TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 Strut Tower Brace

I was looking at a 2010 GT500 Grabber Blue Vert this afternoon at a Jacksonville, NC dealer and noticed that it didn't have a strut tower brace. Does the 2010 GT500 Coupe come sans the brace also?

It does NOT have a strut tower brace. I believe that a brace would NOT fit because of the supercharger. Hopefully, someone will come out with one, maybe in billet aluminum, cuz I would definitely get one.

The 2010 GT500 does not have a STB. However, Steeda has one available at http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_stru...brace_gt500.php

for $175. Keeping this in mind, I have noticed many question on the net about STB's on the GT's, 19" Wheels only?, and why on the GT500 there isn't one available. Simply put, the GT500 is stiffened from the underside. So will an STB make a difference? If anybody has put an STB on their 2010, please let this thread know if it has made a difference.

Also, the Super Snake has an STB but, I can't locate any pictures with the hood up for a "look see". Anybody have any leads here.

The 2010 GT500 does not have a STB. However, Steeda has one available at http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_stru...brace_gt500.php

for $175. Keeping this in mind, I have noticed many question on the net about STB's on the GT's, 19" Wheels only?, and why on the GT500 there isn't one available. Simply put, the GT500 is stiffened from the underside. So will an STB make a difference? If anybody has put an STB on their 2010, please let this thread know if it has made a difference.

Also, the Super Snake has an STB but, I can't locate any pictures with the hood up for a "look see". Anybody have any leads here.

Does anybody have actual proof of the stiffining from the underside? I don't think the chassis changed, so if they stiffened, did they add some cross members, etc???

I think they just decided to delete STB as it wouldn't fit with the intake set up. It probably only make a small improvement anyway, so they decided to just omit it....

Does anybody have actual proof of the stiffining from the underside? I don't think the chassis changed, so if they stiffened, did they add some cross members, etc???

I think they just decided to delete STB as it wouldn't fit with the intake set up. It probably only make a small improvement anyway, so they decided to just omit it....

Ford engineers at a recent car show told me that the 2010 chassis 30% stiffer than previous gt500s. Wall gauge was thickened in the front of the car. As a result the brace does not add anything regarding chassis stiffness and is therefore not needed. In addition there is the previously interference issue as well. The stronger chassis was also needed to improve crash resistance.

Ford engineers at a recent car show told me that the 2010 chassis 30% stiffer than previous gt500s. Wall gauge was thickened in the front of the car. As a result the brace does not add anything regarding chassis stiffness and is therefore not needed. In addition there is the previously interference issue as well. The stronger chassis was also needed to improve crash resistance.

So then why the strut tower brace on the GT's? I can't imagine they change the wall gauge thickness in front from GT to GT500. I really doubt the assembly line would accomidate that....

I don't doubt they told you that, but I have talked to the "engineers" at car shows, too, and my confidence in what the poeple I have talked to has been quite low...

All that said, and I took mine off last year, trying to chase down a front end noise, and I couldn't tell the difference driving it back to back with it on and off....

So then why the strut tower brace on the GT's? I can't imagine they change the wall gauge thickness in front from GT to GT500. I really doubt the assembly line would accomidate that....

I don't doubt they told you that, but I have talked to the "engineers" at car shows, too, and my confidence in what the poeple I have talked to has been quite low...

All that said, and I took mine off last year, trying to chase down a front end noise, and I couldn't tell the difference driving it back to back with it on and off....

to echo what you have said SS deemed it unnecessary other wise they wold have a solution!

This was at a big All Fords show. The engineers there and one in particular was one of their lead designers for the GT500. He seemed straight to me and was very well informed. Re GT500 vs the GT -- there is a lot different. For example: consider 540+ HP vs 315HP -- just think about the difference in static and dynamic stresses/loads in particular. Big power difference plus about 600lb difference is weight. They need to test these cars to similar dynamic limits through their operating envelopes. This will then necessarily result in different limit forces so different mechanical designs as appropriate. Similar but not the same animals.

Archived