TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 Boss Mustang

1970boss302

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fanatic, great summary!!!

I must admit I was in a hurry -- it was 1:30AM and wifey was giving me 'looks' <lol> I even forgot IRS!!! What was I thinking! :doh:

Actually, I suspect Ford knows what a Boss 302 needs to be; we're just keeping them honest (hopefully) on where they can't cut corners.

Got my fingers and toes crossed :baby:

<edit: no pun intended>

Actually Dan, I did forget one item - and I had no distractions when I was composing my response!! :doh:

Wheels: Lightweight 19" wheels, 19 x 9 fronts with 19 x 10 rears. Possibly offer one or more wheel options for differing tastes. I would like to see Ford offer a wheel design similar to those offered on the PJ Saleen as standard with maybe a Halibrand-style wheel as optional.

Actually Dan, I did forget one item - and I had no distractions when I was composing my response!! :doh:

Wheels: Lightweight 19" wheels, 19 x 9 fronts with 19 x 10 rears. Possibly offer one or more wheel options for differing tastes. I would like to see Ford offer a wheel design similar to those offered on the PJ Saleen as standard with maybe a Halibrand-style wheel as optional.

And, likewise, you're forgiven anyway <just kiddin'> ;)

Good point -- those PJ Saleens are really so much like the '70 TransAm racer's that I did a double-take the first time I saw them -- they are almost a must. And a Halibrand-like or Cragar-like alternative would also be nice -- actually, the cragar-style chromies on the GT would be kinda nice as a base wheel if they're fairly light (already in the parts bin) with the PJ-like 'bear-claw' spokers as an option ;-) But, yeah, Fanatic, light light light is the key!

When you think about it, there was so much attention to detail in the original Boss 302 -- in a way it was the first credible road-racer since the '65/6 Shelby GT350s (don't mean to dis any of the other variations) and that lineage sure needs a potent, well-execute ressurrection ;-)

And, likewise, you're forgiven anyway <just kiddin'> ;)

Good point -- those PJ Saleens are really so much like the '70 TransAm racer's that I did a double-take the first time I saw them -- they are almost a must. And a Halibrand-like or Cragar-like alternative would also be nice -- actually, the cragar-style chromies on the GT would be kinda nice as a base wheel if they're fairly light (already in the parts bin) with the PJ-like 'bear-claw' spokers as an option ;-) But, yeah, Fanatic, light light light is the key!

When you think about it, there was so much attention to detail in the original Boss 302 -- in a way it was the first credible road-racer since the '65/6 Shelby GT350s (don't mean to dis any of the other variations) and that lineage sure needs a potent, well-execute ressurrection ;-)

I would agree, the two most fitting examples of road racer inspired Mustangs from the '60's were the 65/66 Shelby's and the Boss 302's. I have always lusted after an original Boss 302 but to date lacked the $ to purchase one. Hopefully Ford won't disappoint with a new Boss Mustang and I can finally have one in my garage. :banana piano:

It would be great to have the 2009 Boss 302 have the same strip package as the

the 1969 Boss 302 had and the 2010 have the same as the 1970 Boss 302 had.

With the same options like shaker hood, rear spoiler , drag package, and an

interior upgrade.

What do you think of these options ??

I would also like to see the same colors as the 1969 and 1970 Boss 302 had.

interior upgrade.

Yea baby...give me a shaker. :happy feet:

interior upgrade.

I'd like to see Ford offer the stripe package, shaker hood and rear window slats as optional for those that want that look. I'm not a fan of all the stripes, shaker hood etc and prefer the clean, understated look with serious performance goods under the hood and in the chassis. A rear spoiler of some type is required as long as it doesn't look like a cheap add-on. I'd prefer and nicely executed duck tail but I'd also not be opposed to a tastefully done pedestal spoiler. The key with the pedestal spoiler is not to make it too "ricer" in appearance.

Personally, I don't think the '09 Boss 302 needs a Drag Pack, that should be offered on the Mach I, Twister, et al. The Boss should have an IRS for street/road course duty which would limit that model in a drag strip environment. However, the Mach I should have a rear stick axle and it makes perfect sense to offer the Drag Pack for that model.

As far as an interior upgrade, the only thing I'd like to see Ford offer over the base car in terms of interior pieces is an excellent set of well-bolstered cloth front bucket seats.

I'm with you on the colors and think it is mandatory that Ford offer a few Grabber Colors on the Boss along with the standard suite of colors including Metallic Black!! :drool:

I'd like to see Ford offer the stripe package, shaker hood and rear window slats as optional for those that want that look. I'm not a fan of all the stripes, shaker hood etc and prefer the clean, understated look with serious performance goods under the hood and in the chassis. A rear spoiler of some type is required as long as it doesn't look like a cheap add-on. I'd prefer and nicely executed duck tail but I'd also not be opposed to a tastefully done pedestal spoiler. The key with the pedestal spoiler is not to make it too "ricer" in appearance.

Personally, I don't think the '09 Boss 302 needs a Drag Pack, that should be offered on the Mach I, Twister, et al. The Boss should have an IRS for street/road course duty which would limit that model in a drag strip environment. However, the Mach I should have a rear stick axle and it makes perfect sense to offer the Drag Pack for that model.

As far as an interior upgrade, the only thing I'd like to see Ford offer over the base car in terms of interior pieces is an excellent set of well-bolstered cloth front bucket seats.

I'm with you on the colors and think it is mandatory that Ford offer a few Grabber Colors on the Boss along with the standard suite of colors including Metallic Black!! :drool:

I'd be ok with a simple console too if an optional interior were offered -- just for the pragmatics of glasses and wallets (hey, we're getting older and I don't like stuff in my pocket when driving ;-)

Even though a drag-pak was offered, I agree that IRS should take priority (no drag pack). But in the unlikely event Ford were to offer both a live axle in addition to IRS, then a drag-pack would be fine if Ford is so inclined. My point is just that it has to be curve carver as the TOP priority, even to the exclusion of ANY options if it can only be a one-flavor offering (in Ford's playbook). In which case I entirely agree that the Mach can be the go-straight drag-pak alternative.

The Boss ought to be as close as Ford can get to a lightweight street legal TransAm racer for $35K or so with minimum amenities: a/c, p/w, p/s, p/b and functional small console (which I'd forego if I had to).

One other thought: I'd actually like to see some serious road lighting on the Boss, whether in the grille or underneath there should be a provision for standard 7" round auxiliary lights. Ford could offer fogs or standard high-beams in the auxiliary location (whatever is needed to stay street legal and keep the build simple for Ford) such that I can easily substitute 'flamethrowers' or whatever I need without having to butcher the front of the car. 7" rounds probably offer the easiest build for Ford (GT grille?) that will still permit serious lighting to be substituted. Anyhow, just a thought -- but that would be important to me... a Boss without serious lighting possibilities would be disfunctional, IMO.

For me, a new Boss Mustang must have an IRS, no rear buggy axles. Heck, if the GT500 was to have been the ultimate performance Mustang, then it should have had an optional IRS but I digress. Regardless of how well the current Mustang performs with a solid rear axle, if Ford wants to step up to compete with the new Camaro and Challenger AND offer a true street/road race performance package, an IRS is a must. It would be a real shame if Ford steps up and offers a truly stellar new engine package (with the new Boss engine series) in the new Boss Mustang only to saddle it (pun intended :hysterical: ) with a suboptimal (from a handling standpoint) chassis.

We have spent alot of time addressing the powerplant for the new Boss Mustang but I personally want Ford to spend an equal amount of dollars and resources on refining the chassis to deliver truly stellar handling. For me, that means an IRS, lower ride height with stiffer springs and a more aggressive sway bar combination. I would even like to see Ford offer an adjustable shock package for the new Boss Mustang from the factory along with a few selected chassis stiffening pieces to add more torsional rigidity. As part of this equation, Ford needs to put the Boss on a diet. Shedding pounds while pumping up the chassis will yield the corner carving performance craved by myself and others.

Dan, to your final point regarding the lighting. I really hadn't given it much thought until you mentioned it and I assume the rationale behind the suggestion was to ease the addition of aftermarket lighting for racing conditions. I agree with your idea in principle but I wouldn't want to see Ford muck up the styling just to accommodate. However, offering the additional wiring and possibly the mounting brackets might be a good idea. The only concern I have is that if Ford were to accommodate such specialized requests, it could begin to add more weight to an already heavy car. I know it doesn't sound like much on the surface, but if Ford were to add that equipment for lighting, possibly additional heavy duty tow hooks to extract the car from off-course excursions, additional material in key areas to aid in the installation of a roll cage, etc. all of that could add up to a weight gain which I think we can all agree is not an objective. The bottom line for me would be if it can be achieved without sacrificing the main objectives of increased HP, stellar handling, awesome braking, and lighter weight then I would agree to its inclusion. IMHO I would characterize it as a “nice to have” and not a “must have”.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!! Hope everyone here has a safe and enjoyable holiday!! :)

The Boss ought to be as close as Ford can get to a lightweight street legal TransAm racer for $35K or so with minimum amenities: a/c, p/w, p/s, p/b and functional small console (which I'd forego if I had to).

One other thought: I'd actually like to see some serious road lighting on the Boss, whether in the grille or underneath

If they were to offer the GT500 front plastic with the HID system and make the lights an option(say $600 as a start for discussion) would that do it? I ask because I can't see Ford being able to add the kind of real drivers content we would like to see at a 35k price point. And this way we are not asking them to engineer a different HID system than for the cache' car. As well they wouldn't have to re crash test any new front end gear. I think I would prefer the GT500 front facia with just the brake cooling ducts and perhaps an option for foglights.

I will happily pay for less gingerbread up to the actual 40k which the GT500 was supposed to meet. I think we would like to see content over bling, but should be willing to pay for the content. Luxury is fine for other models(think Grande, the fat shelby's of the later years), but there seems to be a real interest in a pure car.

The question is can they justify a run of say 5k units if the costs are amortized over the entire line and the addition of another year on the aging platform. An even bigger question is if they have any interest in producing anything other than rental cars. If they can justify a run of badge and stickers jobs every year, they should be able to do a MY overlap run of true high performance oriented cars as well. Other manufacturers can get the job done with scarce resources, why not the team that created the modern niche market in the first place?

Fanatic, I think we're on the same page with the same priorities -- including IRS. I too prefer Ford does the Boss with serious pieces like upgraded shocks, sways and springs, but lower springs make for a transport problem and unique shocks and sways (as much as I do want them from the factory) add additional parts and build logistics that Ford is so reluctant to do these days. I'd LOVE for all that to be available right from the factory and a credible Boss demands such, but I'm ok with swapping those items if need be since it's relatively easy to do and no fabrication is required. (...and Dan Davis will be making many serious pieces available for it, undoubtedly, through FRP).

Sorry if I was unclear (my "flamethrower" and "TransAm racer-like" yearnings were possibly misleading <lol>) -- I didn't mean to suggest Ford doing anything in the build specifically in prep for racing (hardpoints for roll cage, etc) because I think they just won't do a Boss that overly complicates the build -- since it will likely have to go down the same line as other 'stangs OR will have to go out for special fitment -- at great expense to us. I fully agree with your points on that, Fanatic -- especially shedding pounds where at all possible and IRS ;-)

My lighting logic was more like this: in '69 Ford went to outer + inner headlights for the first time in a mustang -- somewhat like the current GT styling-wise -- and so might logically be inclined to honor that in '09 Boss styling. Since the lighting on the SN95s was abysmal and the S197 lighting is not much better for fast backroad night driving, fun night road ralleys and just enjoyable secondary road night driving in the boonies, I thought it would be so nice if that second set of lights (which Ford would undoubtedly put fogs in from the factory though historically they were highbeams, I believe), it would be easy for the enthusiast to replace them with upgraded lights since there's so much available for the standard round light housings.

I put Silverstars in the '01 Cobra and later replaced them with Pia (both are made to use the max wattage that the existing circuits can handle so all you have to do is replace the bulbs) and while both are much better than the standard lighting they are still woefully inadequate under the conditions I mentioned above and beg for supplemental lighting. On the SN95 the only alternative is to add lighting in the grille area (there's no actual grille on the '01 Cobra) and give up a bunch of cooling (must cover quite a bit of radiator opening) or try to find something usefull to stuff into the tiny 3-4" fog-holes in the fascia, figure how to mount it so it doesn't vibrate like crazy, and then rewire the circuit (it's inadequate for any usefull lighting), etc.

So I thought, since Ford will likely use something similar to the GT front clip with it's nice big round fog openings, there's tons of usefull lighting that the enthusiast can fit in that standard opening that will also work with the capacity of a standard headlight circuit -- if Ford thought ahead to wire it that way. Just takes someone at Ford to realize this -- no new parts required. Then we can all remove the useless lamps Ford will necessarily stick in there (because they can't exceed more than a fixed amount of forward-throw lighting under fed/state laws) and can just pop in usefull aftermarket bulbs or, better still, whole lamp assemblies that fit standard round headlight openings with no cutting, rewiring or fabrication whatsoever ;-)

Of course if you're into proofessional road rallying and such, that's a whole 'nother dimention -- didn't mean to imply Ford should be prefitting for any of that stuff (no way they would anyhow -- has to ride the same pony line).

Even though I really like the styling of the GT500 front clip a whole lot, like the '01 Cobra (and others) there's no easy way to add adequate lighting -- in fact it's frustrating as hell! Since the '09 Boss will most likely use 4 round lights (two fake 'styled' rounds [headlights] and, hopefully, two actual rounds in the grille/front somewhere, it's an opportunity for Ford to just use a standard headlight circuit which can accommodate most upgraded lighting -- just another aftermarket-friendly idea. Ford seems to have gotten the message on that for engines and exhausts, but not [yet] for lighting :idea:

Please, Ford, can you do that for us??? I know you can! ;-) If not (since it is another build variation, as simple as it is) just give me standard size headlight holes somewhere so I do my own thing without cutting and fabricating -- please??? ;)

:shift:

If they were to offer the GT500 front plastic with the HID system and make the lights an option(say $600 as a start for discussion) would that do it? I ask because I can't see Ford being able to add the kind of real drivers content we would like to see at a 35k price point. And this way we are not asking them to engineer a different HID system than for the cache' car. As well they wouldn't have to re crash test any new front end gear. I think I would prefer the GT500 front facia with just the brake cooling ducts and perhaps an option for foglights.

I will happily pay for less gingerbread up to the actual 40k which the GT500 was supposed to meet. I think we would like to see content over bling, but should be willing to pay for the content. Luxury is fine for other models(think Grande, the fat shelby's of the later years), but there seems to be a real interest in a pure car.

The question is can they justify a run of say 5k units if the costs are amortized over the entire line and the addition of another year on the aging platform. An even bigger question is if they have any interest in producing anything other than rental cars. If they can justify a run of badge and stickers jobs every year, they should be able to do a MY overlap run of true high performance oriented cars as well. Other manufacturers can get the job done with scarce resources, why not the team that created the modern niche market in the first place?

Hey JETSOLVER -- glad to see you in here, my friend! I hadn't seen your comments yet when Iposted above.

Yeah, an HID lighting option would be fine but I doubt Ford would do that (more build variations) but who knows?

I'd actually prefer the "fogs" option as long as they use standard-size ROUND openings -- possibly the GT500 front clip with fogs (that we can repurpose because they're on a usefull capacity lighting circuit) would be the ideal combo -- even of the "fogs" were optional. If the Boss is 75-100HP less than the GT500 there should still be adequate cooling area with that combo, yes? Potentially a nice compromise.

So I thought, since Ford will likely use something similar to the GT front clip with it's nice big round fog openings,

Yeah, an HID lighting option would be fine but I doubt Ford would do that (more build variations) but who knows?

I'd actually prefer the "fogs" option as long as they use standard-size ROUND openings -- possibly the GT500 front clip with fogs (that we can repurpose because they're on a usefull capacity lighting circuit) would be the ideal combo -- even of the "fogs" were optional. If the Boss is 75-100HP less than the GT500 there should still be adequate cooling area with that combo, yes? Potentially a nice compromise.

Your edit came through just as I was quoteing you. :doh:

I have decided to fight the forces of pointless posts with content. :victory:

I suspect that as there is already some concern and a fix in the form of a larger grill opening on the GT500, and the need for a car such as we propose to use as many existing parts as possible, some give on your concern for proper lighting may have to happen.

In the past, Ford did address the need for better lighting on the COBRA's at least in the 96-98 cars there is a specific more effective (and expensive) headlamp assembly and of course the round clear drivers lamps in the lower front corner. So there is at least a precident for this line of thinking(hopefully to extend to an entire car). Why they cheaped out on the GT500 is beyond me, but I am of the mind that there was a lot of "not quite" going on in that program. For my own selfish gains, I am very interested in trying to present Ford option for keeping every additional penny in development cost focused on the goal. If we concentrate on presenting as many specific options along those lines, we will be able to claim that we knew better all along when the next badge job takes a crap in the enthusiast world :ohsnap:

At least I will feel better for trying to offer solutions, instead of being satisfied with a new pallette of colors based on food products(see thread in gathering for the yummy :banghead: details)

+1, JET...

Have my 'voo-doo' mustang 'doll' that I can stick pins in whenever I hear rumors of tape-and-paint slight-of-hand <lol>

Fortunately, from the Boss 302 variations that Ford has courted for shows (both 'invited and 'permitted') I think they are sending a clear message that they "get it" and that the Boss will be an SE worthy of it's heritage -- at least that's my read. In contrast, we havent seen any 'invited' or 'permitted' Machs or Bullitts at Ford show spaces -- the only Mach at SEMA was Kalitta's '60s F/C (and that was outside <lol>).

I'm hoping that the Boss is the kickoff of Ford's "second track" (if you recall some threads from a cpuple months ago) -- first in a lightweight curve-carver series. At least we can hope. I think a tape and paint Boss would cause widespread :rant: , :finger: and :redcard: <lol>

On a separate not, I noticed that GM is testing the water on a new Chevelle in various trims: a site I saw shows like 5 different models -- they look to be the size and prioportion of the mustang A crazy thought went through my mind. Maybe GM is testing interest in a Chevelle family so that they can snooker Ford and do the Camaro based on the 'vette chassis and no V6 in the lineup. That would be very clever because it would up the ante to Mustang and force Ford either look technilogically backward OR ante-up and do the GR-1 or someting like that -- big money Ford is loath to spend. Since Challenger will be V8 only and likely based on a reasonable sophisticated Benz IRS chassis, Ford would, at a minimum, be forced to IRS and either a 'rift' in the mustang family (and/or adding a GR-1 -like offering). I think GM has figured out that no one except Ford wants them to do a V6 Camaro (my take).

:baby:

On a separate note, I noticed that GM is testing the water on a new Chevelle in various trims they look to be the size and proportion of the mustang A crazy thought went through my mind. Maybe GM is testing interest in a Chevelle family so that they can snooker Ford and do the Camaro based on the 'vette chassis and no V6 in the lineup. I think GM has figured out that no one except Ford wants them to do a V6 Camaro (my take).

Mustang only fans, I beg your indulgence for a few seconds.

You sly dog. I thought that I was perhaps alone in wondering if GM and its search for quick and easy solutions was about to pull a quick one based on the Holden chassis. The thing I saw however was somewhat different. Both of those Aussie platforms, the GM version of which IS about to go global in its redesign, and the Ford one which may or may not, are available in something simular to the old Ranchero and El Camino. If the domestics are looking for an easy new catagory to plunder, that woulod be an easy touch.

As you so very correctly pointed out, Ford could play its cards in such a way as to own the entire pony car market. The trick is to get the sort of engine in the base stang that can't be matched or competed with by the General. Im thinking of some pretty hi-tech stuff here, but Ford tends to put one or two engines in every car it has, so the possibility that will probably be missed is a hybrid. GM would be forced to roll over and die in this catagory if Ford dropped that nuke.

Mustang only fans, welcome back.

I get a little leary when I see overly clean carb or throttle body injector engines in trial balloon cars Dan.

Ford has a terrible history of showing stunning idea's and concepts and then they in no way shape or form come to production. The 500 we got vs. the concept is the latest greatest example, and I'm willing to bet the Reflex is as dead as well. As far a the BOSS concepts, well, they played up the engine to much and the chassis to little for me to place much hope in their basket( or mental dollars either). I also note how the latest press release mentions D.D. as the director of North American racing operations(WTF?) and then mentions NOTHING but NASCAR in the entire 400 word piece. For all the recent retoric from Bill on down regarding the great history and business case for and the benefits of racing, they seem to be of the mindset that racing involves sponsership, when the only truth is that for Ford, racing was engineering. Period. They justified the engineering expense by saying it sold on Monday, but every time that company has been looking for its soul, they end up finding a place to race and winning on talent and engineering elegance.

For anyone watching, I would be glad to provide examples for every ten years or so right up until 2005. I don't think that 25 boy racers or as many man racers really counts. Unless they put that darn engine in something saleable. It is 90% production sourced already. It wwould be stupid to waste all of that effort on 30-50 units. IMO

It may not matter anyway. I have let my eyes wander a little and I have found allure elsewhere in the auto world. Turns out you can get a lot of car for what Ford is letting the dealer priced GT500 go for. A LOT of car.

The thing I saw however was somewhat different. Both of those Aussie platforms, the GM version of which IS about to go global in its redesign, and the Ford one which may or may not, are available in something simular to the old Ranchero and El Camino. If the domestics are looking for an easy new catagory to plunder, that woulod be an easy touch.

Interesting -- one of the 5 "Chevelle" styles being shown on that site was an SS-styled El Camino with LS4 )SS396) and LS7 (SS427). That could have been the point of the whole site. What was also interesting was that all five models scripted about 3-5 seconds apart (if I recall) so you HAD to see all of them. There was a disclaimer at the bottom of the page that the site has no affiliation to GM -- probably because it's owned by a market analysis company, I thought. I tracked the website address thru a registry-service and it showed it registered to a guy in a suburb of Detroit -- hmmm. Yet the wording on the site was as if the models were available right now! Everything in presnet tense... Comparisons with Ranger and Ram. Model specifications -- clearly seemed like market research work of some kind. If I can find it again, I'll PM you.

I also note how the latest press release mentions D.D. as the director of North American racing operations(WTF?) and then mentions NOTHING but NASCAR in the entire 400 word piece. For all the recent retoric from Bill on down regarding the great history and business case for and the benefits of racing, they seem to be of the mindset that racing involves sponsership, when the only truth is that for Ford, racing was engineering. Period. They justified the engineering expense by saying it sold on Monday, but every time that company has been looking for its soul, they end up finding a place to race and winning on talent and engineering elegance.

And this is exactly the part that rips my heart and soul out. Ford has such talent -- always has -- but their conservativeness has nearly rivaled friggin' Cambells Soup at times! Yet when turned loose, the talent shines -- and therin lies the rub, me thinks. Dan Davis gives tidbit quotes on the boyracer/manracer programs in SVToA but a public piece on Ford Racing talks about only NASCAR ...hmmm. If NASCAR were actually going to embrace a class of factory bodied ponycar competition on road courses, fine <lol -- fat chance>.

JET, hang in there... when it starts looking like folks like you might look elsewhere, I really start to worry. -- your knowledge and research is always a pleasure!

-Dan

+1...I would prefer the GT500 front fascia with the HID system with optional grille mounted fog lights from the GT. Or Ford could offer an upgrade from FRPP to accomplish the same for those so inclined.

java script:emoticon(':banana piano:', 'smid_2')

:banana piano:

How about some good news about Ford and the coming Mustang Boss

models ????

With winter coming people get into the winter blues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for spring and some more BOSS news from Ford

Keep the Mustangs selling your company life may depend on it

Personally, I am hoping that we will get some Boss insight during the upcoming show season!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

I heard somewhere in just the past few days that there would be some mustang SE announced in January at NAIAS -- don't know what though... possibly it's the Mach?

...but I want the Boss :cry:

;)

I heard somewhere in just the past few days that there would be some mustang SE announced in January at NAIAS -- don't know what though... possibly it's the Mach?

...but I want the Boss :cry:

;)

+1!! I DEFINITELY want the Boss!! Could it possibly be the Bullitt? We still haven't seen a Bullitt concept, only the statement by Mark Fields that the Bullitt was next in '08. :shrug:

A credible tidbit here (post#39) seems to indicate the '09 Boss will be 5.8L H/Boss based ;)

The fact that it has Fields' attention (beyond HTT's) gives me a warm feeling that some serious money is being spent.

Re Bullitt -- good point, but why we need another GT with diff tape is beyond me, unless that nice niche motor from a couple months back with the argent-grey s/c was a Bullitt motor. I would have expected that to be the Mach motor. Of course, both could be true happening since Bullitt is likely just a GT option pack.

A credible tidbit here (post#39) seems to indicate the '09 Boss will be 5.8L H/Boss based ;)

The fact that it has Fields' attention (beyond HTT's) gives me a warm feeling that some serious money is being spent.

Re Bullitt -- good point, but why we need another GT with diff tape is beyond me, unless that nice niche motor from a couple months back with the argent-grey s/c was a Bullitt motor. I would have expected that to be the Mach motor. Of course, both could be true happening since Bullitt is likely just a GT option pack.

A much as I desire, lust for and generally must have a new Boss 302 Mustang, I think the reality is that you are right Dan, the '09 Boss will be packing a 5.8L Boss engine. As long as Ford keeps with the original theme of the Boss 302 which delivered high winding HP in a light weight, road race inspired chassis, I would accept a 5.8L variant. Let's just hope that if Ford chooses to offer the '09 Boss with the 5.8L engine that it doesn't turn out to be another over-weight luxo-muscle car like the GT500 instead of what it should be - an agile, well balanced performance pony car.

I would agree that I don't understand the logic behind yet another tape and stripe package for the GT. Hopefully the Bullitt will offer some substance and not just flash.

A much as I desire, lust for and generally must have a new Boss 302 Mustang, I think the reality is that you are right Dan, the '09 Boss will be packing a 5.8L Boss engine. As long as Ford keeps with the original theme of the Boss 302 which delivered high winding HP in a light weight, road race inspired chassis, I would accept a 5.8L variant. Let's just hope that if Ford chooses to offer the '09 Boss with the 5.8L engine that it doesn't turn out to be another over-weight luxo-muscle car like the GT500 instead of what it should be - an agile, well balanced performance pony car.

I would agree that I don't understand the logic behind yet another tape and stripe package for the GT. Hopefully the Bullitt will offer some substance and not just flash.

Ouch again.

I love The GT/CS I bought.

I can't wait for the GT500 I ordered.

Ouch again.

I love The GT/CS I bought.

I can't wait for the GT500 I ordered.

Rob, no offense man - no haters here!! The GT/CS is nice, just not for me. Personally, I'm very happy that you love yours. Owning a Mustang is all about personal choice and self expression and I, for one, am glad Ford is offering an increasing variety of options and models that appeal to different tastes, desires and budgets. If money were no object and my garage were big enough, I'd buy a GT/CS as a driver, a GT500 just because it has 500 HP and a Boss because it fits my personal definition of the ultimate Mustang. However, in the sad reality of mortgages and 529 plans, I have to save my pennies for just one and my first choice is a Boss!! It's all good, we are all friends here and I'm glad you got what you wanted, I'm just ready for it to be my turn!!

Just my personal opinion but I think the MT article was part BS and part reality. The reality is there will be a Boss Mustang but the BS is that it will be an '08 model. It will likely be an '09 model available sometime in calendar year 2008. I don't believe Ford would introduce a Bullitt and a Boss in the same model year (2008). Mark Fields has already indicated that the Bullitt is the next model to be forthcoming from Ford. As far as the rest of the info, I have to believe the Boss will have at least 400 hp and will use the Boss engine series (aka Hurricane) as the powerplant in a yet to be determined displacement (hopefully 5.0L but most likely 5.8L).

I'd like to see the Shaker hood as optional along with the Stripe Package. I do believe the Boss needs a distinctive exterior signature and the Base V6 just won't cut it. Here's what I would like to see Ford do with the exterior of the Boss: Take the GT500 nose, add an adjustable rear pedestal spoiler and a black out "honeycomb" trim panel between the rear tail lights.

I would like to see the BOSS build like the PJ Saleen is only drop the

orange or what ever that color is. Go with the 1970 Boss yelllow in stead.

I guess a lot of people will have visions of Boss's in their heads for Christmas

I would like to see the BOSS build like the PJ Saleen is only drop the

orange or what ever that color is. Go with the 1970 Boss yelllow in stead.

I guess a lot of people will have visions of Boss's in their heads for Christmas

Personally, I think the appearance of the PJ Saleen is the PERFECT interpretation of the Boss. Although I would prefer mine in Metallic Black, the Grabber Orange would be my second choice.

See the link below for some pics of Chuck's PJ, truly stunning!! :drool:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...2567&st=40#

Archived