TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

I think your're right,and I'd buy that........I could care less about the Shelby name on that Mustang.Put that drive train in the regular Mustang and call it what you want.The prices on that Shelby now are a BIG JOKE,but it's the STUPID public that are driving the price up.Wait till these MORONS find out how bad they took it in the ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA! Ha! :wacko:

Ya,A-MEN 100 times,couldn't have said it better myself....... WOW!!!!

I will politely disagree on two points. First, the original Boss 302 wasn't targeted at max HP and neither should the next version. What defines the Boss IS balanced performance, a Mustang that accelerates, brakes and handles at an extraordinary level. The original Boss 302 Mustangs with NA screamers, no forced induction which rules out the force fed 5.4L in the GT500. Additionally, the '69 - '70 Boss Mustangs were light, tipping the scales at 3,250 lbs (credit to Dan for the specs). The current GT500 is a pig in terms of weight, registering in north of 3,900, due in part to the iron block 5.4L and all the attending S/C hardware. Therefore, the 5.4L GT500 engine is not an engine befitting a Boss Mustang. In order to produce a new Boss faithful to the original, Ford has to provide an engine of at least 5.0L, a minimum HP rating of 400, sparkling top end with a redline of at least 7,000+, light weight and clean, understated appearance. The Saleen PJ Mustang is a perfect example of what a Boss Mustang should look like with just a few more HP. Conceivably, Ford could offer two models, a Boss 302 model and a "big" Boss with a larger displacement but still naturally aspirated engine.

http://www.saleen.com/saleen-parnellijones.htm

Secondly, I doubt Ford will reuse the GT500 engine in another model, that would diminish the Shelby's appeal and perceived exclusivity.

I will agree that the GT500 is currently significantly overpriced. However, I do believe the prices will return to an MSRP or less level once the initial hype dies down and the supply of those willing to pay excessive prices dries up.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will politely disagree on two points. First, the original Boss 302 wasn't targeted at max HP and neither should the next version. What defines the Boss IS balanced performance, a Mustang that accelerates, brakes and handles at an extraordinary level. The original Boss 302 Mustangs with NA screamers, no forced induction which rules out the force fed 5.4L in the GT500. Additionally, the '69 - '70 Boss Mustangs were light, tipping the scales at 3,250 lbs (credit to Dan for the specs). The current GT500 is a pig in terms of weight, registering in north of 3,900, due in part to the iron block 5.4L and all the attending S/C hardware. Therefore, the 5.4L GT500 engine is not an engine befitting a Boss Mustang. In order to produce a new Boss faithful to the original, Ford has to provide an engine of at least 5.0L, a minimum HP rating of 400, sparkling top end with a redline of at least 7,000+, light weight and clean, understated appearance. The Saleen PJ Mustang is a perfect example of what a Boss Mustang should look like with just a few more HP. Conceivably, Ford could offer two models, a Boss 302 model and a "big" Boss with a larger displacement but still naturally aspirated engine.

http://www.saleen.com/saleen-parnellijones.htm

Secondly, I doubt Ford will reuse the GT500 engine in another model, that would diminish the Shelby's appeal and perceived exclusivity.

I will agree that the GT500 is currently significantly overpriced. However, I do believe the prices will return to an MSRP or less level once the initial hype dies down and the supply of those willing to pay excessive prices dries up.

+1 ...great post, Fanatic

....must keep out 'brethren' on the straight and narrow ;)

:hysterical:

Actually, being a Boss fan, I prefer the twisties to the straight and narrow.... :lol2:

Ahem, ...my faux pas, I see :)

Oh, I found these pics (credit is FoMoCo) of a blown 5.0 Cammer Ford used in the 1953 F-100 based "FR-100" UPS concept truck ...in 2003! It appears to use the same in-the-valley pre-cooler s/c design that I took pix of Dan Davis (Head of Ford racing engine development) showing at the 2005 SEMA-LV which he told me was still in development... hmmmm. Curious that it was a 600HP functional concept engine using Manley rods in 2003.

Since it's a 5.0L alloy it must be either a spray-bore or a stroked 4.6L -- I'm betting it was a 5.0 spray-bore (can't confirm that tho), but thought you'd enjoy these high-res pics if you hadn't seen them before:

post-4902-1158810581_thumb.jpg post-4902-1158810741_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1158810581_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1158810741_thumb.jpg

Ahem, ...my faux pas, I see :)

Oh, I found these pics (credit is FoMoCo) of a blown 5.0 Cammer Ford used in the 1953 F-100 based "FR-100" UPS concept truck ...in 2003! It appears to use the same in-the-valley pre-cooler s/c design that I took pix of Dan Davis (Head of Ford racing engine development) showing at the 2005 SEMA-LV which he told me was still in development... hmmmm. Curious that it was a 600HP functional concept engine using Manley rods in 2003.

Since it's a 5.0L alloy it must be either a spray-bore or a stroked 4.6L -- I'm betting it was a 5.0 spray-bore (can't confirm that tho), but thought you'd enjoy these high-res pics if you hadn't seen them before:

post-4902-1158810581_thumb.jpg post-4902-1158810741_thumb.jpg

OMG!!! :drool::drool: What an awesome engine!!! Now, all we have to do is convince Ford to put it between the frame rails of the Boss!! :) Thanks for sharing the pics!!

:doh: Boy, I missed that one!! Yeah, no S/C's on the Boss!! Thanks for keeping me straight, Dan!!

It's hard to spot it down in the valley there... wonder why they didn't do the GT500 that way -- especially since Dan Davis was personally showing it's follow-on version at SEMA 04 (the UPS concept was SEMA 03) as a work in progress.

Sure would make a nice s/c'd GT350 though <lol> except it would kick the GT500's butt -- can't have that. I always wanted so see one of the classic s/c'd GT350s but I think only 12-15 were ever made -- likely the fastest classic Shelby (dunno) ;)

It's hard to spot it down in the valley there... wonder why they didn't do the GT500 that way -- especially since Dan Davis was personally showing it's follow-on version at SEMA 04 (the UPS concept was SEMA 03) as a work in progress.

Sure would make a nice s/c'd GT350 though <lol> except it would kick the GT500's butt -- can't have that. I always wanted so see one of the classic s/c'd GT350s but I think only 12-15 were ever made -- likely the fastest classic Shelby (dunno) ;)

No doubt a S/C'd Cammer would thrash the GT500, especially if it was in a lighter weight car...that would definitely make a statement if Ford/Shelby were to offer such an animal.

I've only seen a few real GT350's in person but never a S/C version although we know they were produced (Paxton was the S/C manufacturer, correct?) Certainly, given the lighter weight of the '65 - '66 Shelbys, a S/C'd GT350 would be a real barn burner.

No doubt a S/C'd Cammer would thrash the GT500, especially if it was in a lighter weight car...that would definitely make a statement if Ford/Shelby were to offer such an animal.

I've only seen a few real GT350's in person but never a S/C version although we know they were produced (Paxton was the S/C manufacturer, correct?) Certainly, given the lighter weight of the '65 - '66 Shelbys, a S/C'd GT350 would be a real barn burner.

Yeah, Paxton centrifugal's I think. At least that's what Shelby called them. I mention that because the '57 T-bird and '57 Ford offered a Latham "axial-flow" supercharger which I believe was made by Norm Latham in Florida in the 50s and 60s, and I've seen several books call them Paxtons too (which they definately are not) and they also look VERY different -- the Paxtons look like turbos, the Lathams look like small jet impeller.

When I was about 10 a friend of my brother's bought a white '57 Ford vert with the T-bird Latham s/c'd engine (rated at 300 or 310 HP) and in that light car it was fast -- would light 'em up for 300+'. It was a really compact and durable unit -- occasionally original units still come up for sale and work fine ;)

I guess we should assume the Shelby's were actual Paxtons but I've never actually seen one. Probably not coincidentally, the Shelby CS6 kit uses a Paxton centrifugal too.

In the early 70s, Honda bike owners used to use the Ford polution-control air-injectors used on the 390 and 428 mustangs as supechargers -- ya gotta give 'em 'A' for creativeness ;)

Oh yeah, and it should be Grabber Orange in addition to being 'understated'...

Back_In_Black_002.jpg

That Steeda is nice -- I'd like it better with the fogs down in an enlarged lower opening and a black wire grille (or no grille -- just blacked-out). I'm hoping they'll base the Boss on the GT-R. Maybe something like this, but with a small, functional spoiler on a short pedestal.

post-4902-1159214061_thumb.jpg

Pitpup, did you create your avatar in Photoshop? Looks like you did more than just compress it -- it is cool.

post-4902-1159214061_thumb.jpg

Pitpup, did you create your avatar in Photoshop? Looks like you did more than just compress it -- it is cool.

I use Paint Shop Pro, but it's a similar program... Meanwhile...

I decided not to wait, 68fastback. So I pulled the trigger and built my own Boss. It's a cross between a Boss and a Mach. A 'Moss' or maybe a 'Bach'... hehe. I call it 'Back In Black' 'cause it started out all orange. :)

04_ThirdGlimpse.jpg

06_DaSplitter.jpg

07_DaHood2.jpg

Before the mirrors and stripes... (very orange due to overcast skies)

09_WinnerFord.jpg

Back_In_Black_001.jpg

Back_In_Black_003.jpg

Come to think of it, I've done a lot of 'mini' cars... here's the original from where the avatar came:

El_Diablo_75.jpg

For my car, I compressed the width to 70% of original and kept the height 100%. After I did this one... I got a little carried away and came up with this:

ChubCity.jpg

Then Jada Toys came out with this... and I knew my work here was done:

Vinny-Stang_01.jpg

Now... BACK ON TOPIC! BOSS MUSTANGS...

Pitpup, your ride is gorgeous -- I like the gloss black on the hood too -- easyier to care for and looks great! Is that sidestripe a Steeda transfer? I like the blend...

--------------

And your avatar is just plain cute! ;-) What a great design for a battery powered kids car!!!

-Dan

Pitpup, your ride is gorgeous -- I like the gloss black on the hood too -- easyier to care for and looks great! Is that sidestripe a Steeda transfer? I like the blend...

--------------

And your avatar is just plain cute! ;-) What a great design for a battery powered kids car!!!

-Dan

Dan,

Thank you for the kind words. Gloss for easy care, you nailed it. Matte was my first choice but as much as I detail the car, I'm afraid it would be a nightmare. Been collecting pics of Steedas and decided gloss was not so bad after all.

As for the Steeda Sidewinder stripe, it IS a transfer. I really liked the way the '04 Mach1 stripes fade away at the end, but I didn't want to put them on my car and hear all the 'poser' remarks. Plus, this stripe is 4.25" wide... wider than the Mach1 stripes (I believe... not sure). They LOOK wider, at least. I put them on myself yesterday morning in two hours. I'd never done anything like that before (unless you count 1/24th scale decals :) ) I was nervous, but desire won out over butterflies and they came out good. I'd do it again, if asked by any of my friends. Real happy with my choice of splitters and stripes.

Here's a comparison from the first night I brought the car home to how it looked tonight (7/5 versus 9/25):

Comparo_01.jpg

No regrets... other than Ford shoulda had a Boss in '06!!! But then, I would have missed the Grabber Orange. No matter what Big Blue comes out with in '09, I will not be sad. This is not an SE, but I can say I built it (as simple as it was to build).

Whipple/Saleen/YOUR CHOICE HERE and the car is complete. Leaning towards twin screw/4-5 lbs... but this will be in 2-3 years at least. I want to pay off the car.

I'll be checking here regularly... Keep me informed!

Stan

New Jersey

Dan,

Thank you for the kind words. Gloss for easy care, you nailed it. Matte was my first choice but as much as I detail the car, I'm afraid it would be a nightmare. Been collecting pics of Steedas and decided gloss was not so bad after all.

As for the Steeda Sidewinder stripe, it IS a transfer. I really liked the way the '04 Mach1 stripes fade away at the end, but I didn't want to put them on my car and hear all the 'poser' remarks. Plus, this stripe is 4.25" wide... wider than the Mach1 stripes (I believe... not sure). They LOOK wider, at least. I put them on myself yesterday morning in two hours. I'd never done anything like that before (unless you count 1/24th scale decals :) ) I was nervous, but desire won out over butterflies and they came out good. I'd do it again, if asked by any of my friends. Real happy with my choice of splitters and stripes.

Here's a comparison from the first night I brought the car home to how it looked tonight (7/5 versus 9/25):

Comparo_01.jpg

No regrets... other than Ford shoulda had a Boss in '06!!! But then, I would have missed the Grabber Orange. No matter what Big Blue comes out with in '09, I will not be sad. This is not an SE, but I can say I built it (as simple as it was to build).

Whipple/Saleen/YOUR CHOICE HERE and the car is complete. Leaning towards twin screw/4-5 lbs... but this will be in 2-3 years at least. I want to pay off the car.

I'll be checking here regularly... Keep me informed!

Stan

New Jersey

Thanks for all the pix, Stan -- you did a really beautiful job and that splitter is much like the GT-R but nicely color-keyed -- sweet! ...amazing how a few changes can transform the total look, and what a value the GT is! I'd sure be proud to own it.

;)

-Dan

Catskills of NY

Stan, I'll add to Dan's cpmments, righteous ride!!! I certainly agree, you should not have any regrets with such a beautiful 'Stang!! If Ford doesn't offer a Boss from the factory, I'll certainly follow your lead in a couple of years once I get my new house (and garage) in order.

Thanks for all the pix, Stan -- you did a really beautiful job and that splitter is much like the GT-R but nicely color-keyed -- sweet! ...amazing how a few changes can transform the total look, and what a value the GT is! I'd sure be proud to own it.

;)

-Dan

Catskills of NY

And that's the key... 'a few changes'. I didn't want to go over the top and lose the basic car. I like the stock hood, although there are aftermarket hoods that are sharp. I like the rear wing. Looks like the '60/'70 wings of old. (OK, kinda!) You're the first to notice that the splitter is VERY much like Ford's GT-R. Just not black. I'm a big believer of 'less is more'. Great... er... OUR minds think alike!

Stan, I'll add to Dan's cpmments, righteous ride!!! I certainly agree, you should not have any regrets with such a beautiful 'Stang!! If Ford doesn't offer a Boss from the factory, I'll certainly follow your lead in a couple of years once I get my new house (and garage) in order.

I think my love for Grabber Orange outweighed my love for the Boss (of any color... like 'em all) so I had to get an '07 based on color alone. I thought about waiting until the next Boss came out and take the graphics package and put it on my car. (Can YOU say 'poser'?) But then I thought... I may not even like the graphics package that will come out on the Boss. And I'll have waited for nothing. So I can drive it now... looks close enough for this near 50 guy, and I can save my money up for the go fast goodies. (Thinking Saleen twin screw s/c with 4 - 5 lbs...)

I'll still follow this Boss thread 'cause the car is going to be neat once it comes. Glad I could throw some ideas your way. You know, the ones I got from Steeda! Ha ha ha.

Stan in NJ RunningGrabber.jpg

I would say the new Boss Mustang will probably be introduced in the

summer of 2007. I got some inside info from an AAI peron that a Boss

will be built i the near future.

Maybe after the Shelby GT500 run is over.

Guess we will have to stay tuned for more info on the Boss. The GT500 will be in production at least through the end of 2008.

That's what I had heard too... that Boss is next and that plan is proceeding full speed -- that was as of July. Peson said he direct contact to someone working the plan. Who knows?!

-Dan

That's what I had heard too... that Boss is next and that plan is proceeding full speed -- that was as of July. Peson said he direct contact to someone working the plan. Who knows?!

-Dan

That is very encouraging that we are hearing the same story from multiple sources. However, I'm truly surprised that nothing has "leaked" out from Ford about the Boss. I also highly doubt Ford would introduce two SE Mustangs in the same model year, a Boss and a Bullitt. The picture will certainly get much clearer as the winter show season approaches. Looking forward to the new developments.

That is very encouraging that we are hearing the same story from multiple sources. However, I'm truly surprised that nothing has "leaked" out from Ford about the Boss. I also highly doubt Ford would introduce two SE Mustangs in the same model year, a Boss and a Bullitt. The picture will certainly get much clearer as the winter show season approaches. Looking forward to the new developments.

My Dealer said that the Bullitt will be a package on a Mustang Gt like the

California package deal not special vehicle like the Shleby GT500.

I think Ford will pick up the Shelby Gt500 pace and start the Boss in the

summer of 2008.

My Dealer said that the Bullitt will be a package on a Mustang Gt like the

California package deal not special vehicle like the Shleby GT500.

I think Ford will pick up the Shelby Gt500 pace and start the Boss in the

summer of 2008.

From what has been stated by other sources, it would seem you are correct - the Bullitt will take the place of the GT/CS package in MY '08 and be nothing more than another tape-n-stripe model.

-Dan

I heard the same thing. Boss for '08!!! :happy feet: Maybe SEMA will reveal, but I suspect it will be Detroit.

~Chris

I heard the same thing. Boss for '08!!! :happy feet: Maybe SEMA will reveal, but I suspect it will be Detroit.

~Chris

It seems there are lots of rumors flying about but little more than that. I do agree, we should start to see more concrete developments in the coming months.

In the interim, let me muse for a moment....it would seem the Bullitt is confirmed for MY '08 but we hear persistent rumors that the Boss will also return. Conceivably the Boss could debut in calendar year 2008 as a MY '09 model in similar fashion to the GT500. One other thing we should consider, it would seem we are all assuming that there will be only one Boss model produced. It is possible that Ford could rather easily produce two Boss Mustangs at different points in time. They could introduce a "baby" Boss with approximately 5.0L's of mod-motor displacement in the final production year of the current body style to create demand and deflect some attention from the introduction of cross town rivals. Then in the debut of the restyled Mustang (likely in MY '10) introduce a "big" Boss model with the new "Boss" (aka Hurricane) engine series. Just a thought....the only issue I see with that scenario is how I can squeeze both into my garage!!! :happy feet: Hmmm, might just need a bigger garage... :rolleyes: :censored: there I go dreaming again....

~Steve

It seems there are lots of rumors flying about but little more than that. I do agree, we should start to see more concrete developments in the coming months.

In the interim, let me muse for a moment....it would seem the Bullitt is confirmed for MY '08 but we hear persistent rumors that the Boss will also return. Conceivably the Boss could debut in calendar year 2008 as a MY '09 model in similar fashion to the GT500. One other thing we should consider, it would seem we are all assuming that there will be only one Boss model produced. It is possible that Ford could rather easily produce two Boss Mustangs at different points in time. They could introduce a "baby" Boss with approximately 5.0L's of mod-motor displacement in the final production year of the current body style to create demand and deflect some attention from the introduction of cross town rivals. Then in the debut of the restyled Mustang (likely in MY '10) introduce a "big" Boss model with the new "Boss" (aka Hurricane) engine series. Just a thought....the only issue I see with that scenario is how I can squeeze both into my garage!!! :happy feet: Hmmm, might just need a bigger garage... :rolleyes: :censored: there I go dreaming again....

~Steve

Good dreams, Steve! ;-)

---

Not sure if I posted this (hit that nasty "exceeded 20% of CPU stuff and lost a post) but I was thinking that Ford could run two primary tracks: muscle/drag (track-1) and road/twisties (track-2). Maybe there's also the GT variants (track-3) and Shelby Autos (track-4) [GT-variant-variants] ;-). Historical analogues shown below each.

Track-1: '07 GT500, Mach?, GT500KR?, ...

---------- ('67 GT350, '68 GT500/KR, '69-? Machs)

Track-2: BabyBoss5.0?, BigBoss5.8?, ...

---------- ('69 thru '71 Bosses)

Track-3: 'thru '07 GT, GT/CS, Bullitt?, ...

---------- (many '65 thru ?? GTs, '67 Eleanor 'Bullitt')

Track-4: '06 ShelbyGT-H, '07 Shelby GT, GT350?, ...

---------- ('65 thru ?? Shelby GT-H, Shelby GT350/R)

You could even consider the base mustang as a 5th track, which might not heat up until the 3.5V6 replaces the old German 4.0V6.

Track-5: '09 Mustang3.5V6-SVT

---------- (CS6 kit: a concept test?)

Maybe the CS6 was a test-case for a base peformance track which Ford nixed because they saw little sense in sharing attention unnecessarily with the higher-margin V8 offerings or because they saw little reason to kick-up the V6 until the strategic 3.5V6 comes to the mustang in MY'09(?) -- at which point an SVT Fusion engine could port right over to the base Mustang as a new V6 performance track with a distinct audience.

But, back to the 'good-stuff' ...it would seem Ford has through MY'09 to play out 'historically-correct' 40th anniversary mustang SEs as the major offerings however they like. Although Ford has said two-year runs with a new one every year (which equates to two concurrent model tracks), the GT is sort of another base altogether and the Shelby Autos cars would seem like another -- at least until SA kicks up the performance, which supposedly is coming soon/eventually per a couple of AmyB posts here and on SA forums.

Then, in MY'10 (earlier?) competition will presumeably influence at least tracks-1 & -2 a lot more, while track-3 & -4 would seem to be able to run somewhat independently. Supposedly, MY'12 will be an all-new ground-up (and radical looking) mustang -- from the R&T concept sketches it appears to have no way to fit a rear seat. Could this be Ford concept-testing for the 50+ year-old 'hole' in their product line -- a two-seater performance coupe? Could the Shelby Mustang GR-1 slot in there? And what about the superb 2004 Shelby Cobra concept (605HP 390CID V10 mod) which I would have thought would have been staged to quickly follow the Ford-GT next year -- seems unlikely now.

Regardless of how Ford may need to play the above tracks (just my conceptual views) it would seem that straight-line and curve-carver tracks are a minimum for the mustang and any other 'tracks' would seem to be based on what can be done quickly from the FRP parts bin by Ford and/or SA based on market opportunities or historical 'holes.'

The beauty of this approach, I think, is that, for example, if Ford senses expectation for a Boss to be higher than reasonably achieveable for a given engineering base, they can just plug in a tape+FRP Bullitt on that track and/or an SA quick-response gap-filler and push off the expectation-filler for another model year/base.

Of course, what they specifically do with any of the above is up to them to decide -- and us to speculate on ;)

-Dan

Wow, guys. I am impressed (not as if you all need my compliments). Great, logical thoughts! What scares me is that corporations are rarely logical, and are driven by stockholder's rabid demands for short-term profits. :baby:

The only saving graces for these cars are the facts that:

1) The Mustang has been a great seller for Ford & the dealers;

2) Ford needs to develop a new motor;

3) These SE's have driven so much traffic, interest , and free press for Ford & the dealers that GM & DC are emulating this.

Lucky for us that logic works for the Mustang and Ford shareholders!!! B)

After re-thinking about all I have read/heard through various grapevines- I highly suspect that between SEMA and the Detroit show (I strongly suspect SEMA, and I won't comment why) we will see the announcement of the GT350 Shelby, an option upgrade for the upcoming Shelby GT. I suspect the Boss will be announced by SEMA or late spring of '07 as an '08. Bullett will be a tape/stripe/wheel package.

Logic dictates that Ford roll these out as the Camaro/Challenger aren't out yet, maximizing a return on this platform before they do. This also pre-emptively sucks up some of the competition's market, since those who recently bought these muscle cars won't be in the market for a Camaro/Challenger. When the "all new" platform for the Mustang rolls out, those who purchased the '05+ Mustangs will be preparing to purchase again. So, strategically, this makes sense. Let's hope Ford sees it this way too!

Archived