TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Phone function on NAV system

While I dearly love my KR, I am very frustrated by the poor design and lack of insite by Ford regarding the lack of bluetooth phone function on the $2000 NAV system. To have a non-functional "phone" button on the unit is an insult to owners. Pioneer actually makes an upgrade that would activate the button but cannot sell it to the public and Ford will not make it available and suggests an add-on bluetooth unit.

Has anyone solved this issue?

Does anyone know if the 2010 GT500 steering wheel that has many more NAV/stero control buttons right on the spokes fit the 2008 model?

It seems the only way to fix this is to replace the factory unit which is such a waste.

Alan Sorkey

Shreveport, LA

2008 KR 0484.

While I dearly love my KR, I am very frustrated by the poor design and lack of insite by Ford regarding the lack of bluetooth phone function on the $2000 NAV system. To have a non-functional "phone" button on the unit is an insult to owners. Pioneer actually makes an upgrade that would activate the button but cannot sell it to the public and Ford will not make it available and suggests an add-on bluetooth unit.

Does anyone know if the 2010 GT500 steering wheel that has many more NAV/stero control buttons right on the spokes fit the 2008 model?

It seems the only way to fix this is to replace the factory unit which is such a waste.

Alan Sorkey

Shreveport, LA

2008 KR 0484.

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Team Shelby, somebody here with more brains then me will have an answer.

But I agree 100%, a 50k plus car (mine is a GT500) without that feature built in, and while I'm at it, how about homelink? Even my 1997 Expedition had that!!!

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Team Shelby, somebody here with more brains then me will have an answer.

But I agree 100%, a 50k plus car (mine is a GT500) without that feature built in, and while I'm at it, how about homelink? Even my 1997 Expedition had that!!!

The frustrating thing is obviously they intended to have this function otherwise why have a "phone" button built in to the unit? Hands free calling is a must have feature and it would be so simple for Ford to retrofit these cars and thousands of others to allow this feature to work rather than having to use an add-on unit with wires coming out of the dash making it obvious it is an add on.

Alan Sorkey

Shreveport, LA

2008 KR 0484.

Amen my brother. This has been my only major complaint, along with the fact that we can't get the new navigation DVD due to Ford bickering with NavTech.

I solved the phone piece by getting a neat little Jabra bluetooth speakerphone that slips on the visor. Everyone I talk to on it say that the voice quality is excellent, and they hear very little background or road noise, even with the windows down cruising on the interstate.

The frustrating thing is obviously they intended to have this function otherwise why have a "phone" button built in to the unit? Hands free calling is a must have feature and it would be so simple for Ford to retrofit these cars and thousands of others to allow this feature to work rather than having to use an add-on unit with wires coming out of the dash making it obvious it is an add on.

The answer is simple: Ford has an agreement with Microsoft to use the Sync system in all their cars, therefore the Pioneer Nav had to have the function disabled. I wish someone would figure out how to turn it back on!

The answer is simple: Ford has an agreement with Microsoft to use the Sync system in all their cars, therefore the Pioneer Nav had to have the function disabled. I wish someone would figure out how to turn it back on!

It was my understanding that the phone button works on other Ford products which is why its on the nav unit. Don't forget the 2007-09 Nav unit was used in other Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns. For some reason it wasn't made functional on the Mustang.

This is just my understanding on it. The info I was told could be wrong.

Steve

PS- And I agree we really need a hacker for these nav units. I want a Shelby start up screen and I want to use the darn thing while the car is moving.

Steve

Hmm, lets see the 20k Ford Focus has Sync, but not the 50k Shelby :banghead: My wifes 2008 M-B C350 Sport has it so it plays thru the Harmon Kardon car stereo, absolutely amazing sound and clarity! and her car only cost 36k and all controls on the steering wheel :banghead:

Like Steve said, we need someone to hack that, anyone here with nerdy teenager?

Pioneer has the fix. They have a module that adds the phone button/bluetooth functions but they cannot sell it to end users due to their contract with Ford to provide the unit as OEM. For some reason, Ford is not willing to offer this fix for the thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of cars that would benefit. Very short sited.

Pioneer has the fix. They have a module that adds the phone button/bluetooth functions but they cannot sell it to end users due to their contract with Ford to provide the unit as OEM. For some reason, Ford is not willing to offer this fix for the thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of cars that would benefit. Very short sited.

Not sell to end-users? How about technicians and/or service people?

What is the actual name of the part?

I got some further info on this issue, both Pioneer and Ford are being totally unhelpful, I cannot even get the actual Pioneer part number for the unit. Pioneer makes a "Bluetooth Adapter" to enable the bluetooth feature on many older units and I suspect it would work on the Ford OEM unit in the Mustangs, here is a link to the Pioneer part at the Pioneer website:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Sho...apter/CD-BTB200

Does anyone in the forum work at a Ford dealer and could get the actual Pioneer part number for the DVD NAV system?

I got some further info on this issue, both Pioneer and Ford are being totally unhelpful, I cannot even get the actual Pioneer part number for the unit. Pioneer makes a "Bluetooth Adapter" to enable the bluetooth feature on many older units and I suspect it would work on the Ford OEM unit in the Mustangs, here is a link to the Pioneer part at the Pioneer website:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Sho...apter/CD-BTB200

Does anyone in the forum work at a Ford dealer and could get the actual Pioneer part number for the DVD NAV system?

MM, Shelbydude, FiveOH....any one????

Have a savvy guy back in parts & service that can figure out a work-around

I want/need my activation!!!

I installed one of these on my nav-equipped 2007 GT500, and it worked flawlessly, speaking through the car's speaker system and muting the audio when a call came in or was initiated. The only thing visible inside the car was a small button control panel, about the size of a book of matches, which fit very neatly onto the dash just to the left of the display screen.

Michael

I installed one of these on my nav-equipped 2007 GT500, and it worked flawlessly, speaking through the car's speaker system and muting the audio when a call came in or was initiated. The only thing visible inside the car was a small button control panel, about the size of a book of matches, which fit very neatly onto the dash just to the left of the display screen.

Michael

There are many aftermarket items that will work, I want to avoid having an external control when I already have a $2000 unit sitting in the dash that is meant to provide the function, even has a non-working "phone" button on the dash.

I don't work at Ford but here's the part number you're looking for.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks, now we're getting somewhere. The number that I am looking for is the Pioneer number rather than the Ford part number, can you take another shot with those numbers in focus? Also the real issue is where the unit has an IP-bus connector to plug in to, could you take some pics of the connectors on the unit? Here is a schematic from Pioneer:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/i...sManual0329.pdf

on page 35.

Alan

I'm with Alan on this one. Ford should provide a fix for this.

After more research and a response from Pioneer, the aftermarket module will only work with aftermarket radio's, not with OEM. No doubt, they could easily make the module work with OEM but they won't at this point. My last attempt will be to ask Amy if Shelby will attempt to work with Ford and Pioneer for a simple fix.

Alan Sorkey

Shreveport, LA

KR 0484

I think that I have accepted that I am going to have to replace the entire unit to get what I want, a shame and and waste. Next question, will the 2010 GT500 steering wheel fit on my 2008 car? It has many more controls on it and there is an adapter to make them work with aftermarket systems.

Alan Sorkey

Shreveport, LA

KR 0484

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived