TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question about the S/D light bar

BobsShelbyDakota

I have a strange question, I have never seen a S/D with lights attached to the light bar in person or in pictures, even the brochure does not show them. Is there a special kind of Mopar bar lights that would be installed if wanted? Of course anyone can mount a set of plain driving lights but I am wondering if there was a special set for the S/D.

Bob

I have a strange question, I have never seen a S/D with lights attached to the light bar in person or in pictures, even the brochure does not show them. Is there a special kind of Mopar bar lights that would be installed if wanted? Of course anyone can mount a set of plain driving lights but I am wondering if there was a special set for the S/D.

Bob

Bob the answer is no but the answer is also yes.

There were no special Shelby Dakota lights but Mopar did sell some over the counter lights for the dealer installed Dodge Dakota Mopar Xpress appearance kit which used the same light bar as the Shelby Dakota. These lights were more of a universal light kit for use on various Mopar products.

The only Shelby Dakota that I recall having lights mounted on the light bar is the 1990 Shelby Dakota prototype. If I recall these lights were going to come standard on the 1990 shelby Dakota.

I'll get a pic for you.

Steve

Bob

Don't do it man. The light bars are not that sturdy. The additional weight will make them crack/crack faster at the joints.

I don't know, lights are not that heavy and the bar to me looks pointless without lights on it.

BTW GLHS0136, that is a beautiful White S/D!

I think the reason behind his advice is that the bars have a history of cracking over time if the vehicle is driven regularly, without any device load on them. And the only way to get a replacement bar is to find someone selling one (tough to do), and anybody selling one knows they are worth some bucks $$$ because they are in demand.

I think the reason behind his advice is that the bars have a history of cracking over time if the vehicle is driven regularly, without any device load on them. And the only way to get a replacement bar is to find someone selling one (tough to do), and anybody selling one knows they are worth some bucks $$$ because they are in demand.

I totally understand with both of you, I just thought it would look cool with the lights on them. Mine seems pretty strong but I can see where it might crack over time. I will probably take GLHS0136's advice and leave it alone as I don't want to ruin it.

Bob

I don't know, lights are not that heavy and the bar to me looks pointless without lights on it.

BTW GLHS0136, that is a beautiful White S/D!

I think most people would probably not even know it was a light bar.. I think it took me washing my first Dakota to realize it had places to mount lights. Cadillac now uses something similar on their trucks without lights.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck.

Robert

I totally understand with both of you, I just thought it would look cool with the lights on them. Mine seems pretty strong but I can see where it might crack over time. I will probably take GLHS0136's advice and leave it alone as I don't want to ruin it.

Bob

Bob

Wait until I post a pic for you. To me the lights never looked right. It took away from the sleekness of the roof line. The 1990 prototype lites always seemed cockeyed looking but perhaps that's from the way they were installed.

One other item is that by law the lights have to remain covered when the vehicle is driven on public roads. Its one of those little hidden laws but a good LEO knows its a perfect probable cause excuse for a traffic stop.

Steve

Bob

Wait until I post a pic for you. To me the lights never looked right. It took away from the sleekness of the roof line. The 1990 prototype lites always seemed cockeyed looking but perhaps that's from the way they were installed.

One other item is that by law the lights have to remain covered when the vehicle is driven on public roads. Its one of those little hidden laws but a good LEO knows its a perfect probable cause excuse for a traffic stop.

Steve

Steve,

Yes, Please post a pic so I can see it when you can. Do the covers only apply to the lights that are above the roofline?

Bob

Steve,

Yes, Please post a pic so I can see it when you can. Do the covers only apply to the lights that are above the roofline?

Bob

Technically it applies to any "off road" lights. So if you have push bar with lites, a roll bar with lites, even one of those pilar mounted swivel light they need to be covered on a public road.

This applies to all vehicles not just trucks. So those Subaru's and Range Rovers you see with the huge round lights mounted to the front end need to have covers.

Steve

Technically it applies to any "off road" lights. So if you have push bar with lites, a roll bar with lites, even one of those pilar mounted swivel light they need to be covered on a public road.

This applies to all vehicles not just trucks. So those Subaru's and Range Rovers you see with the huge round lights mounted to the front end need to have covers.

Steve

Hmmm, is that a California law? I have never heard that in Nevada.

Steve

Steve,

An off the base question, are there any plans to make that Shelby museum larger? Not much space for the Dodge Shelby's. Now I have to find a new place for lunch now that the Shelby Cafe is closed. :cry: They had great food there.

Bob

Steve

Is this the one you're looking for Steve? I see that truck has the early prototype light bar.

EDIT: Photo Removed

Is this the one you're looking for Steve? I see that truck has the early prototype light bar.

EDIT: Photo Removed

Yup that's it. I removed your photo as it showed the license plate. Below is basically the same photo with the l/p blocked out. Don't need any emails from the lawyers ;)

And yes it has the earlier style light bar.

Steve

90_Dak_Proto1.jpg

90_Dak_Proto2.jpg

90_Dak_Proto1.jpg

90_Dak_Proto2.jpg

Steve,

An off the base question, are there any plans to make that Shelby museum larger? Not much space for the Dodge Shelby's. Now I have to find a new place for lunch now that the Shelby Cafe is closed. :cry: They had great food there.

Actually thanks to AmyB currently the museum is the largest its ever been. When it was remodeled last year Amy and her crew moved a few offices to another building so that they could expand the museum by tearing down these offices for more floor space.

There are four Shelby Dodges on display right now. I would suspect most likely we would rotate other Shelby Dodge cars into the museum. Pretty much all of the floor space is already taken up.

All I can suggest is that when you take the tour that you mention to the tour guide that you enjoyed the Dodge cars and would like to see others. The more interest shown, the more likely it will be discussed by the museum staff.

Steve

I agree with Shelbymotorsports, the lights just don't look right. Like they're held on with double sided tape and are about to fall off or something.

Glad you see it. It looks worse in person. It gives you a crosseyed feeling.

I'm sure they could be mounted straighter but I still feel it takes away from the roofline sleekness.

By the way the lights are from Sev Marchal.

Steve

Yup that's it. I removed your photo as it showed the license plate. Below is basically the same photo with the l/p blocked out. Don't need any emails from the lawyers ;)

And yes it has the earlier style light bar.

Steve

That's cool. I'll remember that for any future photos.

Glad you see it. It looks worse in person. It gives you a crosseyed feeling.

I'm sure they could be mounted straighter but I still feel it takes away from the roofline sleekness.

By the way the lights are from Sev Marchal.

Steve

I agree it does look tacky. Better to have no lights up there.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I dont think the lights fit the truck, also I like the fender flares that came on the 89 S/D the rear wheels dont look right either they are too wide. Do you have any pics of under the hood??? :drool:

btw I am new here, my name is Jake and I own S/D #1226 its red, bone stock, in good condition and im the 2nd owner. I just turned 16 and I got it for my first car (how cool is that).

I dont think the lights fit the truck, also I like the fender flares that came on the 89 S/D the rear wheels dont look right either they are too wide. Do you have any pics of under the hood??? :drool:

btw I am new here, my name is Jake and I own S/D #1226 its red, bone stock, in good condition and im the 2nd owner. I just turned 16 and I got it for my first car (how cool is that).

Hi Jake and everybody lets give Jake a big hand for having great eyesight.

The reason that rear wheel is sticking out too far is because its the wrong wheel. That wheel is from the Twin Turbo Dakota. I noticed that when Robert posted the pics but already had forgotten about it.

I'll ask the shop guys to swap the wheels to the correct trucks asap. If its not done by the January Gardena to Vegas Bash run feel free to kick me in the rear for being such a slacker.

Funny thing is that its been that way for several years and no one has said a thing ;)

Steve

Archived