TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

Great first post!

Welcome.

You spoke with Him? Awesome!

And what a car he and Saleen came up with.

Now - if we can get "Bill" to listen - perhaps Flat Rock can do something similar that the rest of us can afford.

Good Form!

Did I get it right Ruf? LOL :hysterical:

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Parnelli Jones awhile back. We talked about the Saleen PJ and he told me it came about when he approached Saleen about building a tribute of his 69 TA Mustang. In talking about it, Parnelli came to the conclusion he didnt really want the 69 as it was pretty raw in driving on the street. So they began discussing doing the tribute with a S197, and the Saleen PJ is the result, nothing to do with Ford or Ford imput.

Hey, thunder road -- WELCOME!!! Thanks for sharing that...

I think Parnelli used to drive for Steve then hooked up with Bud Moore Racing and Ford... must have been a kick meeting PJ!

Wow, I posted that a year ago! ...and we still don't know what's up with the Boss. As long as they do it right ;)

Dan

Hey, thunder road -- WELCOME!!! Thanks for sharing that...

I think Parnelli used to drive for Steve then hooked up with Bud Moore Racing and Ford... must have been a kick meeting PJ!

Wow, I posted that a year ago! ...and we still don't know what's up with the Boss. As long as they do it right ;)

Dan

Dan, it's amazing to realize we have been discussing this topic for over a year!! Time flies when you are having fun!! Just my $.02 on what I would like to see Ford roll out during the next several years.

V6 Coupe: 4.0L 210 HP

GT: 4.6L 300 HP

Mach I: 5.4L NA 425+ HP w/Drag Pak Option

GT500: 5.4L 500 HP

2010-12(Minor Restyle)

V6 Coupe: 3.5L 250 HP

Mach I: 5.4L 425+ HP

Boss 302 or 351: 400 HP All-Alloy NA H/Boss engine, 6 spd trans, IRS, 14" Front brakes, Recaro seating, etc - lightweight road-hugging performer

Boss 429: 7.0L 500+ HP NA H/Boss engine (replacement for the GT500)

V6 Coupe: 4.0L 210 HP

Mach I: 5.4L NA 425+ HP w/Drag Pak Option

GT500: 5.4L 500 HP

2010-12(Minor Restyle)

V6 Coupe: 3.5L 250 HP

Mach I: 5.4L 425+ HP

Boss 302 or 351: 400 HP All-Alloy NA H/Boss engine, 6 spd trans, IRS, 14" Front brakes, Recaro seating, etc - lightweight road-hugging performer

Boss 429: 7.0L 500+ HP NA H/Boss engine (replacement for the GT500)

With Ford negotiating with Shinoda, and releasing the new Boss block, the evidence for an '09 Boss seemed very likely. But...after reading all the threads about the third-year GT500, I feel that it may be very likely to happen. Why would Ford release a 5.4 Boss one year before the all-new '10 model and new engine family? My original thought on an 09 Boss was based on flawed rumors that the H/Boss engine was dead, but it's not. Here's what I predict now (limited just to Ford assembly of course):

Base: 4.0L 210 hp

GT: 4.6L 300 hp, 320 lb/ft

Mach1: 4.6L 320 hp, 330 lb/ft

GT500: 5.4L S/C 500 hp, 480 lb/ft, 6-speed

Base: 3.5L 250 hp

GT: 5.7L 370 hp, 370 lb/ft, 6-speed

Boss: 6.2L 450 hp, 440 lb/ft, 6-speed

If Ford heinously screws this up, though, like I think they will, I'm jumping ship over here.

Why would Ford continue to pay money to Shelby for the Shelby GT500's.

They could build a Boss in 2009 with a 5.4 L engine and make all the profit.

They could also let Shelby come out with a GT350 for the Shelby $$ people.

The restyling in 2010 is no big deal for Ford to change the Boss.

Remember the 1969, 1970 Boss 302 and the 1971 Boss 351 Ford made ??

They are placing the 5.4l engine in the mustang now.

With Ford negotiating with Shinoda, and releasing the new Boss block, the evidence for an '09 Boss seemed very likely. But...after reading all the threads about the third-year GT500, I feel that it may be very likely to happen. Why would Ford release a 5.4 Boss one year before the all-new '10 model and new engine family? My original thought on an 09 Boss was based on flawed rumors that the H/Boss engine was dead, but it's not. Here's what I predict now (limited just to Ford assembly of course):

If Ford heinously screws this up, though, like I think they will, I'm jumping ship over here.

Would it not make sense that the 09 GT gets the 5.0L, thus Mach1 as well with upgrades? GT500, if it remains, would get 5.4 modified. It makes sense, since Ford must boost its power to compete with the new Camaro and Challenger. M2C

Alex

I like your numbers in terms of what I'd like to see. If the H/Boss is provisioned like we expect it (VVT/VCT/DI/DoD) it could be a nice high-volume CAFE-friendly GT at 370HP.

An alternative is to keep the modular in the GT (should be able to provision the chassis to accomodate both) because the 3V has VCT and gets great mileage for it's level of power (maybe kicked up to 320) and the 3V alloy motor has a real following (only alloy V8 game in Dearborn and the darling of the aftermarket) at its current pricepoints for which the engineering expense is likely already long-sunk. That said, a 370HP H/Boss version should be even more CAFE and emissions friendly, but both GT and Boss on the H/Boss in the same year? Hmmm.

If only the 2-valve iron version of the H/Boss from the F-Series is ready for hi-po prime-time, it would be a tough sell in either the GT or the Boss, imo, so the above playcard must assume an alloy H/Boss in both GT and Boss. With both the Windsor plant and Cleveland-1 idled now I'm wondering if Ford will be doing volume alloy casting again or contracting it out. (Anyone know where Ford does the 3V alloy casting today?) I think I read recently that Eaton bought one of the state-of-the-art Teksid alloy casting plants recently -- Ford and Eaton are tight... that could be how it's going down (dunno). Anyone have any insight on any of the alloy plant capability/plans/contracts? Feel free to PM me if it's future stuff that can't be posted.

I still think there's potential for a Saleen-like Boss on the 3V mod (with VCT) or an alloy DOHC 4V version (engineering and missing pieces aside) but would necessarily take a larger bite out of CAFE, might constrain production volumes more, and is likely throw-away engineering expense if an alloy modular would be a short-timer ('MY'10-'12 at best?).

My hope is that the Boss is an alloy H/Boss from the start, but it takes a ton of testing and engineering refinement (expense) to make a killer hi-po motor with no signif problem areas on a new base engine design in alloy for the first time. The odds, sadly, are slim, imo, unless Ford is already flogging them up at the Romeo proving grounds under S197 skin -- cetainly possible! If so it will be an engineering coup. It's certainly not impossible -- just that a manufacturer is loath to not have at least one full engineering upgrade cycle on a base production motor before it's reincarnation as would-be stellar hi-po powerplant ...in what will be the thick of competition -- when one mistake can trash a whole brand's rep -- risky stuff.

It would be like GM inventing the revised small-block's design right from the start and, before it's even field-proven in another context, creating the LS3/C6 or LS7/Z06 'vette motors. Ford came close to doing just that with the FordGT, but the DOHC modular base was already proven in the Cobras and everything learned was re-engineered into the FordGT block and heads -- simultaneously -- and all done in alloy ...and the total engineering proved rather flawless, imo. It's possible that, although the 3.5 V6 is not a bore-spacing model, per se, for the H/Boss, that Ford V-engineering feels comfortable enough with how excellently it turned out, how solid the yet-to-ship H/Boss F-series iron motor is, and all that was learned with mod 3V and FordGT heads, that they feel comfortable taking the F-Series H/Boss directly to a re-spun alloy hi-po motor (with new heads too boot!) right out of the gate. If so, I wanna dress-up as a pizza delivery guy and go knock on the door at the end of Fisher road and sneak into the Proving Grounds next month :spiteful:

So, do we have an op, men? Are you with me? I'll distract 'em you go in with the Huey! :hysterical: ;-)

Ford came close to doing just that with the FordGT, but the DOHC modular base was already proven in the Cobras and everything learned was re-engineered into the FordGT block and heads -- simultaneously -- and all done in alloy ...and the total engineering proved rather flawless, imo.

You're forgetting the nightmare Ford had to deal with in late 2004 with the first production Ford GTs, which had a main seal oil leak, and some had flawed crankshafts. Ford's service recommendation was a "face saving" measure, and those customers who really don't know engines that well never knew any better. But in an expensive supercar, and with most of those early models selling for 2x-3x MSRP due to demand, Ford should have replaced the engines. Instead, some sort of crank sleeve was installed. Who knows how that affected longevity, but it's doubtful any Ford GT will see huge mileage so I'm sure Ford factored that into the decision.

Based on your comments and this fact, I think it's safe to assume there will be no H/Boss alloy block until after any issues with the truck block have been "ironed out" (pun intended :cry: ). Ford doesn't need bad publicity right now. I hear even civilians (non car buffs) at work talking about Ford.

Fastback, thanks for praising the 3V. I love the engine myself and feel that it deserves praise. It's capable of 600+ hp in stock form, and even more with forged internals. IMO, the PJ was purposely held back at 400 hp but capable of much more. Too bad Steve abandoned his customers and heritage and went to work for the Chinese. I lost all respect for him for doing that. The PJ was his last great accomplishment. But what a sell out!! You'd think he would have a million opportunities, but he went for the biggest offer, regardless of who it was.

Still holding out for a 6 plus liter alloy motor :happy feet:

Why can't Ford build an engine like this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/1252...hotos-info.html

With double-VANOS variable valve timing, an individual throttle body for each cylinder, a 12.0:1 compression ratio, and a shrieking 8300-rpm redline, the all-aluminum engine produces 414 hp at 8300 rpm and 295 pound-feet of torque at 3900 rpm. Thanks to its lightweight construction, the V-8 will weigh in at just 445 lbs

Wooo-eee! Geroge, that BMW V8 is pretty slick (if a little puny :hysterical:) good find!

--

Carnut, yeah yeah! ...hence my tagline: need DOHC alloy big block! <just on the off-chance they'd notice :hysterical: >

--

CabraFan -- I really am impressed with the 3V -- I think the H/Boss as a mature hi-po will be a 3V which still permits room in the head for DI and 1 or even 2 plugs, which would not be possible with a DOHC 4V. Also, over 4" bore (or thereabouts) 4V actually becomes overkill unless the engine will see VERY serious rpm or very long strokes (can't have both). So if the H/Boss bore will be the rumored 4.25" bore and a relatively short stroke, even 2V can do pretty darn good and 3V (with DI, etc) seems ideal to me. Man, a 3V 6.2-7.0L DI VVT alloy H/Boss would have HUGE potential -- 650 very clean HP with good milage is not unreasonable to assume ...in volume, imo. Whether it happens is another question ;-)

CabraFan -- I really am impressed with the 3V -- I think the H/Boss as a mature hi-po will be a 3V which still permits room in the head for DI and 1 or even 2 plugs, which would not be possible with a DOHC 4V. Also, over 4" bore (or thereabouts) 4V actually becomes overkill unless the engine will see VERY serious rpm or very long strokes (can't have both). So if the H/Boss bore will be the rumored 4.25" bore and a relatively short stroke, even 2V can do pretty darn good and 3V (with DI, etc) seems ideal to me. Man, a 3V 6.2-7.0L DI VVT alloy H/Boss would have HUGE potential -- 650 very clean HP with good milage is not unreasonable to assume ...in volume, imo. Whether it happens is another question ;-)

Hey guys, been on vacation with the family for a week and I've missed you guys!! ;) I will say this before launching into the current discussion, if this past week has been any indication, the Mustang hobby is alive and kicking like never before. We vacationed just south of Myrtle Beach SC and then entire week the Grand Strand was over-run with killer Mustangs - Terminators, Mach I's, S197 GT's in every color, SN95's, Foxes and a few excellent examples of the original 'Stangs. All were beautiful and maintained by a group of Mustang crazy enthusiasts. I spent about 30 mins chatting with a group gathered at the Hard Rock Cafe - great guys and gals and awesome cars. Normally, the area is dominated by the high-pitched buzz of crotch rockets and all manner of two wheeled speedsters, it was very refreshing to hear the roar of American V8 muscle at every turn.

In short, I agree that while an alloy H/Boss would be ideal, it isn't likely right out of the gate for a variety of reasons. Ford is making strides to improve their quality, introduce new, exciting models and repair their public image. Launching a brand new engine family in all aluminum trim in the face of very stiff competition could erase all the recent gains and would not be a wise strategic move. Unless Ford is really conducting some serious slight of hand, I would agree that an alloy H/Boss engine isn't in the cards for the next two to three model years. So where does that leave us with regard to a Boss Mustang?

As Dan pointed out, a mod based AL 4.6L 3V Boss (aka PJ Saleen 5.0L) is possible in the short term (MY '09) badged as a Boss 302 with lighter curb weight and unique Boss inspired styling (again, look to the PJ Saleen). Certainly a 4V version of the AL 4.6L is also possible but would require slightly redesigned heads and a new intake to deliver the HP required. Therefore, I don't see Ford going to the time and expensive to develop one-off, single use pieces for an engine family that will likely see few additional R&D dollars in the coming years. If nothing else, Saleen's little "experiment" has shown that nearly 400 hp is possible from the current 4.6L AL 3V engine with a few proven hot rodding tricks.

To sum it up, if Ford wants to market a Boss Mustang before an alloy version of the H/Boss engine is ready for prime time, my vote would be for a Boss 302 Mustang sporting a 400 hp 5.0L 3V alloy modular engine in MY '09. Ford could then follow that with a 5.8L alloy H/Boss powered Boss 351 in MY '10 or '11. M2C

To sum it up, if Ford wants to market a Boss Mustang before an alloy version of the H/Boss engine is ready for prime time, my vote would be for a Boss 302 Mustang sporting a 400 hp 5.0L 3V alloy modular engine in MY '09. Ford could then follow that with a 5.8L alloy H/Boss powered Boss 351 in MY '10 or '11. M2C

That would be awesome, and the '10 or '11 alloy H/Boss seems very likely. Ford doesn't seem to be in any condition to build a stroked 4.6 or any other custom engine short term, even at the Niche Line, due to their financial troubles. From Ford's point of view, a 5.4 iron N/A Boss would simply be a cheaper version of the GT500, already on the production line. Change a few badges, stripes, and wheels, lose the S/C, and it's a slam dunk.

I'm totally with you on wishing... stroked 4.6 or alloy 5.4... But how likely are they? IMO, Ford will do the iron 5.4 (easiest), or lease the "Boss" name to Saleen for a Shelby GT style custom job, or simply put it on hold until the alloy H/Boss is ready for primetime. In the latter case, let's hope Ford follows the Bullitt next year with a Mach1 to fill in the gap until the Boss is ready to go.

Hey, I'm finally getting around to modifying my engine! After 12,000 miles of commuting for the past year, I'm ready to start working toward 400 N/A hp. Just bought Steeda underdrive pulleys, BBK shorty headers, and a Ford X-pipe that will be added to the existing JTL CAI, Evolution tune, Flowmaster cat-backs, and ram air. I'm estimating 360 hp, 370 lb/ft when it's all installed. Will get a dyno and share results next month!

That would be awesome, and the '10 or '11 alloy H/Boss seems very likely. Ford doesn't seem to be in any condition to build a stroked 4.6 or any other custom engine short term, even at the Niche Line, due to their financial troubles. From Ford's point of view, a 5.4 iron N/A Boss would simply be a cheaper version of the GT500, already on the production line. Change a few badges, stripes, and wheels, lose the S/C, and it's a slam dunk.

I'm totally with you on wishing... stroked 4.6 or alloy 5.4... But how likely are they? IMO, Ford will do the iron 5.4 (easiest), or lease the "Boss" name to Saleen for a Shelby GT style custom job, or simply put it on hold until the alloy H/Boss is ready for primetime. In the latter case, let's hope Ford follows the Bullitt next year with a Mach1 to fill in the gap until the Boss is ready to go.

Hey, I'm finally getting around to modifying my engine! After 12,000 miles of commuting for the past year, I'm ready to start working toward 400 N/A hp. Just bought Steeda underdrive pulleys, BBK shorty headers, and a Ford X-pipe that will be added to the existing JTL CAI, Evolution tune, Flowmaster cat-backs, and ram air. I'm estimating 360 hp, 370 lb/ft when it's all installed. Will get a dyno and share results next month!

As you pointed out before, we have nothing concrete on the Boss so the majority of our musings are just that but hey if we are going to dream - dream big!! :happy feet: Let us know how the mods go and post those dyno results, always good to see real world build-ups!

Seems like the information pool is as dry as the back yard. Guess it's tiem for Ford to

buckle down and sell a lot of 2008 Mustangs GT's and Bullets. We'll all have to watch

the car shows for more to come from Ford.

Check out post#5092 here! Some how those parts just appeared???!! Damn!! There's the makings of a killer Boss in that block -- and possibly with a revised VCT strategy they could do volume with good emissions and not terrible CAFE impact.

Dan

Hey Dan, that engine has definitive "Boss" potential - an alloy 4V 4.6L block capable of 700 hp with boost - holy :censored: !! Yank the SC, give it some compression and a new intake, spin up the tach and viola Boss Mustang!! The heads are interesting as well, FR500 pieces. What a development that would be if Ford managed to certify a version of the FR500 engine for a new Boss 302 Mustang in '09!! :headspin:

Hey Guys, I installed a Steeda underdrive pulley this morning. The crank bolt was a mean SOB! My impact wrench had no effect (at 90 psi). I removed the fan, set the overflow and p/s reservoirs aside out of the way, and got a huge 150-lb/ft torque wrench in there, and was able to move the rear tires. Not good! So as far as removing the pulley, putting the tranny in Reverse is the key, after that it came loose after quite a workout on my part.

Had to rent a three-fingered pulley remover from Checker. The old pulley came off quite easily after getting the bolt out. Installing the new underdrive pulley, I shifted into 1st and was able to torque it per instructions to about 115 lb/ft.

Interesting tid bit about the serpentine belt...the left idler pulley has a 1/2" square socket opening so that it was very easy to "wrench" it downward to get the belt reinstalled.

Then I made a phenomenally stupid mistake...forgot to cinch down the water pump pulley bolts. They were finger-tight is all. Couple miles into test drive, they worked loose and the belt hopped off the pulley! Lost power steering, water pump, alternator, A/C all at once. Lost a bolt, have to pick up a new one from Ford, and though the belt is only frayed I will buy a new one.

Aside from my mistake, it was a fun install, in the sense that I learned even more about the 3V. Overall took about 3 hours from start to finish. The right alternator bolt would not come loose, so I cut it shorter with a cutoff wheel and put the nut back on rather than using the Steeda-supplied bolt.

As for results... it sounds a little quieter under the hood now, was able to hear the valvetrain for the first time at idle. A/C seems unchanged, even at idle. Power increase is noticeable, so I believe it was worth at least 10 hp as advertised.

Hey CobraFan, good write-up on the pulley install. It would seem the mod is worth the cost and effort. I know underdrives were always worth a solid 8 - 10 hp on the old 5.0's although the install was much simpler. We all have stories of a similar nature, at least it was just a minor annoyance and not a major fubar moment. Let us know how the build-up goes and when you get 'er on the dyno.

Hey CobraFan, good write-up on the pulley install. It would seem the mod is worth the cost and effort. I know underdrives were always worth a solid 8 - 10 hp on the old 5.0's although the install was much simpler. We all have stories of a similar nature, at least it was just a minor annoyance and not a major fubar moment. Let us know how the build-up goes and when you get 'er on the dyno.

Even if you aren't in the mood to install it yourself, the hour or so of labor at a shop is worth the cost for a very noticeable increase in power. It seems to have filled in a lacking area in my car's torque curve right around 3000 rpm. You know how VVT kicks in at around 4000, giving a nice surge? I notice that much lower in the rpm range now. Could be just my imagination. Hmm, actually no, it's real. I am not used to this much horsepower. My old 68 had 100k miles on it's 302-4v, with 220 hp, I thought that was amazing at the time as a kid. Then I spent 15 years driving a commuter---Sentra, Civic, 4Runner. I've done my time. LOL!

I'll tell you one thing, I'm really enjoying the incremental approach. Feeling every single improvement is loads of fun. A friend of mine is attending UTI, working on BMW certification, and he doesn't believe my claims! Even a conservative 330 flywheel hp. So, dangit, I've gotta get that dyno done. :)

Even if you aren't in the mood to install it yourself, the hour or so of labor at a shop is worth the cost for a very noticeable increase in power. It seems to have filled in a lacking area in my car's torque curve right around 3000 rpm. You know how VVT kicks in at around 4000, giving a nice surge? I notice that much lower in the rpm range now. Could be just my imagination. Hmm, actually no, it's real. I am not used to this much horsepower. My old 68 had 100k miles on it's 302-4v, with 220 hp, I thought that was amazing at the time as a kid. Then I spent 15 years driving a commuter---Sentra, Civic, 4Runner. I've done my time. LOL!

I'll tell you one thing, I'm really enjoying the incremental approach. Feeling every single improvement is loads of fun. A friend of mine is attending UTI, working on BMW certification, and he doesn't believe my claims! Even a conservative 330 flywheel hp. So, dangit, I've gotta get that dyno done. :)

Well just got the call from the dealer the 2008 Shelby GT500 to be built the week of Aug 20th

I am #2 on the Boss list behind the dealer. What should I do stay on the list for the Boss ??

I would like to have a new Boss to go with the 1970 yellow Boss we have now ???

but can't have both.

This would my guess as well! The Boss is suppose to be out as a 2009 model. I heard it was being pushed back to 2010 but I that is only what I heard from reading posts on the internet. I have not heard anything from Ford about pushing the Boss back to 2010.

I suspect a Mach 1 will come eventually, but when who knows! But the last I ever heard coming from Ford was the Boss is next right after the GT500 and is going to be a 2009 model.

We will know soon enough. I suspect if the Boss is coming for 2009 it will debut at the auto shows in 2008 or early 2009.

And Lets not forget that Amy B, had hints long ago when the Shelby GT was coming out, and that they might be saving the White/Blue Stripe color combo for a possible GT350... Also, there is the possibility of a My09 GT500 still being produced, and then you have the BOSS.

You could see FORD do a spilt production GT500's / part of those going out to SAI with a 5.4 non S/C / to be converted to a Shelby GT350. 4000 GT500 and 4000 goto SAI for convesion to GT350

Then also have additional 5.4L V8 non S/C engines built to be placed in a Mustang GT with different styling cues to become the BOSS. Seems Logical in my mind and not too costly for FORD most of the tooling should all be in place, excecpt for the body changes needed to make the BOSS.

Just my 2 cents

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

I've just talked to someone who talked to a reliable source at Ford's Romeo plant.

It's regarding the Boss engine.

All I can say is - I'm going to my dealer tomorrow and put down a deposit.

I suggest you do the same.

Don't ask - just do it.

I've just talked to someone who talked to a reliable source at Ford's Romeo plant.

Don't ask - just do it.

Ruf, you da man!!! Thanks for sharing!! Deposit is in, now we :waiting:

Don't ask - just do it.

...that was just me :hysterical2:

Archived