TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First oil change

SPEEDY168

Ok I have looked in the owners manual about when to do the first oil change, but I cant find anything specific. I have an 08 and just hit 1000 miles. My question is. When does Ford recommend we do the first oil change. It was built Feb 08 (I know it needs the TSB) so its been sitting for a while before I got it. It only had 394 miles when I bought it. I know there is a break in period for new engines, but I dont know what we consider "broke in" for a GT500. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ok I have looked in the owners manual about when to do the first oil change, but I cant find anything specific. I have an 08 and just hit 1000 miles. My question is. When does Ford recommend we do the first oil change. It was built Feb 08 (I know it needs the TSB) so its been sitting for a while before I got it. It only had 394 miles when I bought it. I know there is a break in period for new engines, but I dont know what we consider "broke in" for a GT500. Any advice would be appreciated.

for me i did it first 1000 i plan on doing it every 3000

I was "told" the first sevice is at 10K... I was like "seriously"???

I am not going by that...

I had the first oil change done at 500 kilometers and just had it done again yesterday at 2000 kilometers... Now I will prob extend it to every 3K...

May be overkill but I figure she's worth it!!

edited to the 3k I meant to type...

Just curious but what type of oil does the gt500 suppose to use? I bought mine used at 1100 miles and im not sure if it was changed prior to when i bought the car. I have put about 900 miles ever since then so now I am at 2000. The car was built in 09/08 and was purchased by me in 05/09. Do you think i should take it in for service? If so, then how much do you think the dealer charges for an oil change?

Sorry. I am not a mechanic type of guy.

Thanks

I was actually told every 12,000 kms by my dealership , but will probably do it once a year at storage time, given the fact I probably will only put on around 3000 km's a year, my personal mecahnic still recommends an oil change every 5000 km's even though the oil is performance synthetic and I think that is good advice...

Just curious but what type of oil does the gt500 suppose to use? I bought mine used at 1100 miles and im not sure if it was changed prior to when i bought the car. I have put about 900 miles ever since then so now I am at 2000. The car was built in 09/08 and was purchased by me in 05/09. Do you think i should take it in for service? If so, then how much do you think the dealer charges for an oil change?

Sorry. I am not a mechanic type of guy.

Thanks

It's identified on your oil filler cap and your GT500 owner's manual supplement:

5W50 Synthetic oil that meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C931-B. Several brands of 5W50 motor oil meet this speccification - Motorcraft, Roush/Valvoline and Castrol Syntech.

IF you have your dealer change the oil they will use the Motorcraft oil, which runs anywhere between $10 and $11/ quart (or more). Each change requires 6.5 quarts so 7 quarts will run you $77, plus a $5 filter = $82 for oil/filter alone. You'll have to factor in labor. They will potentially make a mess on the undercarriage when they remove the oil filter so make sure to have them clean it up.

Sorry guys, I did change mine at the 1000 mile marker, but I also change it at the 5000 mile interval. I'm not paying these idiots at the dealership to replace my oil. Not insulting anyone, but it's not a major overhaul of the engine to change the oil. I buy the Motorcraft oil, and fileter, Jack the car up, and remove the drain plug, let it drain into a oil pan, then remove the filter, clean up the filter area, and the drain plug area put the plug back in, then install new filter, and install new oil. Maybe 30 minutes at most. All I pay for is the oil and filter, and not some newbe wanta be mechanic at $45.00 an hour to replace my oil..

DIY for $55.00 with Castrol and Motorcraft filter.

They used 5W50 full synthetic (as per owners manual) and Ford racing filter (FL820R). In addition they lube everything that is needed under the car, top off all fluids, check tire air pressure, heck they even blow the break dust off!! Lol....The way i see it, doing it myself equals to about $80 per year savings for 2 oil changes!!! I'd rather have them do it, JMHO....

They used 5W50 full synthetic (as per owners manual) and Ford racing filter (FL820R). In addition they lube everything that is needed under the car, top off all fluids, check tire air pressure, heck they even blow the break dust off!! Lol....The way i see it, doing it myself equals to about $80 per year savings for 2 oil changes!!! I'd rather have them do it, JMHO....

Doing it myself and knowing that it was done right .... priceless!

Doing it myself and knowing that it was done right .... priceless!

Oh i'm right there under the car while it is done! I have a good long term relationship with my dealer, so they let me be there at the service bays. And trust me, after 6 vehicles purchased and serviced there in 4 years, they know what i am all about, so getting it done right is a non issue.

Too many variables for me to trust a dealer with this.

6.5 quarts seems to be a challenge they might not be able to handle. Make sure they give you the remaining 1/2 quart as proof. A friend had to sue a lube shop to replace a motor in a 911 because they overfilled it and oil foamed and lost pressure... He won and got a new motor, but lots of hassles....

While you are at it, make sure they show you the 5W50 bottles, as I could see them putting 5W20 in, since they have one track minds...

Watch the front splitter for damage. Getting the car on off the lifts is beyond the talent level of some.

If they check the tire pressure, you might want to recheck it, as they might have taken them to 40PSI.....I have had that happen with a different car....

Some oil changers are car nuts, and will do an awesome job....others don't care at all and even have bad attitudes. It is a roll of the dice...

Too many variables for me to trust a dealer with this.

6.5 quarts seems to be a challenge they might not be able to handle. Make sure they give you the remaining 1/2 quart as proof. A friend had to sue a lube shop to replace a motor in a 911 because they overfilled it and oil foamed and lost pressure... He won and got a new motor, but lots of hassles....

While you are at it, make sure they show you the 5W50 bottles, as I could see them putting 5W20 in, since they have one track minds...

Watch the front splitter for damage. Getting the car on off the lifts is beyond the talent level of some.

If they check the tire pressure, you might want to recheck it, as they might have taken them to 40PSI.....I have had that happen with a different car....

Some oil changers are car nuts, and will do an awesome job....others don't care at all and even have bad attitudes. It is a roll of the dice...

That is why i am right there watching them when they work on my cars....well that and car talk with Ray (the master tech), but i know what you mean...i have read a lot of horror stories with dealers

Archived