TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MAF upgrade

I’m thinking about ordering the DIABLOSPORT MAF.ia and was wondering if anyone here has it installed or has any input on better options.

Thanks, Jeff

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mus...-maf-ia-p-14186

The MAF.ia will work but a better solution is to upgrde the MAF sensor. Either way you will require a custom tune.

Here are some options:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p...ent=30&pg=1

By the way I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the results of your build since it's very similar to what I am considering.

The MAF.ia will work but a better solution is to upgrde the MAF sensor. Either way you will require a custom tune.

Here are some options:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p...ent=30&pg=1

By the way I am REALLY looking forward to seeing the results of your build since it's very similar to what I am considering.

I emailed MV right before I posted this topic and they replied that the MAF upgrade was already in the works,must have slipped my mind since it was not on my estimate but it was talked about and recomended. They use chassis dyno's (MD-1750) and my results should be lower than they would be on a dynojet but they said I should expect to be making right at 600 rwhp on 93 octane pump gas without going with a ragged edge tune. You can believe that I will post the results immediately after I get them. Thanks for the reply.

Jeff

How do you know whether the upgraded MAF is necessary? I don't even have the MAF.ia. I'm running the OEM sensor and housing.

At over 500 RWHP, is this a necessary upgrade?

Ken

Hey Ken,

You may be OK with the stock MAF but you are probably near the limit. Do a data log and drive the car hard all the way to wide open throttle a couple of times and just below the rev limiter. Then go back and check your MAF output voltage on the data log. The MAF peaks out at 5.0 volts so you want to make sure you are not getting too close to peak. Maybe the guys that did your dyno runs have the data logs and can tell you what you were running.

I did not use the MAF.ia that came with the SAI Shelby Paxton kit and just had the car tuned with the stock MAF. It's reaching 4.8-4.9 volts at peak conditions so it's about as far as I want to go without upgrading the MAF.

Hey Ken,

You may be OK with the stock MAF but you are probably near the limit. Do a data log and drive the car hard all the way to wide open throttle a couple of times and just below the rev limiter. Then go back and check your MAF output voltage on the data log. The MAF peaks out at 5.0 volts so you want to make sure you are not getting too close to peak. Maybe the guys that did your dyno runs have the data logs and can tell you what you were running.

I did not use the MAF.ia that came with the SAI Shelby Paxton kit and just had the car tuned with the stock MAF. It's reaching 4.8-4.9 volts at peak conditions so it's about as far as I want to go without upgrading the MAF.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get the data log asap.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I just hooked my Livewire up and setup the performance monitor to trend the MAF voltage and MAF counts.

Once the engine was running, however, the MAF voltage meter just read "invalid". I cruised around the block and the MAF counts reading reached nearly 800, whatever that means.

Anyone have any suggestion as to why my Livewire wouldn't be reading the MAF voltage?

Ken

I emailed Justin at VMP about the MAF sensor reading or lack thereof. He says that the MAF counts reading is just as valuable. 205 counts = 1 volt.

So I ran the car up the freeway to the next exit and back, in order to get a MAF count reading closer to redline. At just under 6k RPM, I recorded a peak of 965 MAF counts.

Using Justin's calculation, at just under 6k RPM, my MAF sensor is at 92% of it's limit. It's probably safe to assume that it's at or above it's limit of 1025 counts closer to redline. So I'm definitely planning on upgrading to the VMP PMAX HPX sensor: http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p...3&parent=30

Does anyone know if the bigger MAF housings will cause any trouble connected to the Paxton cold air intake?

Ken

hpx.jpg

Archived