TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The PJ Saleen Boss is a nice car but is out of the price range of most

normal Boss people. We can afford a $35,000-39,000 dollar new Boss.

But not the $60,000 PJ Saleen Boss even though they are nice ???.

The PJ Saleen Boss is a nice car but is out of the price range of most

normal Boss people. We can afford a $35,000-39,000 dollar new Boss.

But not the $60,000 PJ Saleen Boss even though they are nice ???.

Definitely agree, the PJ Saleen is a sweet ride but out of many people's price range (myself included). A Boss Mustang has to deliver the same level of performance as the PJ for the price range you specified so we can :shift:

Definitely agree, the PJ Saleen is a sweet ride but out of many people's price range (myself included). A Boss Mustang has to deliver the same level of performance as the PJ for the price range you specified so we can :shift:

Flying out to Vegas tomorrow with my wife -- camera batteries charged <lol>

Hope so! :rockon:

Hope I'm lucky and bump into Dan Davis again... he's the man!

:shift:

It will be a NEW Modular 5.0 N.A. Boss 302 ( I think 375 hp) with the stripping like the original over the hood (from fender to fender) & down the sides (like PJ's) & has the shelby GT500 suspension & a stripped out interior for less weight. Now go get some photos of it.

It will be a NEW Modular 5.0 N.A. Boss 302 ( I think 375 hp) with the stripping like the original over the hood (from fender to fender) & down the sides (like PJ's) & has the shelby GT500 suspension & a stripped out interior for less weight. Now go get some photos of it.

Spoken someone who has inside knowledge!! Let's hope you are 100% accurate and Dan snaps up those pics. If so, I can hardly wait to place my order!!!! :happy feet:

That'd be sweet if they went the PJ route and did a Watts link rear suspension setup instead of the GT500 panhard rod approach. The pan-hard rod, although superior than a basic live axle setup, does have more lateral movement and is prone to binding at the edge of the rod arch compared to the Watts link setup.

This is the approach that a Boss design should take IMHO.

Chuck

Spoken someone who has inside knowledge!! Let's hope you are 100% accurate and Dan snaps up those pics. If so, I can hardly wait to place my order!!!! :happy feet:

You're wish is my command :)

Can't wait till next week!!!

That'd be sweet if they went the PJ route and did a Watts link rear suspension setup instead of the GT500 panhard rod approach. The pan-hard rod, although superior than a basic live axle setup, does have more lateral movement and is prone to binding at the edge of the rod arch compared to the Watts link setup.

This is the approach that a Boss design should take IMHO.

Chuck

Yeah, Watts works well -- had that setup on my 68 Intermecchanica Italia Torino (Ford 302 and Ford 9" with watts in a 2400lb aluminum-bodied Ferrari-like). The Watts is totally linear, as you imply -- very nice. Still, I'd rather see an IRS. A Boss 302 screams for an IRS, IMHO ;)

Coldwater, you da man!!! Thanks! Did they do a new intake or just port the heads to match NA-cammed Ford GT heads? or?

My little camera can't see that porting and it's so hard to sneak a 8' Colonoscope into SEMA if you're not a proctologist :hysterical: -- but I'd try it if... BoneDoc, got any proctologist friends :hysterical2: need some "specialty equipment" for SEMA <lol>

You're wish is my command :)

Can't wait till next week!!!

Yeah, Watts works well -- had that setup on my 68 Intermecchanica Italia Torino (Ford 302 and Ford 9" with watts in a 2400lb aluminum-bodied Ferrari-like). The Watts is totally linear, as you imply -- very nice. Still, I'd rather see an IRS. A Boss 302 screams for an IRS, IMHO ;)

Coldwater, you da man!!! Thanks! Did they do a new intake or just port the heads to match NA-cammed Ford GT heads? or?

My little camera can't see that porting and it's so hard to sneak a 8' Colonoscope into SEMA if you're not a proctologist :hysterical: -- but I'd try it if... BoneDoc, got any proctologist friends :hysterical2: need some "specialty equipment" for SEMA <lol>

All I know is what my rep told me. he was leery to give details, just kept saying wait until SEMA. The description I wrote was a article from a mag dated Oct 2006 (not sure which one but they were 99% sure it was a done deal)

All I know is what my rep told me. he was leery to give details, just kept saying wait until SEMA. The description I wrote was a article from a mag dated Oct 2006 (not sure which one but they were 99% sure it was a done deal)

hope so -- I'm still optimistic ;)

Well it looks like the Boss 302 will be back in 2009 model year as per Ford

The 302 Boss enegine will be placed in the new F150 also and can be bought next year 2007

There may be two different things going on here:

Ford has trademarked BOSS as an engine brand (several months ago) and the rumors have been they will debut in the F-series (actually the rumor was in the Super-duty I believe). So "BOSS" engine may have nothing to do with Boss302/Mustang.

Where did you hear this 1970Boss? Any link or additional info?

-Dan

java script:emoticon(':cheerleader:', 'smid_5')

:cheerleader:

I have contacted my Ford dealer and have already been placed on the

list for a 2009 Mustang Boss 302. I hope they offer a yellow color to

go with the yellow 1970 Boss 302 we have now.

java script:emoticon(':bandance:', 'smid_2')

:bandance:

Well Ford has said it will build a 302 engine in 2007 and come out with

2009 Mustang Boss model. I can not wait to see the new Boss Mustang

but Ford better get it's act together or the end maybe coming for Ford.

They can't continnue to lose money at the rate they are now.

Ford can't hold anything back and should be making all the cars/trucks it can

the customers who have orders in. The Japs kicked us in the ass at Pearl Harbor

and I don't want to see it happen to the American car industry.

java script:emoticon(':rant:', 'smid_15')

:rant:

I contacted my Dealer about getting on the list for a new 2009 Boss 302

I was told that there will probably be a MSRP mark up for the Boss 302

I am thinking about going the aftercar market and getting the paint

and stripping done myself at a reduced price. I can take a car and

make it a Boss without paying a big MSRP mark up and enjoy it.

What are you looking for in the 2009 Mustang Boss 302 ????

What woulld you pay for the 2009 Boss 302 ???????

Are you getting a Shelby GT500 or waiting for the Boss 302 ????

Lightweight balanced no-frills curve-carver with a killer OHC alloy NA rev-happy oversquare Boss 302 -- 400HP @ 7,500rpm -- preferable based on the new Boss block (alloy version) or rumored alloy no-longer-Hurricane OHC motor.

35-38K

The Boss is more to my taste than the GT500, not that I don't love the GT500... I'd die for the Boss ;)

So, I guess I'm waiting to see. If Ford does the Boss right it will be a big hit, IMO -- again ;)

Lightweight balanced no-frills curve-carver with a killer OHC alloy NA rev-happy oversquare Boss 302 -- 400HP @ 7,500rpm -- preferable based on the new Boss block (alloy version) or rumored alloy no-longer-Hurricane OHC motor.

35-38K

The Boss is more to my taste than the GT500, not that I don't love the GT500... I'd die for the Boss ;)

So, I guess I'm waiting to see. If Ford does the Boss right it will be a big hit, IMO -- again ;)

Any rumors of IRS? I think the saleen approach is awesome with a NA 400hp 302, it has a watts-link suspension which is a modern throwback to the original race car that Parnelli won with in 1970...

Any modern iteration from FMC with Boss on it should have at least the watts-link rather than panhard rod and if done correctly should have IRS... Without it there won't be too much curve carving going on compared to the competition -- read M3, or even camaro when it comes with IRS.

Chuck

35-38K

+2!!! Dan is my long lost twin!!! :shift: The Boss needs the engine Dan described along with taunt handling and stellar braking. Additionally, I would agree with Chuck that an IRS is mandatory. To me, the Boss is about well-balanced performance - an American version of an M3 if you will - a car that performs in all categories and is not strictly limited to acceleration contests. Make that two of us who would die for a Boss as described above!!! :banana piano:

How much do you think the 2009 Mustang Boss 302 will cost ??????????????

Do you think the MSRP will be marked up and how much ??????????????????

What colors should the 2009 Mustang Boss 302 have ??????????????????????

How about you input on the above and more ?????????????????????????????

Well, hopefully the interior will be basic: adequate audio, small functional console, etc. No DVD/Shaker1000/leather/luxo-crap ;-) ...maybe around $35K (should cost, not necessarilywill cost ;-)

Mark ups? As long as there are some sealers who will whore them (fortunately a relatively small number of dealers) ADMs will prevail I would think. Maybe if Ford sells its AAI share to Mazda and moves mustang to it's new home (wherever that turns out to be), builds can flow differently and not drag out so much -- dunno.

Colors? matters little to me -- it's all about the car... if it only came in white I'd be happy -- really. It could say Boss on the sides and maybe have an option pack (stripes, shaker hood) I don't need slats, but some will want them (aftermarket?) or, for my money, keet it cheap and have it just look like a plain-Jane from the outside as long as it's tastefull ;-) It's what it has and what it can do that matters to me.

Just want it to be a true all-round performer: high-revving, preferably oversquare (a problem on the modular's bore-spacing, but I'd live with that for now), NA screamer. At least 400HP (no less -- 425 is better ;-) LIGHTWEIGHT, superb handling and balance. Five-spd is ok with me with the right gear spacing for the NA motor's curves. Lightweight tooth-spoked wheels would be right-on (like the '70 TA racer) ...consistent with what a Boss should be ;-)

There's another thread where we talked much more about specifics...

How much do you think the 2009 Mustang Boss 302 will cost ??????????????

Do you think the MSRP will be marked up and how much ??????????????????

What colors should the 2009 Mustang Boss 302 have ??????????????????????

How about you input on the above and more ?????????????????????????????

Here is my opinion on your questions:

Most likely MSRP for the 2009 Boss 302 Mustang: $35K - $37K, initial ADM - unknown but probably $5k+

Colors: Doesn't really matter to me as long as black is one of the options (preferably metallic black) :drool: Honestly, I would believe Ford will offer the standard suite of colors with one or two "Grabber" colors thrown in for a nostalgic persepctive

Content for the 2009 Boss 302 Mustang: It's been discussed elsewhere at length but my personal opinion is as follows:

Interior: Overall content should be basic with A/C and a decent stereo. No leather, heated seats, GPS system, Satellite radio, cruise control, Mach stereo options or other "luxury" appointments. The only investments Ford should provide here is on a decent set of well-bolstered cloth bucket seats.

Exterior: It can have the base V6 appearance or at the very least something similar to the PJ Saleen or maybe the GT/CS. Make features like the Boss stripes, Shaker Hood, Rear Window slats optional for those seeking a look identical to the original. As with the interior, Ford shouldn't spend much in terms of development dollars here

Engine/Driveline: Here is where Ford needs to bring the goods, a 400 hp NA 5.0L engine based on the up-coming Boss engine series (aka Hurricane). The engine needs to have the serious performance hardware from the factory, forged rods, pistons and crank with high tensile aluminum alloy block and heads. A broad powerbarnd with a factory redline of 7K. But the hard parts should be there for those that want to turn up the wick in the aftermarket without costly upgrades. Trans choice should be tight ratio 6 spd to keep the engine in it's sweet spot

Suspenion/Brakes: Again, here is where Ford needs to provide the serious pieces. A rear IRS (like the Aussie based Control Blade IRS) proper springs, sway bars and stiffening bars to provide an excellent handling car. Brakes must be top shelf with serious stopping capability, ideally 14" multi-piston fronts with 13" single or dual piston rears.

Fanatic, great summary!!!

I must admit I was in a hurry -- it was 1:30AM and wifey was giving me 'looks' <lol> I even forgot IRS!!! What was I thinking! :doh:

Actually, I suspect Ford knows what a Boss 302 needs to be; we're just keeping them honest (hopefully) on where they can't cut corners.

Got my fingers and toes crossed :baby:

<edit: no pun intended>

Fanatic, great summary!!!

I must admit I was in a hurry -- it was 1:30AM and wifey was giving me 'looks' <lol> I even forgot IRS!!! What was I thinking! :doh:

Actually, I suspect Ford knows what a Boss 302 needs to be; we're just keeping them honest (hopefully) on where they can't cut corners.

Got my fingers and toes crossed :baby:

<edit: no pun intended>

Dan, given the care and depth of your posts, a slight omission can certainly be overlooked!! :hysterical: Besides, it sounds like you had a much better offer!! :)

Archived