TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boulder County Fair Car Show 8/1/09

twobjshelbys

So today was one of the nicest days we've had in over a month. It literally has rained every day for over a month. Today was sunny and clear all day. I did some yard work this morning and finished about noon, took a shower and headed to the car show. It was at the Boulder County Fairgrounds in Longmont.

I took about 80 shots to I'll be posting them in groups of 10 to meet the limits of "the other site".

The Cobra is still at the tuner so I took the BJ SGT.

This time I remembered to take a picture of it:

DSC_4211.jpg

There was a huge presence of a PT Cruiser club. I for one am glad that they are going to continue making it. Our friends in Vegas have one and we like it so it might be a very high contender when Pam's Jeep gets replaced.

DSC_4212.jpg

This "rod" was there. It is awesome:

DSC_4214.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4216.jpg

This Ford wagon is gorgeous:

DSC_4217.jpg

DSC_4218.jpg

DSC_4219.jpg

The show was sponsored by a Corvette club, so there were lots of them The "co sponsor" was the Northern Colorado Mustang Club which had a huge presence.

I'm not a huge modern 'Vette fan, but I do like and respect the old ones.

This is a 67 "survivor". I spoke with the owner, but later found from a friend that when he bought it it was "like new" and that he let it sit outside for almost 20 years. The interior is almost perfect - we don't know why because leather doesn't do well with Colorado sun, but the paint is fading and the fiberglass is checking. The engine isn't the original. It would be a restorer's dream as all it would take is some paint work.

DSC_4223.jpg

DSC_4224.jpg

DSC_4226.jpg

DSC_4227.jpg

DSC_4229.jpg

DSC_4230.jpg

More 'vettes.

DSC_4231.jpg

DSC_4234.jpg

DSC_4233.jpg

That Willies is really nice, I have alway wanted to build one. I know where there is an original 1940 Willies car that was used for drag racing back in the 60s - 70s, but the owner will not part with it. Looks like you had a gread day. I really like when you get such a mix of cars at a show, something for everyone to look at.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Now for the "Wow factor"

This car won best of show. 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible. The guy that owns it is the second owner. These were very expensive cars then - 5000-6000. They went mostly to the dealers (the previous owner was the original dealer) as "draw cars".

DSC_4247.jpg

DSC_4248.jpg

DSC_4249.jpg

DSC_4250.jpg

DSC_4279.jpg

Now for the "Wow factor"

This car won best of show. 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible. The guy that owns it is the second owner. These were very expensive cars then - 5000-6000. They went mostly to the dealers (the previous owner was the original dealer) as "draw cars".

DSC_4247.jpg

DSC_4248.jpg

DSC_4249.jpg

DSC_4250.jpg

DSC_4279.jpg

Wow, thats a true Harley Earl design. While I like the advances and technology of the new cars, this old iron really gets my blood pumping. The technology of todays cars is great, but the styling of many of the pre 1965 cars is simply amazing.

Thanks for posting.

Case steam Tractor!!!!!

DSC_4288.jpg

DSC_4289.jpg

DSC_4290.jpg

DSC_4291.jpg

It was being driven by two young men, maybe in their late teens or early twenties. I asked them if I coud get up onto the "cab" to take a picture:

DSC_4292.jpg

I stepped off and one of them offered to open up the firebox:

DSC_4293.jpg

DSC_4294.jpg

DSC_4295.jpg

As they started to pull away I put the camera on manual (yes, you can do that) and opened up the apterture to max, and slowed the shutter to about 1/15 sec to "blur the motion". Like the Stanlye Steamers, this thing was totally silent as ait rambled away.

DSC_4296.jpg

DSC_4297.jpg

DSC_4298.jpg

DSC_4299.jpg

DSC_4300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived