TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

With the news on Blueoval about turbocharged 4 and 6 cylinder Ford engines

there could be a Boss with a V6 with power and economy

I have a 1970 Boss 302 and the new Boss does not have to be like

the older Boss's. The new Shelby GT500 has 500 HP with out a big block 428

why does the new Boss 302 need a 302 ci engine. It could be a Boss 429

using a 4.6 liter engine or a Boss 302 using a V6 engine.

Agreed!

Think in modern terms, not 100% retro. The 69 302 was the hottest 302 Ford could build at the time, with 290 hp, which was roughly 25% more powerful than a stock 68-69 302-4V (the engine in my 68 coupe). So, to live up to it's name, all you should really "need" in a modern boss is about 360 hp. That's doable with a Mustang GT and about $1000 in bolt-on parts. Better yet, $2000 in parts and include new cams for closer to 380 hp.

RUF... that's a shame! :) it seems the guys who can afford cars like a Z06 or a GT500 don't actually drive them very much. But don't you read the reviews on Edmunds, etc? The Vette is a terrible road racer. Those vette guys are feeding you weird stew. European reviewers all mock the vette as a poser that can't corner worth a crap. Or are you talking about modified vettes?

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw this over on BON... I asked for the source:

A "TwinForce" 6.2 L DOHC 4-valve, twin-turbo, GDI version of the Boss is currently being developed and has reportedly produced over 650 ft·lbf (881 N·m) in initial testing."

More credible details about the new engine are provided in HOT ROD March 2008, page 19 (next to the 2008 Bullitt feature). Photos provided of the SOHC truck block describe it as "heat-treated cast iron with deep-skirted crankcase and cross-bolted mains."

"Larger but similar in layout to the Modular V-8, the Boss block is built on 4.54-inch bore centers, allowing significantly larger bore diameters than the current engine family. Naturally, that means larger displacements: 6.2 liters in its initial form with the capacity to go over 7.0 liters. The Boss engine is scheduled to debut in Ford's all-new F-150 truck line in 2009 and in the Mustang in 2010."

Who was it who predicted 2010? I think it was RUFDRAFT? Good call, man!

With the news on Blueoval about turbocharged 4 and 6 cylinder Ford engines

there could be a Boss with a V6 with power and economy

I have a 1970 Boss 302 and the new Boss does not have to be like

the older Boss's. The new Shelby GT500 has 500 HP with out a big block 428

why does the new Boss 302 need a 302 ci engine. It could be a Boss 429

using a 4.6 liter engine or a Boss 302 using a V6 engine.

I wasn't fortunate enough to own one of the original Boss 302's (and now they are out of my price range). I would prefer to see Ford produce a new Boss 302 powered by a 5.0L V8 engine. Having said that however, I don't see why Ford could not develop other Boss models powered by a variety of engines, just don't use previous Boss nameplates unless the displacement is accurate. A boosted V6 would make for a nicely balanced Mustang with good power, handling and fuel economy. Personally, I think Ford should produce such a model. It doesn't matter what is officially called although Twister has a nice ring to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember those -- they were more like dust devils :hysterical2:

...I think he's talking about the Ford Twister Specials: 96 specially-prepped 1970 428 and 351C TS Mach-Is and 90 specially prepped 1970 TS Torino 429SC and 429 SCJ Cobras logo'd as Twister Specials were pretty special cars :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...
I remember those -- they were more like dust devils :hysterical2:

...I think he's talking about the Ford Twister Specials: 96 specially-prepped 1970 428 and 351C TS Mach-Is and 90 specially prepped 1970 TS Torino 429SC and 429 SCJ Cobras logo'd as Twister Specials were pretty special cars :happy feet:

Call it a 2010 Boss but I still think FOrd will be bring out a Boss Mustang in the summer of

2009. And you heard it here first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's what I've been saying for some time now ...an 'MY10 in the spring of '09. My bet is April but magazines/rumors are anywhere from Jan to June. I suspect they'll launch the whole refreshed family early and debut it at NYIAS in April -- the 45th anniversay date and location of the original mustang ...that would make a lot of sense to me but who knows?

We're just puzzling over the motor itself. If it's gonna be a BOSS302, oversquare (not an undersquare stroker), and a modular, it would seem it's gotta be that mystery siamesed block with cross-drilled cooling added. The aluminator 4.6 alloy block would be super but no way to get it to 302 with bore and have cooling betw the cylinders. And the Spray Bore Cammer would be superb, but seems unlikely Ford will put spray-bore into production.

We shall see ;-)

• 1 month later...
Yeah, that's what I've been saying for some time now ...an 'MY10 in the spring of '09. My bet is April but magazines/rumors are anywhere from Jan to June. I suspect they'll launch the whole refreshed family early and debut it at NYIAS in April -- the 45th anniversay date and location of the original mustang ...that would make a lot of sense to me but who knows?

We're just puzzling over the motor itself. If it's gonna be a BOSS302, oversquare (not an undersquare stroker), and a modular, it would seem it's gotta be that mystery siamesed block with cross-drilled cooling added. The aluminator 4.6 alloy block would be super but no way to get it to 302 with bore and have cooling betw the cylinders. And the Spray Bore Cammer would be superb, but seems unlikely Ford will put spray-bore into production.

We shall see ;-)

Looks like it's getting to be time to warm up the 1970 Yellow Boss 302 that sat in the

garage all winter long. Would be nice Ford to have a 2010 Boss to sit along side of it ??

I have had a tough choice to make this week. The local Ford dealership has two '08 GT500s--one red, one grabber orange. Since I've been fostering a relationship with several sales people over the years, I've been offered the red GT500 at MSRP, which is around $45000.

I can only afford to own one car at a time, and although my '06 GT is paid off, the resale value is only about $20k. I would hate to lose 10 grand of value in only two years, unless I imagine amortizing the cost over the past two years. d

I'm tempted. VERY tempted! I could so easily imagine dropping off my screaming yellow 06 and driving home in that new Shelby.

But, in addition to the loss of value in my trade-in, I have a nagging feeling that within two years Ford will release a new Boss Mustang!

Furthermore, I just got a $200/month raise at work, and even worse, my wife loves the Shelby and wants to go for it. (sigh)

I'm so torn and can't decide!!! ;-()

I have had a tough choice to make this week. The local Ford dealership has two '08 GT500s--one red, one grabber orange. Since I've been fostering a relationship with several sales people over the years, I've been offered the red GT500 at MSRP, which is around $45000.

I can only afford to own one car at a time, and although my '06 GT is paid off, the resale value is only about $20k. I would hate to lose 10 grand of value in only two years, unless I imagine amortizing the cost over the past two years. d

I'm tempted. VERY tempted! I could so easily imagine dropping off my screaming yellow 06 and driving home in that new Shelby.

But, in addition to the loss of value in my trade-in, I have a nagging feeling that within two years Ford will release a new Boss Mustang!

Furthermore, I just got a $200/month raise at work, and even worse, my wife loves the Shelby and wants to go for it. (sigh)

I'm so torn and can't decide!!! ;-()

I understand your situation. We have in our garage a 1970 Boss 302 that my wife bought

for my 50th birthday. We also have a 2008 Shelby GT500 I bought fro her 50th Birthday.

When Ford comes out with a Boss we will have to decide what to do also ????

My wife really likes the Shelby because it's easy for her to drive.

I understand your situation. We have in our garage a 1970 Boss 302 that my wife bought

for my 50th birthday. We also have a 2008 Shelby GT500 I bought fro her 50th Birthday.

When Ford comes out with a Boss we will have to decide what to do also ????

My wife really likes the Shelby because it's easy for her to drive.

The red GT500 didn't last long, but they still have the grabber orange one. I'm glad I didn't bite. Let someone else take the depreciation and sales tax hit, and I'll pick up a used one in about two years for 30-something.

• 2 weeks later...
The red GT500 didn't last long, but they still have the grabber orange one. I'm glad I didn't bite. Let someone else take the depreciation and sales tax hit, and I'll pick up a used one in about two years for 30-something.

Is there anyone out there with information on when Ford is going to

make the new Boss Mustang ??? It has been a long time since we have

heard anything about the BOSS. Let's get cracking fellows.

Is there anyone out there with information on when Ford is going to

make the new Boss Mustang ??? It has been a long time since we have

heard anything about the BOSS. Let's get cracking fellows.

windsor getting 6.2L hurricane engine and possibly the 5.0L...lets hope the 5.0L is a CGI block..boss with CGI 5.0L would be very very nice..boss will be a 2010 model..if it ever happens

windsor getting 6.2L hurricane engine and possibly the 5.0L...lets hope the 5.0L is a CGI block..boss with CGI 5.0L would be very very nice..boss will be a 2010 model..if it ever happens

Ford is a reactionary company. They don't have any long term plans. Whatever you get in 2010 will be what they decide to build on December 31, 2009.

Exaggeration aside... I wouldn't hold my breath for a Boss. Who knows what Ford will do next? The Bullitt just came out. For all intents and purposes, that's good enough...what with the GT500, the KR, the Shelby GT, and all the Roush and Saleen models all over the place.... where would a new Boss even fit in to this crazy market? Mustangs are everywhere. Everyone is tuning them. It's a crowded market.

Ford is a reactionary company. They don't have any long term plans. Whatever you get in 2010 will be what they decide to build on December 31, 2009.

Exaggeration aside... I wouldn't hold my breath for a Boss. Who knows what Ford will do next? The Bullitt just came out. For all intents and purposes, that's good enough...what with the GT500, the KR, the Shelby GT, and all the Roush and Saleen models all over the place.... where would a new Boss even fit in to this crazy market? Mustangs are everywhere. Everyone is tuning them. It's a crowded market.

...not to mention fuel prices, the new CAFE regs, etc....but, I think Ford will do it for the sales it will generate....

BOSS comes next year -- timing uncertain ...I was hearing early '09 but was told recently it will not be at job-1 ...later in the year.

As far as where it fits, since it will be a real curve-carver, 5.0L modified modular, DOHC, alloy block, 400+HP. That fits a totally unaddressed niche, imo. No word on whether it will/won't have IRS. I'm told a TT version is also being tested but with no plan to produce (at present).

There are a lot of folks that want a light, warranteed, factory curve-carver with real power... presently Ford doesn't have one of those. I think there's a solid market for it -- especially at a fraction of the cost of a Saleen.

Dan

...not to mention fuel prices, the new CAFE regs, etc....but, I think Ford will do it for the sales it will generate....

Hmm. Ford sold 133,000 Mustangs during 2007. I don't think they need a Boss to generate sales. The Shelby models and the Bullitt are the specialties...there's no room for a Boss in the lineup next year, because Ford already confirmed that the GT500 and the Bullitt will return in 09 (which I feel is really frustrating).

As far as where it fits, since it will be a real curve-carver, 5.0L modified modular, DOHC, alloy block, 400+HP. That fits a totally unaddressed niche, imo. No word on whether it will/won't have IRS. I'm told a TT version is also being tested but with no plan to produce (at present).

Let's just be honest here...there's no word about IRS because there's no word about anything. The engine you describe is the Aluminator. That would be awesome, but will Ford really waranty a production car with it?

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm. Ford sold 133,000 Mustangs during 2007. I don't think they need a Boss to generate sales. The Shelby models and the Bullitt are the specialties...there's no room for a Boss in the lineup next year, because Ford already confirmed that the GT500 and the Bullitt will return in 09 (which I feel is really frustrating).

Let's just be honest here...there's no word about IRS because there's no word about anything. The engine you describe is the Aluminator. That would be awesome, but will Ford really waranty a production car with it?

Ford Australia President said that the 5.0 engine is a go for the Mustang.

Hope to see a Boss 302 in late 2009 .

• 2 weeks later...

Since the '10MYs will likely launch rather early (1Q'09?), the Boss could arrive in summer '09 on the typical J1 schedule :spiteful: ...hope so. If they wait much past July I think it's too late from a marketing p.o.v.

5.0 long-sleeve alloy, 3.63 x 3.65 seems about right ;-)

Since the '10MYs will likely launch rather early (1Q'09?), the Boss could arrive in summer '09 on the typical J1 schedule :spiteful: ...hope so. If they wait much past July I think it's too late from a marketing p.o.v.

5.0 long-sleeve alloy, 3.63 x 3.65 seems about right ;-)

With all this talk of rising gasoline prices who knows when and for how long Ford

will offer a Mustang Boss ?????

If gasoline prices get to $ 4 a gallon the economy will tank .

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, that could slow things down for some, but I think for many these cars won't see daily-driver use so gas may not be much of a problem. Who knows?

Anyone out there have any info on the Mustang Boss ???????????????

The aluminator is a 4.6. The BOSS 5.0 is a revised modular with longer sleeves... approx 3.63 x 3.65 b/s. Everything I hear is that the BOSS is 100% real. The '10MY mustang will be an early release but the BOSS won't be on the accelerated launch schedule -- later in the year ...likely around typical job-1 dates (summer).

I'd tell you more but then I'd have to :superhero: ..well, you know. :hysterical:

Dan

Archived