpg makes for low cost motoring.....

My '08 doesn't have a meter. Be interesting then if the meter kicks off a change signal at 6 month intervals.

My TSX has one and it goes 9500 per oil change, give or take. I have 22,000 on it and only two oil changes. That plus 31mpg makes for low cost motoring.....

This is actually a visual indicator that tells you for example "Oil Life 98%" Mine is a t 95% and I have a little over four hundred miles on it.

If there is an oil life mode on the car and you can look at it. Then no way can the dealer or Ford hold you to the 6mth rule. I don't care what happens to the motor. If you tear it up and the oil life meter reads 30% life left or xxx miles to oil change, then I don't care if you have 10,000 miles on the oil. The vechicles computer told you you were ok.

So there is your answer to that question.

What you do beyond that is for your piece of mind.

Both vechicles I have now do not state a milage or time to change oil. It tells me to refer to the DIC. Dirvers Information Center for oil life.

If there is an oil life mode on the car and you can look at it. Then no way can the dealer or Ford hold you to the 6mth rule. I don't care what happens to the motor. If you tear it up and the oil life meter reads 30% life left or xxx miles to oil change, then I don't care if you have 10,000 miles on the oil. The vechicles computer told you you were ok.

So there is your answer to that question.

What you do beyond that is for your piece of mind.

Both vechicles I have now do not state a milage or time to change oil. It tells me to refer to the DIC. Dirvers Information Center for oil life.

I really don't think that argument will fly since you can reset the oil life indicator and change the calculation based on miles. From the owners manual:

Oil life

An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center.

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.

To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change

[approximately 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or six months] perform the

following:

1. Press and release the SETUP

control to display “OIL LIFE =

XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.

2. Press and hold the RESET

control for two seconds and release.

Oil life is set to 100% and “OIL LIFE

SET TO 100%” is displayed.

3. While “OIL LIFE SET TO 100%”

is displayed, if a lower oil life start

value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start

value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10 percent.

Note: Oil life start value of 100% equals 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or six

months. For example, setting oil life start value to 60% sets the oil life

start value to 4,500 miles (7,200 km) and 108 days.

I really don't think that argument will fly since you can reset the oil life indicator and change the calculation based on miles. From the owners manual:

Oil life

An oil change is required whenever indicated by the message center.

USE ONLY RECOMMENDED ENGINE OILS.

To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change

[approximately 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or six months] perform the

following:

1. Press and release the SETUP

control to display “OIL LIFE =

XXX% HOLD RESET = NEW”.

2. Press and hold the RESET

control for two seconds and release.

Oil life is set to 100% and “OIL LIFE

SET TO 100%” is displayed.

3. While “OIL LIFE SET TO 100%”

is displayed, if a lower oil life start

value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start

value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10 percent.

Note: Oil life start value of 100% equals 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or six

months. For example, setting oil life start value to 60% sets the oil life

start value to 4,500 miles (7,200 km) and 108 days.

VERY cool - thanks for the info!! :salute:

I see what you are saying but when it does reset it will go to 100%. The topic here is dealing with engine failure or some part breaking due not following the manual. I don't think you can predict when something is going to fail so you would be resetting your reminder after the fact. And this will be checked. Also this all plays on the honesty issue. Anyone can lie about when they changed the oil. But when they pull the info from the computer and it has been several months and reminder has not been reset and you still have oil life left. How can ford blame the owner? They are just going buy what the car is telling them. But if you bring in a car with a failed part and the reminder was reset a day or two before and shows 99% or 100% oil life and the oil is dirty. Then yes they will know. That is what I was saying

Archived