TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's a Great Shelby Fantasy? Check this:

Jer

So, my company had a Job Posting last week for our Las Vegas location. It's one of the "cooler" high-profile spots, I figured there would be tons of applicants, but... what the hell?... I got my wife bought in (we both have grown tired of our run here in Long Island, where my company moved us 6 years ago), and threw my hat in the ring. I actually put it on my resume: I want to be in Vegas for the weather, and to be nearer to my hobbies - Shelby Automobiles and NHRA Drag Racing (two Full Throttle events per year at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway!).

Well, the Vice President called, and he told me he has a Shelby pic as his PC's desktop wallpaper, we shared a laugh. He then gave me the job!

I drive my car very little here in NY (snow, rain, sandy roads, etc...), so of COURSE I'm delighted to be going somewhere HOT... plus, the Mod Shop S/C install will be a breeze now. I'm buying a house with a garage, so I can detail the car to the level I've always wanted, without Mr. Rain doing you-know-what-on-my-parade the very next day. This relocation is a dream come true...

... with one small inconvenience: Because I have three cars (my wife's Eclipse GT, my Grand Cherokee, and the SGT), I'll need to actually drive one there - company policy only supports the shipment of 2 vehicles. Since New York to Vegas is no short hop, I would like to solicit the advice of my fellow Shelby brothers and sisters. The Jeep would probably be more comfortable, but the idea of making a cross-country road trip in a Shelby is the stuff of fantasy, right? Will the exhaust note make me nuts? How's reliability over long drives through the desert? My wife is willing to ride with me, I can see it being Heaven or Hell, as we share a great experience and/or relive a Chevy Chase movie for many many days straight... LOL

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?"

Please throw any and all anecdotes, wisdom, and advice at me!

Jer

p.s. Guess my difficult search for a shop to perform my stripe and scoop replacement may simplify now, right?

Take your Shelby. Any of the non-interstate routes from the Continental Divide to Vegas are breathtaking and perfect for you car.

If you come out I 70, take the route through Capitol Reef NP to Zion NP via Escalon and Bryce Canyon. It will take forever, as you will be stopping every 20 mins to take photos. Some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere.

See, THIS is why I posted the story here.. already two great bits of advice! Thanks, guys!

Jer

Congratulations on the relocation of your choice. There are great home bargains in the Vegas area. Watch the traffic patterns in relation to your office and try to be in a counter commute direction. The freeways get really jammed.

Vegas also has a number of flood control areas. When buying a home I would stay away from them and make sure that you don't have to cross them to get to work. Vegas seems to get 100 year flooding about every 5 years.

As for the Shelby I would load it on a transport. Driving would be fun but I'm so compulsive I would be out there cleaning off the bugs constantly.

Congratulations on the relocation of your choice. There are great home bargains in the Vegas area. Watch the traffic patterns in relation to your office and try to be in a counter commute direction. The freeways get really jammed.

Vegas also has a number of flood control areas. When buying a home I would stay away from them and make sure that you don't have to cross them to get to work. Vegas seems to get 100 year flooding about every 5 years.

As for the Shelby I would load it on a transport. Driving would be fun but I'm so compulsive I would be out there cleaning off the bugs constantly.

Well, mine has rock chips, bugs, rotten stripes, and a little scrape in the nose where a bumbling idiot backed into it... and tried to drive away, yet miraculously survived... :). All stuff I'm gonna fix when I settle in to NV. So the new garage will be the beginning of THAT level of care, although I'll always drive it. Just my style. So for the purpose of this trip, minor wear and tear won't bug me, nor will the mileage on the car.

As for housing advice, THANKS FOR THAT TIP! I just looked at the Flood Control maps... not very easy to read, huh? Wow...

We've been looking in the SW Valley (Mountain's Edge looks good) or Henderson, I think. Feel free to chime in on this stuff too!

My new job's right next door to McCarran Airport, BTW, so I think staying South makes sense. Not that I'm afraid of traffic (Metro NYC has scarred me for life)!

Jer

Drive the Shelby...or better yet, get me to New York, and I'll drive it to Vegas for you! I'm currently unemployed so I have nothing but time...LOL

Seriously, My wife and I are in our early 50's and we've taken the SGT from West Texas to Florida last year, and went to Colorado in it this year...The suspension is tight and you will feel every little bump in the road, but that's the nature of the car...planned stops to stretch are recommended...besides, everyone will want to ask you something about the car along the way too...

The Mountain passes are breathtaking but you have to be sure YOU are paying attention to the road so you don't run off and down the side of the mountain...besides, both hands on the wheel taking 20 MPH curves at 50 is a BLAST!!! The SGT will handle like it is on RAILS!!!

DRIVE IT!!! It'll be a trip you'll never forget! But, like I said, if you really don't want to drive it, give me a call and I'll take care of it for you!

Carl

Drive the Shelby out !!

Sometimes by myself, sometimes with my wife, her SGT has been all over the country. FYI we live in Jersey, near Philly.

To Terlingua and back for the reunion.

To Perry, GA. Shipped out to LA, and driven by a friend to the '09 Birthday bash.

From Las Vegas home

To Las Vegas to get supercharged and bigger brakes in time for the 45th

To Barber for the 45th. Shipped back home by transport with our other cars that were there.

Drove our '07 GT-H home from Houston, TX.

Go out and see the country in a Shelby. You will not be dissapointed.

How far out on The Island are you?

PM for details on our travels. A lot of the western leg can follow the Route 66 corridor.

As for housing advice, THANKS FOR THAT TIP! I just looked at the Flood Control maps... not very easy to read, huh? Wow...

We've been looking in the SW Valley (Mountain's Edge looks good) or Henderson, I think. Feel free to chime in on this stuff too!

My new job's right next door to McCarran Airport, BTW, so I think staying South makes sense. Not that I'm afraid of traffic (Metro NYC has scarred me for life)!

Jer

My wife is short selling our house in Henderson, about 15/20 min from the airport. 2 car garage and a view of the Vegas skyline.

Take the SGT, I drive back and forth from Newport CA to Vegas all the time and it's smooth with great gas mileage.

The house is 150ish, great location, great condition, right size.Vegas_House.jpg

Mike

Vegas_House.jpg

You need to consider weather in your equation, as to when you would do this trip. Honestly, if it is soon, I would stick to the northern routes, since I-20 and I-40 are pretty lackluster once you get past Memphis or hit the Tx border respectively. On the other hand, I-70 through Kansas should come with a gun and a bullet....its the worst stretch Ive ever been on. BORING. KC is beautiful though. Ive never driven the far north route, but I bet its better than Kansas or Nebraska all the way down to Texas, and then take her into the rockies and through Utah like MMcGuirk suggested is some of the best scenery you get in this country!

Welcome to the West. It's a whole different lifestyle. :happy feet: I drive to Vegas 2-3 times a year from the Salt Lake area. It's about a 400 mile trip each way on I-15. The posted speed limit south Salt Lake all the way to Vega is 75 or 80 depending on where you are. I took my 07SGT to the Las Vegas Nationals last fall as I am also a big NHRA fan. It was my 4th thrip to the fall races.

The car ran like a champ. I didn't notice the exhaust noise as the Shaker 500 kept up with it and then there was my wife's constant "Slow Down" :rant2: to cover it up. I find the seats very comfortable on long trips. This year we are going down again. I already have my reserved seats at about the 100 ft mark past the Christmas tree. Because of work, I might have to make it a quickie trip over the weekend only. :shrug: Hey, it is still the drags and Vegas. :rockon: If so, I am considering taking the SGT again. The only "problem" we encountered is the people who need to see the car and photograph it at every gas and pee stop. It never gets old. :happy feet:

I was in the constructon equip. business and had to go to Vegas on business for a week each month for 5 years. Like Ingram says, watch out for the flood areas. The entire valley has a thick layer of limestone under it that prevents most rain water from being absorbed, unlike back east. I'm originally from NJ. Most homes don't have basements because of the cost of breaking thru the limestone. A swimming pool costs a fortune to dig.

There are dips in some roads that are marked for flood control. Don't go thru one if it looks threatening or there is water running in one. They'll fill up fast and usually wash a few cars a year away. We were on the Strip last month when a thunderstorm rolled in. It poured for about 10 minutes and the water was already coming over the curb. It dosen't rain that much there but the storm drains aren't equipped to handle lots of water in a hurry, either.

Good luck on your move and trip.

Welcome to the desert! I live an hour north of Las Vegas. I hope you're ready for brutally hot summers.

After 38 years in the Northeast, I'M COUNTING ON THEM! LOL!

But, seriously, I do expect to be surprised at first, it'll take some getting used to.

Good reason to shed a few pounds, get back to my "fightin' weight"...heh heh heh...

Thanks!

Jer

BTW, keep this stuff coming, folks... I'm getting smarter with every line I read!

THANKS!

Jer

Incidentally,

For my fellow NHRA fans, here is how a few of my friends (LOL) decided to "deface" my Team Shelby shirt at the NHRA 2009 SuperNationals in Englishtown a few weeks ago... I got all my Shelby and Ford-affiliated favorite drivers to sign it:

Tim Wilkerson

Bob Tasca III

Don Prudhomme

John Force

Mike Neff

Robert Hight

Sorry, the photo's a crooked self-shot with a cell phone but you get the idea!

Jer

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

Incidentally,

For my fellow NHRA fans, here is how a few of my friends (LOL) decided to "deface" my Team Shelby shirt at the NHRA 2009 SuperNationals in Englishtown a few weeks ago... I got all my Shelby and Ford-affiliated favorite drivers to sign it:

Tim Wilkerson

Bob Tasca III

Don Prudhomme

John Force

Mike Neff

Robert Hight

Sorry, the photo's a crooked self-shot with a cell phone but you get the idea!

Jer

IMG_0637.jpg

Way cool. Being from NJ, I spent my high school years at Englishtown. I have a black and white photo of the 1966 A/FX Tasca Ford Mustang altered wheelbase funny car I took in June 1967, according to what I wrote on the back. I also attended the 1st thru the 4th Summernationals there and still have the $1.00 programs.

From my Vegas races, I have Robert Hight's autograph under the brim of my black Nitro hat with the chemical formula on it. You probably know which one I mean. The red underside of the brim was the only part that his black Sharpie would show up. I was next on the rail for Ashley Force when they called her over to the car for something Maybe this year......

Way cool. Being from NJ, I spent my high school years at Englishtown. I have a black and white photo of the 1966 A/FX Tasca Ford Mustang altered wheelbase funny car I took in June 1967, according to what I wrote on the back. I also attended the 1st thru the 4th Summernationals there and still have the $1.00 programs.

From my Vegas races, I have Robert Hight's autograph under the brim of my black Nitro hat with the chemical formula on it. You probably know which one I mean. The red underside of the brim was the only part that his black Sharpie would show up. I was next on the rail for Ashley Force when they called her over to the car for something Maybe this year......

Great stuff...

Jer

I'm still reading page one, so if someone else has said this... I'm sorry. Think of it this way, how many times on the trip from NY to NV would you say "I really wish we'd drove the Shelby". Drive the Shelby and don't regret a second of it.

Typing this from our friends' house in Vegas right now. The desert is a very different place, but the seasons are up-ended. You'll spend three months inside and dread going outside. Those three months here are mid-June - mid-Sept. But I've never had to shovel 3' of 105*F off my car when I'm here this time of the year.

I am not so sure why people seem to be telling you to take the Shelby if you are NOT in a hurry. My wife and I have found our SGT to be a very comfortable cross-country cruiser, whether going fast to cover miles or going slow to enjoy the scenery. As a matter of fact, we are trying to take ours to every state and are now halfway there at 25 states so far with the recent hop down to Mustang Week in SC and FL. It was truly far more comfortable than I would have ever imagined and an absolute joy to travel in. Good Luck on your move!

So, my company had a Job Posting last week for our Las Vegas location. It's one of the "cooler" high-profile spots, I figured there would be tons of applicants, but... what the hell?... I got my wife bought in (we both have grown tired of our run here in Long Island, where my company moved us 6 years ago), and threw my hat in the ring. I actually put it on my resume: I want to be in Vegas for the weather, and to be nearer to my hobbies - Shelby Automobiles and NHRA Drag Racing (two Full Throttle events per year at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway!).

Well, the Vice President called, and he told me he has a Shelby pic as his PC's desktop wallpaper, we shared a laugh. He then gave me the job!

I drive my car very little here in NY (snow, rain, sandy roads, etc...), so of COURSE I'm delighted to be going somewhere HOT... plus, the Mod Shop S/C install will be a breeze now. I'm buying a house with a garage, so I can detail the car to the level I've always wanted, without Mr. Rain doing you-know-what-on-my-parade the very next day. This relocation is a dream come true...

... with one small inconvenience: Because I have three cars (my wife's Eclipse GT, my Grand Cherokee, and the SGT), I'll need to actually drive one there - company policy only supports the shipment of 2 vehicles. Since New York to Vegas is no short hop, I would like to solicit the advice of my fellow Shelby brothers and sisters. The Jeep would probably be more comfortable, but the idea of making a cross-country road trip in a Shelby is the stuff of fantasy, right? Will the exhaust note make me nuts? How's reliability over long drives through the desert? My wife is willing to ride with me, I can see it being Heaven or Hell, as we share a great experience and/or relive a Chevy Chase movie for many many days straight... LOL

"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?"

Please throw any and all anecdotes, wisdom, and advice at me!

Jer

p.s. Guess my difficult search for a shop to perform my stripe and scoop replacement may simplify now, right?

Hi, Steve here in Bullhead City, AZ. about 2 hrs. south of L.V. Hot? Weather in Bullhead City, is really HOT but it's a "dry" heat. I go to L.V. occasionally either to fly out of LAS or take the Wife's Bentley to get it serviced at the L.V. Dealership. Las Vegas has it's good and bad points but if you don't like snow, you won't get much in L.V. Actually, in the winter it can get very cold and windy sometimes and I was there a few years ago staying at the Rio for a seminar and it did actually snow for about 2 hours in most of the area but gone quickley. Housing market there is really depressed and is a good time to buy but do your homework for the right area. Summerlin area is good. I am an Appraiser in AZ. and NV. and stay up on the housing markets not only in that area, but all areas. Like I said, good time to buy a home there. Las Vegas still is and has the most foreclosures in the entire U.S. Other than the above, L.V. has a lot to offer for the arts, entertainment, good medical facilities, etc. Don't know much about the schools though. OH, I'd drive the SGT if it's just the 2 of you, but I'd definately get a colgan bra for the front of the car. No matter what route you take, many of the roads across the country are in not very good condition and the trucks can pelt your car with rocks and debris. Your front end will take a serious beating if you do the drive without a bra on the front.

Steve

BHC AZ.

Archived