TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2005 S/C Shelby

350steps

The cover ad on the Summer 2009 issue of "My Ford" magazine states "upfit your 2005-2010 Mustang into one of these Shelby Authentic Vehicles".....

The Shelby Supercharged model depicted appears to be equipped with an SGT front fascia with Shelby graphics,, GT-H hood with hugh Cobra graphics, painted brake calipers behind customized wheels......the description is more enticing with 550 HP supercharged engine, Borla dual exhaust, and esentially an enhanced SGT upfitters package.............

Will these vehicles receive a CSM # and be eligible for entry into the registry.....it would seem logical since they are "Shelby Authentic Vehicles".....I think if I invested $30K to $35K in an upfitters package I would like to see my car listed....

If so, what is more exclusive; the 2006 GT-H, the first Shelby after 35 years, which was not available to consumers until 2007, or a 2005 Shelby which chronologically is 1 year "newer" from a model year release perspective, and can be customized including optional front and rear fascias (meaning SAI matches 2005 paint codes)......

Given the fact that you can buy a 2005 GT with less than 1000 miles for $20+K ( check cars.com and e-bay) would it be a better investment to have an essentially new Legend Lime 2005 GT upfitted?? After all it is a Shelby and would be more unique.

I applaud SAI's marketing....they are responding to what the public wants, and, realistically all Shelby owners will benefit indirectly with the expansion/continuation of the company......but I wonder what effect it will have on the exclusivity of the 2006 GT-H's or the 2007-2008 SGT's. After all you often read in the ads about how only a dozen or so Shelbys were manufactured "in this specific color combination" or "equipped with a Paxton S/C", or the like. I wonder then, what value would you place on a 2005 Screaming Yellow S/C Shelby?

It is intriguing to think about..............., hmmmm, selling my 2008 Vista Blue SGT convertible for a 2005 Windveil Blue/parchment leather S/C Shelby convertible?

Any thoughts??

I understand Shelby wanting to do it from a business standpoint but I feel it will only add to the confusion people have over these cars all ready and dilute the breed. Most people I meet think all Shelbys are GT500s and have 500hp. (I wish) Explaining what a SGT is takes long enough, having to explain those as well might just muddy the waters even more.

Upfitting a 2007 or newer GT500 is one thing, since the model already existed as an "Authentic Shelby Product" in 2007, but offering to upfit a 2005 to an enhanced SGT level seems at the very least to take away from how unique the 2006 GT-H is.

So while you're showing off your 2006 GT-H as one of the first Shelby Mustangs in 35 years some guy pulls in with his S/C equipped 2005 Shelby convertible!!

I believe the "playing field should have been leveled" by starting the upfit package with either the 2006's at a minimum, or more appropriately the 2007's.

Again, it is an intriguing offer, and for those who missed the opportunity to purchase a 2006 GT-H or 2007 through 2008 SGT another opportunity has been made available.....

I understand the marketing opportunity this presents to SAI and realize it is a good thing from the company's standpoint....... (honestly, if I had the cash I would be very tempted), but it does seem to take away some of the "mystique" about owning an "early" GT-H or SGT.....

Upfitting a 2007 or newer GT500 is one thing, since the model already existed as an "Authentic Shelby Product" in 2007, but offering to upfit a 2005 to an enhanced SGT level seems at the very least to take away from how unique the 2006 GT-H is.

So while you're showing off your 2006 GT-H as one of the first Shelby Mustangs in 35 years some guy pulls in with his S/C equipped 2005 Shelby convertible!!

I believe the "playing field should have been leveled" by starting the upfit package with either the 2006's at a minimum, or more appropriately the 2007's.

Again, it is an intriguing offer, and for those who missed the opportunity to purchase a 2006 GT-H or 2007 through 2008 SGT another opportunity has been made available.....

I understand the marketing opportunity this presents to SAI and realize it is a good thing from the company's standpoint....... (honestly, if I had the cash I would be very tempted), but it does seem to take away some of the "mystique" about owning an "early" GT-H or SGT.....

I think it's CRAP!! While I see the SAI marketing point in the aftermarket arena, they should offer these packages for 2010 models and later years, thus leaving the 06-08 Shelby's alone and unique! My .02

Again Shelby is not the huge money making machine people think it is and business survival is brutal. There is "possibly" huge debt due to the huge shop SAI has and huge payroll they have. SAI needs to get lean, pay down debt and keep the name strong for the next run of 2011 400 +HP Shelby GT's which will make him another $50M. The future is not in Mustang GT's being built into Shelby's, the future is Shelby Mustangs being built at SAI for Shelby enthusiasts.

Archived