TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

Fourcam over at SVT Performance indicated in a recent post that the latest rumor from Ford is that the new Hurricane/Boss/"Premium" engine won't appear in the Mustang until MY '11 and spec out at 5.8L. I'm interpreting that at face value - the new engine won't appear in the Mustang until 2011. However, this latest tidbit doesn't specifically indicate that Ford WON'T produce a Boss Mustang before 2011. Therefore, if Ford does produce a Boss Mustang in '09 or '10, it would likely use a version of the existing modular V8 (5.0L Cammer anyone?) :happy feet: Anyone else interpret this differently?

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love that shot - you must have panned it to get the blurred background - but still got him framed!

Good form!

A buddy of mine got us Press credentials about 8 years ago to an IRL race in Charlotte.

I tried doing that from inside the wall in turn 4 - they were going too fast for me!

• 3 weeks later...
You and me both, however, I think we are in for a VERY long wait :banghead:

With all the companies suppling parts for the Mustang It maybe cheeper

to buy a Mustang Gt and make your own Boss. You can get the strip

package and the shaker hood etc . It maybe cheeper and cost less than

a Ford Boss if they come out with a new Boss.

I am afraid that the tide is turning like it did on the original pony

cars of the seventies. Only this time it will be the tree huggers that

kill the pony cars. I hope Ford is working on a V6 mustang that

is as fast as the GT is now for the near future.

I would agree that environmentalists are the biggest threat to our hobby no doubt and could easily launch me into a tirate but I will resist.

Regarding the Boss, I have all but abandoned hope that Ford will EVER get this one right. Ford seems content to bow to Old Shel's wishes and churn out high priced "collector" cars for the rich and famous leaving the rest of us to suck wind. I'm highly disappointed in Ford's short sighted strategy and firmly believe if they don't offer a serious mass produced (read: as many units as they can sell) performance car slotted between the GT and the over-priced Shelby, they will be doomed to fail in the long run. I do agree that the best way currently is to "build-your-own" Boss which is what I'm planning for '08 using a GT as the starting point.

I've heard rumors that a twin-turbo V6 Mustang development mule may exist. If that is indeed the case, that would be exciting new although not nearly as exciting as a new Boss 302 V8 Mustang. :happy feet:

I would agree that environmentalists are the biggest threat to our hobby no doubt and could easily launch me into a tirate but I will resist.

Regarding the Boss, I have all but abandoned hope that Ford will EVER get this one right. Ford seems content to bow to Old Shel's wishes and churn out high priced "collector" cars for the rich and famous leaving the rest of us to suck wind. I'm highly disappointed in Ford's short sighted strategy and firmly believe if they don't offer a serious mass produced (read: as many units as they can sell) performance car slotted between the GT and the over-priced Shelby, they will be doomed to fail in the long run. I do agree that the best way currently is to "build-your-own" Boss which is what I'm planning for '08 using a GT as the starting point.

I've heard rumors that a twin-turbo V6 Mustang development mule may exist. If that is indeed the case, that would be exciting new although not nearly as exciting as a new Boss 302 V8 Mustang. :happy feet:

Ford is now reaping the benifits of no competition in the pony market but like you said

if they don't offer a working man/woman's car like the Boss 302 Chrysler and GM will

clean their clock. Don't blow the lead Ford offer a Boss 302 that is not over priced by

greedy dealers and is a package the average person can afford your future may depend

on it.

I totally agree with you, Fanatic! I built my "Boss" from an 06. But I'm saving up for whatever new Boss that Ford comes out with. It stands to reason, since Ford relies on "retro" to fill their lack of true modern design, it makes sense for Ford to resurrect the Boss in 09 for the 40th anniversary. This is a very real possibility and I'm saving up!! :) I'm fed up with Shelbys and look forward to the day when the Shelbys dry up. I want to buy a real production Ford, not a $@%^& Shelby.

comparison.pngcomparison2.png

I want a non-supercharged engine in the 5.4 to 6.4 displacement range, producing over 400hp. So do most Ford performance enthusiasts. Where is this engine? The so-called “Hurricane” is an old rumor. Ford is always talking about “what’s coming” and asking customers to wait and see. Those customers are buying Dodges and Chevys, tired of false promises and endless waiting.

Let’s look at the Mustang lineup. First, we have the 210hp 4.0 V6 base Mustang. The only other option is the Mustang GT, with it’s 300hp 4.6 V8. That’s a good powerplant, but it doesn’t compete with GM and Dodge. The GT-500 is powered by a s/c iron block 5.4. The 2007 Shelby GT is a “badge” car, with a trivial engine upgrade and the Shelby lettering all over the place, but is by no means filling the gap. Ford needs to compete with Dodge and GM head on. Where’s the naturally-aspirated 400hp 5.4? Take off that stupid supercharger and you have a solid engine at a much more reasonable price. The Australians are doing it with their 380hp “Boss” 5.4 engine, based on the 2000 Cobra R block. What’s wrong with Ford here in the States?

GM has the 505hp Corvette Z06, among other Corvette models, while Dodge has the 600hp Viper SRT10. Ford’s answer is the limited-production (i.e. now expired) Ford GT, a 500hp rich-boy toy that is twice the price of any Corvette or Viper. Ford needs a high-end two-seater sports car to compete with these two at the same price range. This would be Ford’s “marquee” high-end sports car. Ford did build it–that car was the new T-Bird, which absolutely sunk due to a boring design. The new T-Bird should have been Ford’s high-performance answer to the Corvette Z06 and the Viper. Instead, Ford went retro and underpowered. Is it possible for Ford to build a performance car that has nothing whatsoever to do with Carroll Shelby?

Ford needs to fill in these missing performance gaps and give their fans what they want. At the same time, the low-end compact segment cars need to be dramatically improved with greater fuel efficiency–and please, enough with the gimmicks; just build a car Americans want to drive. Ford’s engines trail behind both Dodge and Chevy in every class. When you consider the poor mileage of Ford’s engines, compared to the competition (for instance, the Chevy 5.3L V8 EPA is 28, while Ford’s 4.6 V8 is 22), there is a clear sign that Ford is not keeping up. Considering just the performance options, notice the range of engines offered by Dodge and Chevy compared to Ford.

DODGE ENGINE LINEUP (CARS ONLY)

I4: 148hp, 1.8L

I4: 172hp, 2.4L

V6: 190hp, 2.7L

V6: 250hp, 3.5L

V8: 340hp, 390tq, 5.7L

V8: 425hp, 420tq, 6.1L

V8: 600hp, 560tq, 7.0L

CHEVY ENGINE LINEUP (CARS ONLY)

I4: 148hp, 2.2L

I4: 173hp, 2.4L HO

I4: 204hp, 2.0L, S/C

V6: 211hp, 3.5L

V6: 242hp, 3.9L

V8: 303hp, 5.3L

V8: 400hp, 6.0L

V8: 505hp, 7.0L

FORD ENGINE LINEUP (CARS ONLY)

I4: 136hp, 2.0L

I4: 151hp, 2.3L

V6: 221hp, 3.0L

V6: 210hp, 4.0L

V8: 300hp, 4.6L

V8: 500hp, 5.4L S/C

Ford believes that gimmicks will lead to increased sales. In reality, more powerful engines with better mileage is the answer.

FWIW - I was at a shop that does proto type engine work & on my tour of their LAB I seen a box sitting up on the machine & it said "BOSS PARTS" I asked & then he said no it's a Hurricane.

I sure hope we get to add to Mustang Fanatic's list real soon... need a worthy follow-on to the '01 DOHC NA IRS Cobra soon!!!!

...maybe the 'refresh' will bring some first-aid???

-6.2L H/Boss 400-425P NA???

-7.0L H/Boss 500-600 NA, 800-850 S/C???

Ruf, yeah, that pic was panned for sure... my ol' brass Minolta-XK w/80-200 zoom, no doubt. Sorry for not seeing your post earlier... this was the only thread that e-mail notification was still broken on, but now it works!!!! :happy feet:

Coldy, I think you're on to something there... H/Boss in '09? ;-)

Heading to NV tomorrow to visit kinder and grand kinder... will try to make it to SA one day when I can steal daughter's car... the rest of the time I'll have to steal her laptop so I can visit ;)

later, y'all...

Dan

I totally agree with you, Fanatic! I built my "Boss" from an 06. But I'm saving up for whatever new Boss that Ford comes out with. It stands to reason, since Ford relies on "retro" to fill their lack of true modern design, it makes sense for Ford to resurrect the Boss in 09 for the 40th anniversary. This is a very real possibility and I'm saving up!! :) I'm fed up with Shelbys and look forward to the day when the Shelbys dry up. I want to buy a real production Ford, not a $@%^& Shelby.

comparison.pngcomparison2.png

I want a non-supercharged engine in the 5.4 to 6.4 displacement range, producing over 400hp. So do most Ford performance enthusiasts. Where is this engine? The so-called “Hurricane” is an old rumor. Ford is always talking about “what’s coming” and asking customers to wait and see. Those customers are buying Dodges and Chevys, tired of false promises and endless waiting.

Let’s look at the Mustang lineup. First, we have the 210hp 4.0 V6 base Mustang. The only other option is the Mustang GT, with it’s 300hp 4.6 V8. That’s a good powerplant, but it doesn’t compete with GM and Dodge. The GT-500 is powered by a s/c iron block 5.4. The 2007 Shelby GT is a “badge” car, with a trivial engine upgrade and the Shelby lettering all over the place, but is by no means filling the gap. Ford needs to compete with Dodge and GM head on. Where’s the naturally-aspirated 400hp 5.4? Take off that stupid supercharger and you have a solid engine at a much more reasonable price. The Australians are doing it with their 380hp “Boss” 5.4 engine, based on the 2000 Cobra R block. What’s wrong with Ford here in the States?

GM has the 505hp Corvette Z06, among other Corvette models, while Dodge has the 600hp Viper SRT10. Ford’s answer is the limited-production (i.e. now expired) Ford GT, a 500hp rich-boy toy that is twice the price of any Corvette or Viper. Ford needs a high-end two-seater sports car to compete with these two at the same price range. This would be Ford’s “marquee” high-end sports car. Ford did build it–that car was the new T-Bird, which absolutely sunk due to a boring design. The new T-Bird should have been Ford’s high-performance answer to the Corvette Z06 and the Viper. Instead, Ford went retro and underpowered. Is it possible for Ford to build a performance car that has nothing whatsoever to do with Carroll Shelby?

Ford needs to fill in these missing performance gaps and give their fans what they want. At the same time, the low-end compact segment cars need to be dramatically improved with greater fuel efficiency–and please, enough with the gimmicks; just build a car Americans want to drive. Ford’s engines trail behind both Dodge and Chevy in every class. When you consider the poor mileage of Ford’s engines, compared to the competition (for instance, the Chevy 5.3L V8 EPA is 28, while Ford’s 4.6 V8 is 22), there is a clear sign that Ford is not keeping up. Considering just the performance options, notice the range of engines offered by Dodge and Chevy compared to Ford.

DODGE ENGINE LINEUP (CARS ONLY)

I4: 148hp, 1.8L

I4: 172hp, 2.4L

V6: 190hp, 2.7L

V6: 250hp, 3.5L

V8: 340hp, 390tq, 5.7L

V8: 425hp, 420tq, 6.1L

V8: 600hp, 560tq, 7.0L

CHEVY ENGINE LINEUP (CARS ONLY)

I4: 148hp, 2.2L

I4: 173hp, 2.4L HO

I4: 204hp, 2.0L, S/C

V6: 211hp, 3.5L

V6: 242hp, 3.9L

V8: 303hp, 5.3L

V8: 400hp, 6.0L

V8: 505hp, 7.0L

FORD ENGINE LINEUP (CARS ONLY)

I4: 136hp, 2.0L

I4: 151hp, 2.3L

V6: 221hp, 3.0L

V6: 210hp, 4.0L

V8: 300hp, 4.6L

V8: 500hp, 5.4L S/C

Ford believes that gimmicks will lead to increased sales. In reality, more powerful engines with better mileage is the answer.

Were did you have the work done and how much did it set you back.

I really like to look of the car.

CobraFan - excellent Boss interpretation, props to you for building your own. :yup:

Ruf - everyone knows your car rocks and it's in my favorite color, 'nuf said. :drool:

ColdWaterHotRod - would love to know more but as Dan said, think you are on to something. H/Boss in '09 - I'm in!!! :happy feet:

Dan, couldn't agree more - we are WAY overdue for a truly worthy NA Hi-Po Mustang with road race handling and braking.

Were did you have the work done and how much did it set you back.

I really like to look of the car.

Hey 70boss302, I guess by your name that def would appeal to you! :) hehehe.

It was done by Heritage Customs, but oddly they don't have anything like mine in their gallery mainly because they will customize however you want. I really would have enjoyed starting with a Grabber Orange, the old Parnelli Jones color, but screaming yellow is an unusual color too. The front valence is stock Roush, as are the side window covers. I really like the "GT" emblem delete which makes it look more authentic.

Coldwater... That's a very exciting revelation!!! I'm getting my hopes all worked up but what the heck. If Ford does make that Hurricane engine a reality and releases a Mustang with the 6.2, with or without the Boss name, all our complaining and speculation will have been absolutely justified. :) Go Ford!! Cut back on 20,000 GTs in order to fill in some 6.2 Bosses!!!

Hey 70boss302, I guess by your name that def would appeal to you! :) hehehe.

It was done by Heritage Customs, but oddly they don't have anything like mine in their gallery mainly because they will customize however you want. I really would have enjoyed starting with a Grabber Orange, the old Parnelli Jones color, but screaming yellow is an unusual color too. The front valence is stock Roush, as are the side window covers. I really like the "GT" emblem delete which makes it look more authentic.

Coldwater... That's a very exciting revelation!!! I'm getting my hopes all worked up but what the heck. If Ford does make that Hurricane engine a reality and releases a Mustang with the 6.2, with or without the Boss name, all our complaining and speculation will have been absolutely justified. :) Go Ford!! Cut back on 20,000 GTs in order to fill in some 6.2 Bosses!!!

I thought your car looked real familiar earlier up this thread when staring at it. Guessing you live around Cedar Hill somewhere...every time I've seen it, it was in the Krogers parking lot. Actually..thinking more, I think your in my neighborhood somewhere...Eagle Ford drive ring a bell? :-)

I thought your car looked real familiar earlier up this thread when staring at it. Guessing you live around Cedar Hill somewhere...every time I've seen it, it was in the Krogers parking lot. Actually..thinking more, I think your in my neighborhood somewhere...Eagle Ford drive ring a bell? :-)

No, actually I live in the Phoenix area. I bought the car in Dallas and drove it home. Although there are a lot of customs out there, I would agree that the PJ is the most beautifully done. In all respects, the PJ is the modern "Boss 302" even though the engine is actually more like a 305 (confirm?). I instantly wanted a PJ when it was announced last year, even more so than a GT-500. I just couldn't fathom this....paying $60k for a custom rare model when a GT can be had for under 30k, with great potential. In the end, how much is pride and bragging rights worth? Because that is really what I would have spent $30k on. I love the shaker hood, etc. It's a real blast.

The main thing on my mind is, how long will the Shelbys last? Will Ford end the production runs before the 09 MY? It would be helpful to terminate the Shelbys before the new redesigns so Ford can resurrect the Mach1 and Boss models as true performance cars rather than just badge cars. The GT/CS is a cool car, as will be the Bullitt, as custom GTs straight from Ford. That's very welcome, but they don't affect CAFE more than any other GT. There just doesn't seem to be room in the market for more models. MY07 saw the GT-500, S-GT (due to customer demand!), and GT/CS. For MY08, we know of the Bullitt, GT500, KR, and suspect but are not certain on the S-GT.

I predict that Ford will keep the GT-500 program indefinitely. With only two MY exceptions, the Cobra was offered from 93-04. There's "Cobra" brand awareness that is valuable to Ford and they'll continue to revise and improve on the GT500 design. The highest ever production run on the Cobra was in 03 when 13,000 were produced. I don't think we'll ever see more than that unless Coletti returns. :)

I predict that Ford will clean the slate of all other distractions for 09. Ford responded to the public demand for the S-GT, so I am confident Ford will bring back the Boss. The Mach1 had a return not long ago, so I predict the Boss will be the dominant custom model in 09. Perhaps the Mach1 will be the next badge car. I hope not! But with a base 370 hp for the new GT engine, where would the Mach1 fit in if not as a badge car, following the GT/CS and Bullitt?

No, actually I live in the Phoenix area. I bought the car in Dallas and drove it home. Although there are a lot of customs out there, I would agree that the PJ is the most beautifully done. In all respects, the PJ is the modern "Boss 302" even though the engine is actually more like a 305 (confirm?). I instantly wanted a PJ when it was announced last year, even more so than a GT-500. I just couldn't fathom this....paying $60k for a custom rare model when a GT can be had for under 30k, with great potential. In the end, how much is pride and bragging rights worth? Because that is really what I would have spent $30k on. I love the shaker hood, etc. It's a real blast.

The main thing on my mind is, how long will the Shelbys last? Will Ford end the production runs before the 09 MY? It would be helpful to terminate the Shelbys before the new redesigns so Ford can resurrect the Mach1 and Boss models as true performance cars rather than just badge cars. The GT/CS is a cool car, as will be the Bullitt, as custom GTs straight from Ford. That's very welcome, but they don't affect CAFE more than any other GT. There just doesn't seem to be room in the market for more models. MY07 saw the GT-500, S-GT (due to customer demand!), and GT/CS. For MY08, we know of the Bullitt, GT500, KR, and suspect but are not certain on the S-GT.

I predict that Ford will keep the GT-500 program indefinitely. With only two MY exceptions, the Cobra was offered from 93-04. There's "Cobra" brand awareness that is valuable to Ford and they'll continue to revise and improve on the GT500 design. The highest ever production run on the Cobra was in 03 when 13,000 were produced. I don't think we'll ever see more than that unless Coletti returns. :)

I predict that Ford will clean the slate of all other distractions for 09. Ford responded to the public demand for the S-GT, so I am confident Ford will bring back the Boss. The Mach1 had a return not long ago, so I predict the Boss will be the dominant custom model in 09. Perhaps the Mach1 will be the next badge car. I hope not! But with a base 370 hp for the new GT engine, where would the Mach1 fit in if not as a badge car, following the GT/CS and Bullitt?

With all the controverse going on about Shelby GT500 production numbers and the KR

allocations. I hope FOrd is smarter with the New BOSS introduction and offers it as an

option on the Mustang GT as a package with the strips and BOSS 302 engine.

We want nothing more or less come on FORD ( IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL SELL )

yeah make this a factory option package and build it in the msrp so FORD can make money and not the dealer. Not everyone that buys a mustang wants a V8.. so i doubt demand would be overwhelming. $45K would be awesome! Maybe a $12K adder on the GT?

As several others have noted, the Boss Mustang must be an OEM Ford product. NO involvement from Shelby or anyone else, just factory Ford. Additionally, Ford should not state production numbers, let demand dictate the number of Boss Mustangs produced. I would highly doubt the production number would exceed 10 - 12K units per year but stating production numbers just creates another weapon for dealers to use to inflate the price beyond MSRP (although 10K units per year hardly qualifies as limited production in my book but I digress).

I'd prefer to see the Boss offered as a special edition Mustang and not an add-on package to the GT. Price point is really dependant upon content. If the Boss Mustang is packing a 400 hp 5.0L or 5.8L all alloy 4V version of the new Hurricane Boss V8, a tight 6 spd trans, 14" 6 piston front disc brakes, lightweight 19" wheels, IRS, a curb weight in the neighborhood of 3,400 with a full load of fuel (which means the use of lightweight body panels) and styling similar to the PJ Saleen then I think the market would tolerate a sticker price in the $38K - $40K range. However, if any of that content is missing, the MSRP should be adjusted down accordingly.

Personally, I'd be happy to get a definitive word from Ford regarding whether or not they plan to produce a new Boss Mustang including the MY availability. I'm saving my pennies for such a beast but want to know if the object of my desire is going to be a reality or only a pipe dream.

As several others have noted, the Boss Mustang must be an OEM Ford product. NO involvement from Shelby or anyone else, just factory Ford. Additionally, Ford should not state production numbers, let demand dictate the number of Boss Mustangs produced. I would highly doubt the production number would exceed 10 - 12K units per year but stating production numbers just creates another weapon for dealers to use to inflate the price beyond MSRP (although 10K units per year hardly qualifies as limited production in my book but I digress).

That would be fantastic. We can only hope, first that the Hurricane truly is in development, that it will be an option in the 09.

I'd prefer to see the Boss offered as a special edition Mustang and not an add-on package to the GT. Price point is really dependant upon content. If the Boss Mustang is packing a 400 hp 5.0L or 5.8L all alloy 4V version of the new Hurricane Boss V8, a tight 6 spd trans, 14" 6 piston front disc brakes, lightweight 19" wheels, IRS, a curb weight in the neighborhood of 3,400 with a full load of fuel (which means the use of lightweight body panels) and styling similar to the PJ Saleen then I think the market would tolerate a sticker price in the $38K - $40K range. However, if any of that content is missing, the MSRP should be adjusted down accordingly.
AMEN!! There's no reason why this car should break $40k considering the base GT is about $26k. Assuming, though, that the base Mustang is more expensive due to IRS, we might expect another $1,000 added to the base. Then, +10k is not unreasonable for 400hp, etc.

Personally, I'd be happy to get a definitive word from Ford regarding whether or not they plan to produce a new Boss Mustang including the MY availability. I'm saving my pennies for such a beast but want to know if the object of my desire is going to be a reality or only a pipe dream.

Due to all the rumors, it's really odd that no definitive word has come. I suspect, due to Ford's financial challenges at present, they do not know exactly what this new Boss will be yet or they'd be working the PR angle. I suspect they are more worried about SURVIVING through 2008 at this point, let alone working on special models for 09.

So many +1's here ;)

I'd like the Boss, if it can't be on a new H/Boss motor base, to be the NA Modular's 'last hurrah' and that means a DOHC. That imples a production alloy 4V mod fully updated with what's been learned with cooling and porting and Ford GT heads... for which there's presently no production alloy casting base. The '01 Cobra alloy block needs all coooling/hotspot updates from the 5.4 GT500, the Ford GT block is pricey and needs remachining/redesign for wet-sump and a few other trims, the manracer spray-bore 5.0 is not production (but makes the most sense to me even if not spray-bore at 4.6 or 5.0 stroked). From a CAFE p.o.v. none of those can accommodate VVT or VCT to get the mileage nums that would make a Boss302 more CAFE friendly and, possibly, greater production. <sigh>

If it can be a H/Boss motor, it should be much more CAFE-friendly and maybe that's why it's been sooooo quiet ;-) ...at least that's what I'm sooooo hoping. ;)

Dan

I'd like the Boss, if it can't be on a new H/Boss motor base, to be the NA Modular's 'last hurrah' and that means a DOHC. That imples a production alloy 4V mod fully updated with what's been learned with cooling and porting and Ford GT heads... for which there's presently no production alloy casting base. The '01 Cobra alloy block needs all coooling/hotspot updates from the 5.4 GT500, the Ford GT block is pricey and needs remachining/redesign for wet-sump and a few other trims, the manracer spray-bore 5.0 is not production (but makes the most sense to me even if not spray-bore at 4.6 or 5.0 stroked). From a CAFE p.o.v. none of those can accommodate VVT or VCT to get the mileage nums that would make a Boss302 more CAFE friendly and, possibly, greater production. <sigh>

If it can be a H/Boss motor, it should be much more CAFE-friendly and maybe that's why it's been sooooo quiet ;-) ...at least that's what I'm sooooo hoping. ;)

Dan

Excellent points, Dan. It's possible Ford could do one last high-end Mod variant but I don't see how an alloy will ever happen. It would have to be a modified Ford GT block (as you say, with wet sump conversion). Far more likely is the iron GT500 block with Ford GT heads. Like I said before, take off the supercharger and you've got a great DOHC engine that's only about 90lbs heavier than the 4.6 3V, and with the psi hardening SVT applied, that N/A engine could handle high revs.

But, I predict that Mod family dynasty is over. Ford will push the new H/Boss line because it supports DOD which will significantly bump Ford's averages up. I think it's over for Mod, and that isn't a bad thing...Ford is already 3 years behind.

<lol> yeah... WELCOME, Harris!

------------

If the H/Boss has the bore-spacing we suspect (just a tad more than the old FE427) it could be pretty awesome as a 2 or 3V SOHC and well oversquate even at 7.0L. Still, it would have to be alloy for me. It's not that iron would be terrible, it's just that the weight is in the worst possbile place and if Ford is serious about enabling a modern Boss to repeat it's successes of the past, against an alloy LS-family, it just MUST be alloy. I do recall hearing somewhere that there were H/Boss alloy castings ordered (don't recall where) at one point (not the old rumored iron Hurricane castings from 8+ months ago -- more recent).

If not investing in an updated alloy mod base permits Ford to get to a full-tilt CAFE-friedly H/Boss family in both iron and alloy, I'm good with that and I thnk the wait will be well worth it; but no alloy seems unthinkable (and a deal breaker for me).

Dan

If not investing in an updated alloy mod base permits Ford to get to a full-tilt CAFE-friedly H/Boss family in both iron and alloy, I'm good with that and I thnk the wait will be well worth it; but no alloy seems unthinkable (and a deal breaker for me).

Agreed! What I was hinting about was that if the next Boss uses the Mod 5.4, the current iron GT500 block sans the supercharger is a good engine that would work well.

I wasn't thinking about the H/Boss family...I just assumed that it would be alloy. But it's very possible Ford will build an iron version for trucks, which would make sense (and support rumors of two castings).

Archived