TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but just wanted to let you know I am No. 1 on the list for a 2008 boss 302. However, order info is TBD and delivery date is TBD, obviously. The GM at the dealer ship will be heading to detroit around 30 March and will recieve more information at that time. BTW, the GM told me they contacted Ford and confirmed they are schedule to get only one. Lucky me, I made a down payment already.

Now shooting in the dark about what is expected and what will actually be is a rush. Anyway, staying with "BOSS 302" heritage, the power plant must be around 302 ci and road race ready. NUFF SAID.

The last thing is, LOOK OUT Corvette. After reading the July '06 Car $ Driver article between the GT500 and what was supposed to be a standard 'Vet, ended up being a GT500 and a Z51 "handling package" 'Vet , and the GT500 was on its' tail the whole way. Power to weight ratio and weight distro, let's put the BOSS in place of the GT500 on a road course and leave the GT500 in the straight line. Each were/are made for specific purposes.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but just wanted to let you know I am No. 1 on the list for a 2008 boss 302. However, order info is TBD and delivery date is TBD, obviously. The GM at the dealer ship will be heading to detroit around 30 March and will recieve more information at that time. BTW, the GM told me they contacted Ford and confirmed they are schedule to get only one. Lucky me, I made a down payment already.

Welcome to the forum. You're in the right place to get first hand info on the Mustangs...that's forsure.

I think it is very un likely that your dealership would know their allocation for a Boss at this point. Letters are sent out when allocations are firmed up. Did you see the letter ?

Welcome to the forum. You're in the right place to get first hand info on the Mustangs...that's forsure.

I think it is very un likely that your dealership would know their allocation for a Boss at this point. Letters are sent out when allocations are firmed up. Did you see the letter ?

No letter, just inside information. Sometimes it's not what you think you know, but who you know. In this case the GM has a contact and got first hand info. In this case, I asked about the BOSS and he did some digging. Even so, I still have rights to the first Boss they get.

No letter, just inside information. Sometimes it's not what you think you know, but who you know. In this case the GM has a contact and got first hand info. In this case, I asked about the BOSS and he did some digging. Even so, I still have rights to the first Boss they get.

You are a lucky man. I have a deal set up with a owner of a Ford store on a Boss. He said that if he gets 5, I could have one at MSRP. We will soon see.

Here's what I have come to understand. There will a minimum of THREE new Mustangs introduced during the 2007 calender year. . .the Boss is not on the list. I am guessing that the Boss will appear in early 2008.

Robert, is it for certain that the Mach I will appear in calendar year '07? We already know about the Bullitt and the Shelby GT appearing in '07 but I haven't heard any confirmation on the Mach I.

If the Boss does appear in '08 as an '09 model that would be terrific as long as it is a Boss 302 with a much lower curb weight than the GT500 and road race designed suspension and brakes - and it is produced in sufficient quantities to meet market demand. :happy feet:

If the Boss does appear in '08 as an '09 model that would be terrific as long as it is a Boss 302 with a much lower curb weight than the GT500 and road race designed suspension and brakes - and it is produced in sufficient quantities to meet market demand. :happy feet:

Amen to all that!!!

Right on the money!!!!!

Robert, is it for certain that the Mach I will appear in calendar year '07? We already know about the Bullitt and the Shelby GT appearing in '07 but I haven't heard any confirmation on the Mach I.

+2 Fanatic

I'd bet the Mach will get the 5.4 NA iron motor (S/C-less GT500 motor) that was 'floated' (and rightly sunk) as a candidate Boss motor.

Boss in '08 as an MY'09 is the standing rumor... after all, Boss has gotta be an '09 ;-)

In my heart of hearts I still think it will be an alloy motor and possibly one of the best-kept secrets in recent Ford intros ;-)

Robert, any insight on what the CID-limit will be on the TransAm venue arrangements Dan Davis is/has worked out for '09??? I think therein lies the real clue whether a modular or an H/Boss :spiteful:

Sure hope it happens <sigh>

-Dan

(btw, this Boss forum is still one where e-mail notification doesn't work for my ID ...any idea what's up with that Robert?)

This was posted on the SVT Performance site. Apparently this survey was emailed to current Mustang owners who opted in to receive marketing materials. Interesting content, especially given all the interest in a 5.0L Boss Mustang. Though it might be worth sharing...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showp...p;postcount=325

This was posted on the SVT Performance site. Apparently this survey was emailed to current Mustang owners who opted in to receive marketing materials. Interesting content, especially given all the interest in a 5.0L Boss Mustang. Though it might be worth sharing...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showp...p;postcount=325

I took the time to take the survey the other day. I figure it can't hurt if they even take just a couple of ideas from us "fanatics"!

I took the time to take the survey the other day. I figure it can't hurt if they even take just a couple of ideas from us "fanatics"!

I Made sure to let them know in the comments section that we all wanted a BOSS 429 with 6-spd. paddle shift and 411 posi. 9"! :happy feet: :)

post-5784-1173491826_thumb.jpgpost-5784-1173491980_thumb.jpgHi All,

Long time lurker here. Love the site! Lots of great info. Just read this in my local paper. I live in a suburb west of Cleveland near engine plant 1. Sorry for the long read but the end of the article mentions the new boss 6.2 liter engine coming to plant 1. Interesting.

post-5784-1173491826_thumb.jpg

post-5784-1173491980_thumb.jpg

Long time lurker here. Love the site! Lots of great info. Just read this in my local paper. I live in a suburb west of Cleveland near engine plant 1. Sorry for the long read but the end of the article mentions the new boss 6.2 liter engine coming to plant 1. Interesting.

Sorry I could not read the article that you scanned.

I am glad that the Boss Mustang will not be produced until late 2008.

This should get at that pent up desire to buy a special production model

Mustang out of the system of the rich baby boomers and the prices should

be reasonable.

Good find, thanks for sharing!!

Anyone know when Job 1 is for the '08 F150 with the new Boss engine? I'd love to get the chance to check out the new Boss engine family when they debut in the trucks. I'm in need of a preveiw to hold me over until the Boss engine is available in the Mustang!!

Hey deuce, thanks for posting that... even if they call it a "6.2 cylinder" Boss <lol>

I also noticed the reference to compacted graphite iron (CGI) which I assume is actually Carbon Graphite Inpregnated blocks like those Cosworth makes for the Focus DOHC rally cars and racers but which are more and more likely to be used for diesels and high-performance thin-wall gas engines.

CGI is a key technology to watch and I'd be most interestedin anything you might hear on it as well as if any Ford Cleveland plant gets any alloy casting orders or re-equips for and V8 alloy casting process.

If Ford is serious about road racing and winning, alloy and CGI will figure prominently in their plans and Cleveland just might be the plant of choice since they can't farm that out as volumes become necessary (Boss, follow-on Trans-Am Racer, their NHRA Fuel motor they're developing with Force Racing, etc).

I thought since you're in that area, you might just hear something that the trade press won't pick up on.

-Dan

----------

btw, I still think an '09 Boss is delightfully unavoidable, even if in limited numbers -- then a 5.8H/Boss with the refresh. Hopefull all in alloy! Ford is very sensitive to history and tradition. The 35anniv stang, 35anniv GT500, 35annivGT500KR(NYAIS), etc... There's no way they'll miss the Boss, imho, they'll just keep their options open until they know what competition is doing... <I know... from my lips to Mark Fields' ears lol> ;-)

Fanatic, make them do it for us! ;)

Here's more pics I took of the JDRF car engine!!! Sure doesn't look lie a FRPP Boss 302 crate motor!!! Hmmmm.

Dan

<edit:> I had the wrong floor-car associated with this car on the other thread... it's a 4.6 modular (not a Boss) with chromed cast-alloy valve-covers by Sullivan... here's the right Floor-card for the car:

post-4902-1173627012_thumb.jpgpost-4902-1173627058_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the confusion... -Dan

post-4902-1173639345_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1173627012_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1173627058_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1173639345_thumb.jpg

Here's more pics I took of the JDRF car engine!!! Sure doesn't look lie a FRPP Boss 302 crate motor!!! Hmmmm.

Dan

<edit:> I had the wrong floor-car associated with this car on the other thread... it's a 4.6 modular (not a Boss) with chromed cast-alloy valve-covers by Sullivan... here's the right Floor-card for the car:

post-4902-1173627012_thumb.jpgpost-4902-1173627058_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the confusion... -Dan

Great find, Dan!!! Too bad it didn't turn out to be the new H/Boss engine. So we continue to wait...

Great find, Dan!!! Too bad it didn't turn out to be the new H/Boss engine. So we continue to wait...

Maybe Ford will through us something to chew on from the New York car show

about the coming Mustang Boss ????????

Maybe Ford will through us something to chew on from the New York car show

about the coming Mustang Boss ????????

I continue to hope that we will see a tidbit of something at the NYC show on the Boss but the reality is we probably won't. Ford hasn't released anything concrete on the Bullitt and Job 1 is about 9 months off so I would anticipate something on the Bullitt before the Boss. Robert indicated we wouldn't get any definitive on the Boss until '08 so the wait continues...

As wonderful as these kinds of Mustangs are they won't save Ford because of the limited volumes.

I work there so this is of monumental interest to me. It seems like the guys at Ford are playing and having fun in the things that they know will be a hit, but these will be short run vehicles. What needs to be done is something that will save the company by selling a couple hundred thousand units a year.

All I know is when I have something to get done I don't do a couple insiginficant tasks that I know I will accomplish first, I look at the big problem and figure out how to tackle it, or at least begin cutting it down. I fear that playing with short run special Mustangs will detract from money and effort that should be used to develope vehicles that will get Ford out of their bind.

I love the Mustang and the specialty Mustangs......but buy one now, because if Ford goes under in a few years they will be worth tons of money as the last supercars of a former manufacturer that we will be telling our grandkids about.

Steve

As wonderful as these kinds of Mustangs are they won't save Ford because of the limited volumes.

I work there so this is of monumental interest to me. It seems like the guys at Ford are playing and having fun in the things that they know will be a hit, but these will be short run vehicles. What needs to be done is something that will save the company by selling a couple hundred thousand units a year.

All I know is when I have something to get done I don't do a couple insiginficant tasks that I know I will accomplish first, I look at the big problem and figure out how to tackle it, or at least begin cutting it down. I fear that playing with short run special Mustangs will detract from money and effort that should be used to develope vehicles that will get Ford out of their bind.

I love the Mustang and the specialty Mustangs......but buy one now, because if Ford goes under in a few years they will be worth tons of money as the last supercars of a former manufacturer that we will be telling our grandkids about.

Steve

While I agree speciality Mustangs won't save Ford financially due to low sales volumes, I disagree that Ford shouldn't invest in producing them. Certainly, Ford has to get back to the business of building great vehicles, specifically small/mid-size sedans and SUV's. They know how to build full-size trucks and SUV's but those segments are in decline (specifically the SUV's) However, failing to build S/E Mustangs that generate alot of hype and interest, drawing attention to the brand and traffic to the showroom is also a mistake. Ford needs these speciality vehicles to draw attention to the entire brand, not just the Mustang model. In addition, vehicles like the Mustang build life long customers. My wife and I are prime examples, our first cars were Mustangs and we have owned nothing but Ford products since. I want to see Ford return to financial health and continue building great cars and trucks and S/E Mustangs are just as important to the mix as other higher volume vehicles to Ford's brand image and reputation.

While I agree speciality Mustangs won't save Ford financially due to low sales volumes, I disagree that Ford shouldn't invest in producing them. Certainly, Ford has to get back to the business of building great vehicles, specifically small/mid-size sedans and SUV's. They know how to build full-size trucks and SUV's but those segments are in decline (specifically the SUV's) However, failing to build S/E Mustangs that generate alot of hype and interest, drawing attention to the brand and traffic to the showroom is also a mistake. Ford needs these speciality vehicles to draw attention to the entire brand, not just the Mustang model. In addition, vehicles like the Mustang build life long customers. My wife and I are prime examples, our first cars were Mustangs and we have owned nothing but Ford products since. I want to see Ford return to financial health and continue building great cars and trucks and S/E Mustangs are just as important to the mix as other higher volume vehicles to Ford's brand image and reputation.

+1, Steve.

------------------

...and Ford isn't going out of business anytime soon, imo; it just takes at least as long to undo what Nasser's 'milking' did.... Ford is down but not out ...they're addressing the right issues, imo ...it just takes time.

I will have to agree that the specialty Mustangs will bring some flow of customers to the showroom. I hope Ford's new products will be striking enough to make someone want to take the cars for a test drive. I have seen a few of what's coming and I really have faith in the look of the lincoln cars, I am just afraid of the prices, especially after seeing the price on the MKX at the auto show.

I'll reserve some other opinions that do not belong in this topic.

Personally, if I was in the position, I would get a CS6 Shelby. I love the way they look and I like the idea of how the performance is gained.

I really hope the Boss Mustang has the new modular Boss engine. It's only right.

Steve

Unfortunately, I think we are in a holding pattern for the near future for any concrete Boss Mustang related information. I agree, Ford needs to offer a sweet all-alloy 5.0L V8 under the hood of the next generation Boss Mustang, let's just hope Ford agrees!!

Unfortunately, I think we are in a holding pattern for the near future for any concrete Boss Mustang related information. I agree, Ford needs to offer a sweet all-alloy 5.0L V8 under the hood of the next generation Boss Mustang, let's just hope Ford agrees!!

Limited edition Models do bring people in the show room. Those who can't afford a new

Shelby GT500 or Shelby GT can afford a Mustang or GT and that helps Ford. You can get

a strip package on a Mustang that makes someone look close to see if is a V8 or V6.

I think this is great for those people who can't afford a big dollar car. Why not make a

Boss package with all the strips in a economical package V6 and a big buck V8 302 model ??

Limited edition Models do bring people in the show room. Those who can't afford a new

Shelby GT500 or Shelby GT can afford a Mustang or GT and that helps Ford. You can get

a strip package on a Mustang that makes someone look close to see if is a V8 or V6.

I think this is great for those people who can't afford a big dollar car. Why not make a

Boss package with all the strips in a economical package V6 and a big buck V8 302 model ??

While I fully support appearance package specials for the V6 cars, I would not want to see Ford offer a "Boss" appearance package on the V6 car. The Boss Mustang is about performance and using the same "appearance package" on a V6 car would lessen the impact of the Boss as a special edition performance model and lead to confusion among the general buying public.

Archived